Hash, Inc. Forums

2 color render

Have any of you seen the recent Jose Cuervo ads on TV and have suggestions on how to light and render models in A:M in the choreography to simulate that look? It seems to be a 2-color (red/black) psuedo toon render in 3d, with the shadows being black. I write "psuedo" toon render because it seems like there is depth to the scorpion model though it is only two colors.

I just watched one and it's definitely full color. It just uses a lot of reds. There do seem to be some composite elements, but I'd suspect the coloring and contrast is happening in the compositing.

• Hash Fellow

Is this the one?

MB4yqvTiHLM

Yeah, I think that's mostly a case of choosing to make the models red. Carefully design around a reddish pallet.

I recall a production designer for "Saving Private Ryan" said they were often asked how they got certain shots to look so green. Basically they designed the sets to have lots of green on them.

A quick an dirty experiment with A:M might be to edit all the surface colors so everything is shades of grey and then light the scene with reddish lights.

In the commercial they have a spectrum of yellows for lights to reds for darks, that would be a bit beyond a lighting color choice. Most of the elements in that commercial are hand drawn and painted so it's not a big deal to make them any color they want.

• Hash Fellow

here's a quick idea for a lighting-only solution... A green light with a short reach and a red light with a longer reach are placed in the same spot.

up close, red + green makes yellow but faraway, red only makes ...red! The vases are all white.

It's not the same as the ad but it's an effect with a bit more spectrum variety to it than just red.

CuervoColor.JPG

Here's the same test with the vases color set to a slightly reddish grey. Makes a big diference.

CuervoColorB.JPG

• Hash Fellow

Here's a variation on the theme. The vases have specular color set to green. In combination with the red light they show a yellow-gold highlight instead of a pink one.

CuervoColorC.JPG

Thanks for the replies, Mark & Robert!

I'll dive into better lighting with more colors as you suggest, Robert. In the meantime, here's a render that I have done with basically just red/black.

camera: black bacground

devil model:red diffuse/black specular_size 100%/intensity 140%

terrain model: black diffuse/ red specular

4 lights: Rim=default/Fill=default/1st Keylight=default white facing up at devil model/2nd keylight backlighting facing down at terrain_color red

I actually like this look for my purposes, though it's not the look from the ad.

Thanks!

red1.tga

Here's a variation on the theme. The vases have specular color set to green. In combination with the red light they show a yellow-gold highlight instead of a pink one.

CuervoColorC.JPG

Yes - this looks great, Robert! I'll dive into this look per your suggestions soon. This seems like a great start to get a fuller color pallet similar to the ad - thanks!