Hash, Inc. Forums

Problem creating indent in surface

Roger

• *A:M User*

So I managed to settle on a project for the sci-fi contest, and if I finish it early I may do another entry. It seemed like a relatively straight-forward bit of modeling, but something isn't working quite right.

It could be that I haven't sat down in front of AM for so long that I'm missing something obvious.

Here is my problem: I've got one rectangular surface with another rectangle inside, and I'm trying to push the inner rectangle inwards to create a depression or indent in this robot (I would post an image but it will be immediately obvious what my project is, I think).

I thought I knew what the problem was, I didn't have any splines connecting the 2 areas, so I put 2 splines per side and then pushed the inner panel inwards. While it looks right in wireframe mode it doesn't look right in shaded mode, there does not appear to be any indent at all.

What do you figure I did wrong?

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do. Although now I don't know why the inner panel doesn't render, since 4 points should be a valid patch.

example.jpg

I guess they must be, but how could they not be on the same spline? It seems like they would more or less have to be on the same spline.

I see why it would fill with the 3 point patches, but it seems as if it should also fill the other way. But I realize that may just be the way it works.

Ok, after seeing your example I see how to fix it and was able to close off the inner panel. I just wonder why I didn't run into this before. Maybe I just never tried to create this type of depression before now, or forgot to create the interior patches in order for it to close properly. I guess this underscores the need to get back to daily Hashing. :blush:

tray.jpg

I'm sure it has, and I'm just rusty as heck and forgot.

However, made the correction and still have a solid surface with no indent. You mind if I shoot you an email?

Ok, I think I know what is happening now.

The center panel is closed off properly, but none of the other facets of the panel are. Since none if the other facets are closed off properly, the only one that is rendering is the main one, thus hiding the others. I'm pretty sure that is what is happening, anyway.

Edit: Well, I think some variation on the above must be what is happening, but what I've tried to fix it isn't working, so I'm going to step away for a bit and give it another whack a bit later.