Hash, Inc. Forums

"Equal and opposite reaction" when moving some bones

Hey all,

I seem to be getting sort of an "equal but opposite" reaction when moving certain bones--like cameras...after many frames of sitting still, if I want the bone or camera, etc. to pan or move in a certain direction, in the chor, I'll make the move then, when keying through the chor, I find that the bone has, before the previously mentioned keyframe, moved an *opposite* direction in the same distance so that, by the keyframe, it's back at the starting point to do the move I had originally intended. ??

I'm able to obviate this somewhat by going into the timeline and straightening the bone line out, but it's getting frustrating.

Almost as if the program were treating bone movement like a modeling spleen, how, to keep a smooth shape, the spleen will change to accomidate the new CPs...

I dunno whether I tripped something in the UI or what, but I can't find any mention of it in the techref.

any pointers, as always, are appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

I suspect it would be easier to help if you post a screen capture of the timeline showing the problem...or a simple chor that has the problem right before you correct it.

I do not understand your problem from your description. But I have noticed some funnies with 18f/64 and the display of the special manipulator handles for translate & scale. The ghost handles that appear will move in the opposite direction when translating the bone in y and z direction. I believe they will move in same direction when translating the bone in x direction.

Not sure if you are encountering something related to this.

I have an nvidia gtx650ti. This does not happen in 18a/64

18ftranslatemanipulator.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Almost as if the program were treating bone movement like a modeling spleen, how, to keep a smooth shape, the spleen will change to accomidate the new CPs...

I also only have a foggy idea of what you are describing

A:M DOES treat the interpolation between keyframes with a spline as you see in the curve editor.

If you want the stretch between two keyframes in the same location to have no movement, select them and set them to "zero slope". The keyboard shortcut for that is zero (not the zero on the num pad)

Hi Darth-

While animating- keep your channel editor open and set so you can see your keyframe's splines. This is very important. Click on a bone (here I have the Left Hand Controller Bone selected) and you will see that bones animation channels. THIS is where 90% of animation happens, unfortunately. I have been toying with other animation softwares and have not found one with such a gracious and easy to use channel editor... for instance, in A:M I can click on any of the colored lines between keyframes and drag to create a new keyframe where I want it. This is a very simple and straightforward operation, but other apps make you jump thru hoops to do something similar... also, click-and-drag a box around a group of keyframes- very easily done! Now you have options to scale or move(arrow keys left-right-up-down)

Hope this helps.

tempry.jpg

That scene is from a TV Commercial campaign I am working on where I am mixing Tireman with live-action scenarios... FUN! I will be sharing details and movies soon.

Sweet! Looks good. Trying to get my head around compositing, also. Had a still of my fire guy out in the apartment parking lot. Got the light color and angle pretty close, but had a hard time with the shadow.

RIch