Hash, Inc. Forums

Version 18 E beta?

Tore

When looking at the change log page at Mantis/Reports, it appears there allready is a version 18 e? But the latest downloadable version is 18 d...

I just wanted to test if the fixes in 18 e, has made the ugly d-version crashes go away on my computer. Is there an adress where I can download 18 e (maybe as a beta)?

When looking at the change log page at Mantis/Reports, it appears there allready is a version 18 e? But the latest downloadable version is 18 d...

I just wanted to test if the fixes in 18 e, has made the ugly d-version crashes go away on my computer. Is there an adress where I can download 18 e (maybe as a beta)?

v18.0e should be up today late my time. I just got back yesterday.

Aaaarrrgghh!! Keeping my fingers crossed unfortunately didn't help. As you predicted Robert, 18e crashes my computer just as hard, if not harder, as 18d.

Regardless of settings and whatever mode A:M is in, as soon as I interact with the realtime display (mouse or wacom pen, it doesn't matter) the computer freezes and will have to be hardware restarted.

Tried several times, and the last time my trashcan was damaged. So now I don't dare to run A:M 18d or 18e, and have uninstalled.

Guess I'll have to keep waiting and keep fingers crossed. Sad though - had so looked forward to use all the new additions...:-(

Wonder if I should make a new report to Mantis, or just make a comment to the old crash report?

Tore... is your graphics card NVidia or AMD?

Is your computer a desktop or laptop?

Hewlett-Packard desktop

Pentium dualcore 3.2 Ghz

4 GB Ram

Win 7 Home Premium service pack 1

Wacom tablet

NVidia Geforce 405 card 64bit 2815 mb graphic memory - driver vers. 335.23

Screen res: 1920x1080

I know nothing about this - and haven't tested 18e yet - but are you using opengl3? or opengl?

I have nvidia - GTX 650 ti, 1gb, driver 331.82

using opengl3 and 18d/64

NO wacom.

Have not tried opengl (there were problems with it on my other system - so I'm not wanting to try)

Can you disconnect wacom?

Have tried shifting between openGL and openGL3 doesn't change anything. Nor does it when using a standard mouse instead of the Wacom: crash so hard that I am not even able to restart the computer, but have to pull the plug.

Also have tried both 32bit and 64bit versions: the same crash.

I am not squimish about opening the computer and replacing stuff, but I do not have good experiences with AMD graphics card, so I'll stay with NVidia. Everything works perfect, smooth and completely crash free with any Animation Master prior to 18d.

Once - and only once - I was able to grab a screen and save it before the computer died. It looked like this (notice that all patches on the selected model has disappeared):

Guess it is an issue with A:M 18d/e not communicating properly with openGL3?

• Hash Fellow

That's the error message i get sometimes too.

Today i experimented with going back to a two-year old NVidia driver and that got slightly better behavior, I could do a few more button presses and screen Turns before the crash.

But generally the same situation where OpenGL3 works but OpenGl doesn't.

If you should have the opportunity to borrow an AMD card, give it a try, it's a temporary experiment.

I am using opengl3, and yes it is probably something related to AM (past 18b) and:

I don't know if any of this is relevant, but I will throw some stuff out to consider (that you have probably tried already):

I notice your bones are in stick mode - This happens even if NOT in stick mode? (I'm afraid to try stick mode, based on what you're seeing).

my installation for 18d/64 says SSE4 - Are you running with that as well? If I didn't install with SSE4 - then the version says SSE3. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Does this happen with any new project/chor ? 1 object 1 bone? Standard bone.

All I noticed funny (so far) in 18d is when I imported old model without materials, decals etc (canceled them), that part of the model went "clear" in shaded wireframe, but it eventually came back when I dragged it to chor

• Developer
Just looked over at the Mantis - it seems Steffen has solved the problem!!! :-)

woo hoo! what was the problem?

and by the way - How do you get bones to show in stick mode? - I haven't located the magic button yet.

You can find it under

Tools -> Customize -> Commands -> Draw

• Developer

For the driver problem .

The error messages (for nvidia gpu's) means , that the gpu was "overrunning" with opengl commands from the application (in special glBegin/glEnd, which are producing a errorstate when no draw commands are in between) , for the amd gpu's , it's loke like they are more tolerant in such a case .

If this error occurs , please try to use the wireframe view , or reduce the resolution for shaded views (Decrease Subdivisions) .

For the driver problem .

The error messages (for nvidia gpu's) means , that the gpu was "overrunning" with opengl commands from the application (in special glBegin/glEnd, which are producing a errorstate when no draw commands are in between) , for the amd gpu's , it's loke like they are more tolerant in such a case .

If this error occurs , please try to use the wireframe view , or reduce the resolution for shaded views (Decrease Subdivisions) .

Thanks for the response and for all you do, Steffen!

Is this for ALL nvidia's?

Is it ONLY in versions 18 of A:M?

Does it happen only with stick bones? or ANY bones?

Were you able to change something in A:M for next release, so that it doesn't overflow?

thanks again

• Hash Fellow

My guesses...

Is this for ALL nvidia's?

Only if yours has the problem.

Is it ONLY in versions 18 of A:M?

The problem doesn't appear before v18c

I had the problem even with regular bones.

Were you able to change something in A:M for next release, so that it doesn't overflow?

If Steffen couldn't improve it I don't think he would have changed the status to "resolved" it would just be "closed" or still open.

He has the fix listed in v18f so we'll need to wait for that to see.

I had the problem even with regular bones.

I can add that in my case AM crashed if I just rotated or zoomed the view - wether in bones mode or not.

Looking forward to 18f, that hopefully solves this nasty one. Thanks in advance, Steffen! :)

• Hash Fellow

One the confusing things about this is that it only happens (for me) in the chor. I've been twisting and turning and boning things in the model window for weeks without a problem.

i wonder what's different? :unsure:

• Hash Fellow

Right after I posted, the preview of 18f landed in my lap and it does now survive the maneuver that was causing the freeze. :yay:

Hopefully when it's released Tore will find it robust also. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, Rob, I have to report that 18f do not solve any of the problems I have had with d and e. Running it in openGL3 instantly freezes/crashes computer (when operating the choreography window just the slightest).

Running in openGL mode and with the subdivisions at the lowest, allowed me to make some very very carefull rotations of the view, and to take some screendumps:

Layers are still drawn in front of patches - in this case the black door, that should be behind the characters.

Here the patches on the active model suddenly disappeared:

And here some really weird stuff began to happen:

Also some weirdnes with skeletons drawn partly stickmode and partly standard mode.

And shortly after that: total freeze over...

The same goes for the 32bit version.

It is nearly five in the morning here in copenhagen, so I better grab some sleep now.

Goodnight :)

PS: for comparison, here is how the same scene looks in 18b with openGL3 on:

• Hash Fellow

Oh well... guess we got wait until Steffen gets back and he's out for a while.

I still think you ought to try to find a really cheap AMD card in the clearance bin and slap it in and see what happens.

Just tried a clean install of my geforce driver and then installed the A:M 18f 32bit version. The result wasn't excatly encouraging:

Every piece of 3D and graphics software apart from A:M18d-e-f runs super fast, smooth and without the slightest glitch on my machine:

Blender, Messiahstudio, Makehuman, 3DCoat, ZBrush, TwistedBrush, Painter AND Animation Master 18B (and previous versions).

So it has to be an incompatability/error introduced in A:M d and upwards.

I know that you, Rob, had (has?) similar problems, but is there anybody else experiencing this?

And what should I do regarding error reporting? File new reports in mantis, or just comment on the old ones (they all have the status "Solved")?

• Admin
is there anybody else experiencing this?

I'm not seeing any of this strangeness BUT I'm operating on Win 8.1 with non-nVidea graphics card.

And what should I do regarding error reporting? File new reports in mantis, or just comment on the old ones (they all have the status "Solved")?

I think you'll have to open a new report because those designated solved probably don't allow you to add/edit.

Reference the old report where appropriate.

Well I thought it was just us Mac users with NVIDIA cards suffering here.

Tore you have my complete understanding about how frustrating this is getting.

Like you Tore, A:M is my only app having NVIDIA graphics problems. Though it has been a problem for some time now on Macs, the v18 run of A:Ms are the worst for these graphics issues and crashing.

I must say here though that Steffen is still trying to fix this but, at least on the Mac side, he is having to bug hunt "blind" as it were because his Mac doesn't use an NVIDIA card. Sadly all iMacs and MacBookPros do use them :( .

Yes you can reopen threads marked as "Solved" in AM Reports. I've had to do this myself for similar reasons to you.

Just give him as much info as you can, I've made some screen recordings as well for him to help him see what's happening. Hopefully he will get to the bottom of it soon and be able to fix it.

Screen_Shot_2014_05_03_at_14.22.44.png

Yes it is really frustrating, Mark! Especially as I really would like to have the new features introduced in 18d. I found a thread on the net, that recomended going back to NVidia driver 314.22 or earlier to solve freeze ups. Tried it, but it had no positive effects. Still getting really weird graphics stuff. But it kinda' looks nice and arty, so these dumps maybee could fit into my next exhibition ;-)

• 4 months later...

If you change Graphiccard manufacturer (without formating your hard drive) you may need to use a driver eraser first for Nvidia drivers. At least it has been that way two years ago.

Otherwise the Nvidia driver will interfere with the new Catalyst driver on the system.

Maybe that is the problem.

See you
*Fuchur*