Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Help, I'm a dunce and my new computer is WAY faster than my old one!

NancyGormezano

Something is very wrong, and it might be because I don't understand optimizing win7 or..I might have purchased a DOG.

I need help with finding out why new system is performing so badly (compared to old)..not much of a speed up at all, and in the case of running 16b/32 - it's slower.

OLD system: xp pro 32, core2duo 3.2ghz, 3GB, nvidia 8600 256

NEW system: win 7-64 pro, i7-4770 3.4 (up to 3.9 - whatever that means), 16gb, nvidia gtx 650 1 gb. (dell xps 8700 special edition)

I am running Robs benchmark test and results are disappointing, surprisingly.

I can only compare old and new with render times for ver16b/32 since old system was Xp pro 32 OS

on 16b 32 (see http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...t&p=379866)

OLD system: 6:01

NEW system: 7:46! yikes

So I tried out the 64bit versions of A:M on NEW system and get

17g: 5:02

18d: 4:59

Not very stellar. This is nowhere near what others are getting (bigboote, robcat, steffen), for what I thought were similar and some less speed cpus. What am I doing wrong? or what settings might I look at to see what might be causing this? Are there some settings that I can change? Or did I just get a pig and order the wrong setup?

other things:

Should I not install A:M with sse4 option checked?

When I look at my resource monitor as A:M is rendering I THINK I see 4 cpu's fired up (when I am only doing 1 frame) - not sure what's going on - that seems strange.

IS HYPERTHREADING a problem? how do I turn off?

Other processes running that I should be aware are hogging something? Should I not be running in Admin mode?

What is Steffen doing to get such AMAZING render times on his systems? info repeated here:

Intel Core i7-2600k (3,4 GHz)

32GB memory

Win7 Pro 64bit

A:M 16.0b 2:37

A:M 17a2 2:16

even faster

1:35

i7-4770

32gb memory

gtx660

V18 alpha3 (but the speed hit is coming from the cpu , not from the version , with V17g nearly the same time)

Help help help - Please. Not sure where, how to proceed. Where should I look? This is still within 30 day period. Is there bloat ware impacting the performance that I'm not aware of?

Dell diagnostics on HW test out fine (everything passed, found no anomalies)

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Well, that's disappointing!

First thing I would look into is the Control Panel>Power Options and see what is set there for a "plan"

You can create and name a new one there and then do "Change Plan Settings">Change Advanced Power Settings> Processor Power Management>Minimum processor state>100% to encourage your computer to run at full speed.

Give that a try and report back.

I find that even with that set i still have to run three instances of A:M to trick it into running at full speed.

I just tested v18 for the first time now...

If I run just one A:M the benchmark takes 5:09, if i run three A:Ms it takes 4:52

Those times are with my CPU ostensibly running at 2.4GHz

If I use a utility that came with the mother board i can bump it to 3.0GHz and get 3:54.

here is what performance monitor looks like when A:M 18d SSE4 is running. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with anything, BUT funny things that I see (that I don't understand) are:

1) what does CPU parked mean?

2) why is A:M OS context windows Vista?

3) why are 4 Cpu's churning when only rendering 1 frame?

performancemonitor.jpg

First thing I would look into is the Control Panel>Power Options and see what is set there for a "plan"

You can create and name a new one there and then do "Change Plan Settings">Change Advanced Power Settings> Processor Power Management>Minimum processor state>100% to encourage your computer to run at full speed.

Give that a try and report back.

I find that even with that set i still have to run three instances of A:M to trick it into running at full speed.

I just tested v18 for the first time now...

If I run just one A:M the benchmark takes 5:09, if i run three A:Ms it takes 4:52

Those times are with my CPU ostensibly running at 2.4GHz

If I use a utility that came with the mother board i can bump it to 3.0GHz and get 3:54.

I changed the minimum processor state to 100% (it was at 5%, the maximum processor state was 100%) - but it didn't make much difference with 18d (4:57, from 4:59). Have not tried running multiple A:M's. Maybe the maximum can be increased? Sounds risky?

On the resource monitor still looks like A:M only consumes 13% cpu usage - but the maximum frequency is shown as 102%. I don't think upping minimum cpu usage impacts significantly -I think that's just an indication of the cpu resources that the process is consuming - and a low number probably indicates it's not running out of resources.

I suspect it's the maximum frequency might be the issue? But I don't know how to test if processor is running at 3.4GHz really (that's what it is rated when do a Belarc) and have no idea how to up (push? overclock?) the frequency. I do not have any utility that I am aware of to change the frequency.

• Hash Fellow

the 3.9 figure for your CPU is for "turbo" which I think means it's available when running something that needs just one core (like one instance of A:M) i have no idea if that is automatic or if there is a control for that.

You are using the render preset that goes with the benchmark, right?

I didn't change anything other than file location to jpg : Final (multipass off), shadows, reflections 2, 640 x480

Here's some explanation of "Core Parking"

oy oy oy that sounds dangerous to change - will look into that later

the 3.9 figure for your CPU is for "turbo" which I think means it's available when running something that needs just one core (like one instance of A:M) i have no idea if that is automatic or if there is a control for that.

And that is what is confusing me - because it looks like 4 cores (4 threads?) are running with only 1 instance of A:M, rendering only 1 frame. Maybe it was because I installed with SSE4? - I will reinstall without that option.

And I was noticing that with last tweak to power performance - the core parking "cpu" would change as the processing went on...I guess that's because of how hyperthreading works?

EDIT: I reinstalled a copy of 18d without sse4 (now says it is sse3) - time went down to 4:55 (not significant change)

Edited by NancyGormezano

I didn't change anything other than file location to jpg : Final (multipass off), shadows, reflections 2, 640 x480

It's supposed to be 320x240

reallly!!!! are you sure? TESTING right now - I hope I hope I hope that was the problem! I don't remember ever changing the resolution in the project (used project that was on my old HD)

RESULT - 1:35!

really??? 320 x240???

oh - so good!

EDIT: And here is why I had been rendering at the wrong resolution: I hadn't checked "use settings from camera" because I had just installed A:M and hadn't tweaked it to how I usually run - so default comes up as VGA, and I hadn't gone back to first post of the thread for instructions!

Kiss Kiss Kiss kiss !!!! I am sooooooo happy - thank you thank you thank you !

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Hash Fellow

I thought I already had that render preset in the benchmark thread but I've put it there now.

That should be used in versions 16 or later, but it should be the same settings as in the Benchmark PRJ so i think your test is valid.

You might try it on your old computer just to be sure of the comparison.

You might try it on your old computer just to be sure of the comparison.

Pretty sure I tested with "use settings from camera" as that is my usual default setting on 16b, 18a on old computer - but YES, I will check when I next turn it back on.

Thanks again and again and again!

1:35 is pretty amazing. The time for the computer I had when i made the benchmark scene was over 19 minutes. :o

I agree 1 million percent! :yay:

Just checked old computer and yes it was rendering 320 x 240 at 6:03 in 16b/32.

The following is more of a "status update" and "still to do" list: (ie, justifying why it took me 3+ years just thinking about upgrading)

In general, I am very pleased with new monitor (HUGE), and the responsiveness of new system. But this has not been an easy migration - as I am running into ...uh... more like creating self-induced... gotchas GALORE.

In general most OLD OLD programs are installing and working well and better than I thought (Family tree maker, Thumbs plus, Pmail) so I'm pretty pleased. Other stuff - without a hitch also: Google Earth, SynbackSE, Garmin basecamp, Image Composite Editor, Audacity, Bookmarks.

MS Office (2000) - would not work - BUT OpenOffice is MAHRVELOUS and works a treat!

Quicktime Pro is still a mess (could not get the 7.7.5?) but was able to get my 7.6.something to run (after paying $30), except that I still keep getting security warnings about from firefox whenever try to play movies (but can play anyhow)

More dumb stuff that I have done (in addition to not running A:M benchmark correctly): tried to install PSPad, and went into brain dead mode when I clicked on allowing them to install some 3rd party crap (thought I was saying yes to EULA, and it was too late into install process) - uninstalled, and had to remove some nasty adware garbage.

Tried to install my fonts, but in the process of copying from my OLD system - screwed up my OLD system fonts to garbage (but I was able to recover eventually).

Still to do:

Will probably have to buy a new copy of Corel Painter (big bucks) as my copy is too old to upgrade, and won't activate. Will need a tablet (will go with wacom Intuos pro probably).

Install & activate photoshop cs4, After effects cs4 (both were gifts, I am dreading the activation process), KPT, old old premiere 6.0(not holding my breath), dreamweaver (not sure), decide on Antivirus (other than Mcaffee)

A:M related: need to install TSM2, FakeAO, 3Dpainter. Not sure how those licenses will travel to new system (probably won't, and probably won't be able to get new licenses). Bought a new license for this machine. Couldn't use my gift certificate for some reason (glitches in checkout), but I am very happy to support A:M !

Need to make backup/restore discs (and decide what I will go with in long run for that). Looked into partitioning...not sure what I will do, might just get another harddrive and call it D!...have not transfered all my photos, images, resource libraries, datafiles for projects, etc yet, waiting to decide on configuration of disks.

Have to set up printer, scanner sharing.

You want a Cintiq. You know you do.

maybe...but not as much as they cost...

I've learned to use a tablet for 20? years now, the same one that I bought with a win 3.1? machine (and my first copy of painter), and am still using the same original nib.

They don't make-um like they useta! I even have an adaptor on it to go from serial to usb, on my winxp pro system - but the problem is - can't get drivers for it for win 7 - otherwise - I'd still be using it.

Will probably have to buy a new copy of Corel Painter (big bucks) as my copy is too old to upgrade, and won't activate. Will need a tablet (will go with wacom Intuos pro probably).

Why not buy Manga Studio pro from Smith Micro instead?

The Frenden brushes are fantastic and its very affordable.

Why not buy Manga Studio pro from Smith Micro instead?

The Frenden brushes are fantastic and its very affordable.

I have an extensive library of my own special pattern pens, image hoses, special gradient pens that I've developed over the years in painter. I don't think they would transfer over.

I love the watercolor features, oil, natural media, papers, so many other features as well. But I should take a peek at manga studio as well.

Happy happy happy and feeling grateful grateful grateful

Just got medium size Intuous Pro tablet - LOVE, love, love IT (kicked my 20 year old wacom to the curb!)...I might even not ever have to use my mouse again, as this has a very responsive, intuitive brain/hand feel (much more so than old one.). However, some things are just better with mouse. We'll see. It came with free copy autodesk sketch-something, Anime studio-something, and a 90 (not 30) day evaluation copy of PainterX3 (with a discount coupon for purchase, but is probably the standard discount they give everyone, haven't investigated yet). There were other packages, but I wasn't interested.

installed Fakeo, TSM2 in 16b/32. Not sure if they work in later versions A:M (or in 64bit versions).

Need a new code for 3Dpainter. Emailed Filip, but no response so far (I suspect I won't hear?) emailed Filip at wrong email address(no wonder he didn't reply!), but I see now that A:M painter aka 3dpainter is handled thru Hash store, will try there instead. SSAO works for me wonderful in ver18, but it's TSM2 that's a loss in later versions.

Made Factory restore DVD's, as well as backup/restore images for current state as of 4/24 on external USB drive.

Photoshop & AE CS4 went without a hitch. I think I will look into installing the free premier cs2, and forget my old premiere 6.

bought extra hard drive - so won't have to partition my C drive and all my A:M projects will be linked correctly, still to install, but Ken will do it for me - he did his already, no problem.

Still to do:

have another wack at installing pspad (use the zip file instead of installer)

transfer my huge collection of images/photos/textures. etc file libraries onto new D drive,

install dreamweaver (low priority, since I haven't updated website in a billion years)

make new catalogue with thumbs plus

back up with syncbak to external USB drive for new system.

Lucky that tommorrow's a HIKE for Health day. I've been getting this system together for a week? now. Time for a break.

Edited by NancyGormezano

32-bit v16 is the last version the TSM2 plugins will work in. You can still use it to rig characters for use in other versions.

Well..yes that works of course and that's what I've been doing. But I dread that day when new feature in newer version A:M (eg texturing, surface properties) gets wiped out by going back to older version (not always able to go backwards and retain new data).

I tend to do my weighting, texturing, surface defs, materials, etc on the pre-rigged character. So the choice is to do all that in 16b (and not have new features available) or to do that in later versions and have it wiped out when go backwards.

Gotta be a way to make a TSM2-like rigger some day. Ie push a button and Voila!

• Hash Fellow
32-bit v16 is the last version the TSM2 plugins will work in. You can still use it to rig characters for use in other versions.

Well..yes that works of course and that's what I've been doing. But I dread that day when new feature in newer version A:M (eg texturing, surface properties) gets wiped out by going back to older version (not always able to go backwards and retain new data).

I tend to do my weighting, texturing, surface defs, materials, etc on the pre-rigged character. So the choice is to do all that in 16b (and not have new features available) or to do that in later versions and have it wiped out when go backwards.

I don't think there's a case like that yet, but if there were and you still wanted to go back to v16 just for TSM2 I think you could use a text editor to swap v16 bones and constraints into the model file from the later version.