Hash, Inc. Forums

v18d installation issues

Rodney

• Admin

I just noticed this earlier yesterday but wasn't able to test until now.

Perhaps someone else can confirm if they are having similar issues in v18b?

When drawing (any interconnecting) splines in v18b and creating a new spline by attaching to a previous spline A:M goes into 'thinking mode' and a pause spinner initiates like it's searching memory in order to complete the task.

A:M is then locked up at this point until a forced close.

I checked in both 32bit and 64bit and am getting the same results.

I figured this might be something I changed recently but checking in v17g... no problem drawing with splines noted.

Very odd. Perhaps I toggled something on/off in v18b that is different.

I've reset, restarted the computer and ran A:M in Admin mode and am about at the stage of reinstalling but with a new release on the horizon I want to make sure this isn't something that might show up in the new release too.

This surely must be isolated to me because others would have reported this by now.

I'm pretty sure I've been modeling in v18b prior to this but perhaps I was using an earlier release and didn't realize it.

Can anyone confirm?

Ah, I'm glad you mention this Rodney. I've been seeing this too I think, not all the time, but often enough to start thinking something is up with v18b.

I have two possible theories at the moment;

1: It happens when not quite clicking exactly on a CP.

2: The direction the spline is running in is a factor.

Problem is so far though I can't make a repeatable set of actions that initiate the freeze every time!

Whilst on the subject odd behavior, v18b crashed on me 9 times yesterday! Each time during a screen render but not always. Four out of five would work fine.

Ah, I'm glad you mention this Rodney. I've been seeing this too I think, not all the time, but often enough to start thinking something is up with v18b.

I have two possible theories at the moment;

1: It happens when not quite clicking exactly on a CP.

2: The direction the spline is running in is a factor.

Problem is so far though I can't make a repeatable set of actions that initiate the freeze every time!

Whilst on the subject odd behavior, v18b crashed on me 9 times yesterday! Each time during a screen render but not always. Four out of five would work fine.

Have had that too and tried to get rid of this with Steffen...

For me it occured mainly wih Shift-Add not with Add...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Thanks for the confirmation guys, this is a serious enough problem that we want to get some attention on it so we make sure it is fixed in v18d (and any subsequent release).

As I'm hearing of talk of a pending v18d I will assume v18c had issues that prevented it from being officially released.

I did go on to reinstall and reactivate v18b 32bit with the same results.

Occasionally I have been able to attach a spline as normal but a few clicks down the line the problem arises again and A:M is locked up in its infinite loop of calculating something behind the scenes.

This isn't an intermittent problem on my end, it's highly repeatable, because I currently can't model anything.

But here's the real problem... if everyone is using releases other than v18b (the current official release) then we aren't seeing the same thing.

And of course, Steffen won't spend time fixing problems that don't exist (hopefully).

I realize some folks live on the cutting edge (Rodney waves at the highly valued Alpha/Beta testers!) and some like to be grounded in the tried, true and thoroughly tested (Hello highly productive artists and animators!) but someone needs to keep their finger on the pulse of the average user who only sees and experiences what is 'live' in the current official release (Hi um... me). In this I've obviously let my guard down if I failed to notice a problem that keeps us from being able to spline in the way that I currently seeing in v18b.

I still think this must be largely local to my computer so I'm trying to narrow down some of the variables.

(and if local then the fix could be shared with others at their local level as well)

It's almost like A:M is running into a 'read only' wall that doesn't let the spline that is being drawn save into memory.

As was mentioned before (by Mark I believe) this occurs less often when adding a new spline to an existing Control Point.

It occurs almost every time when adding a new spline between two existing CPs.

Fuchur, is it fixed in v18c?

I can't reproduce the problem but I'm not quite sure what it looks like and I'm not on v18b

It is or at least close to. I had a freeze again after installing v18c over v18b, but I think it is gone after I reinstalled A:M then.

You can try it: Create a lath-object (for instance a half of sphere) and stitch a spline to one of the point inbetween (not at the end of the spline and not the spline itself but a CP = create a dead end).

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin
Can you post a sample model where the next step causes this lock up for you, or post a model and describe the steps that do it?

I'm still not sure what the maneuver is to try it.

There is no sample model.

I just create a new (empty) model and try to add a few splines into it.

That is why I suspected it was only on my end. It prevents me from modeling anything.

I will test out some previously saved files (Thom would make a good test subject) and see if I can add new splines to those without any issues.

I first noted this after starting to test a slew of methodologies for rapidly splining a body and face. In this I occasionally locked some splines down.... hid some splines.... used lathing... used extrusion... standard modeling stuff/nothing too strange.

Then when I went in to simply draw a head/face from the front view I found I could no longer draw/spline anything without the problem appearing.

I do recall having to turn off the Snap to Surface icon... thinking it was strange that it was activated because I hadn't been using it.

I may go back and try to repeat what I was doing in those steps because perhaps I locked myself into some mode unintentionally and I just think I'm in a normal modeling window.

Recall that I did 'reset' A:M, and later reinstalled after seeing the same results in 32 and 64 bit and confirming the problem wasn't occurring in v17g so that is what is so odd in this case.

It's got to be something simple...something I changed specific to v18b on my end.

The only change to my computer system that I am aware of was reattaching an external (second) monitor although I need to scrub through my installed apps to make sure nothing was recently installed that might be grabbing hold and not releasing memory.

Update: It is occurring with previously saved models as well.

• Admin

Good news and bad news.

The v18d 64bit release fixes the problem. However...

Something is wrong with the 32bit installer (at least on my end).

I posted a screen shot of the error message in the release topic.

The short of it... I can't get the v18d 32bit to run. (But I can use 64bit! Thanks!)

Jason got me going again with the 32bit installer so I'm back in business.

So the fix for my problem is to update to v18d.

• Hash Fellow

Someone try this in v18d and tell me what happens....

-restart your computer

-start A:M v18d

-start a new Object window

-Lathe a vase in the normal fashion

-ctrl-a to select all

-ctrl-c to Copy

-ctrl-v to Paste

-drag the still-selected copy a bit to the left

-click in the background to deselect all

-Press the Bones Mode button

• Admin
Someone try this in v18d and tell me what happens....

-restart your computer

-start A:M v18d

-start a new Object window

-Lathe a vase in the normal fashion

-ctrl-a to select all

-ctrl-c to Copy

-ctrl-v to Paste

-drag the still-selected copy a bit to the left

-click in the background to deselect all

-Press the Bones Mode button

ok, now what?

What should we be seeing?

• Admin

I should have noted that I was using the 64bit install. Things are working fine there.

I still haven't been able to get the 32bit installer to work (I thought I had but I'd mistakenly reinstalled 32bit v18b)

The error message remainst the same for me on startup of 32bit v18b:

ErrorMessage.jpg

OK swapped to OpenGL

I don't get a freeze after clicking the Bones Mode button but the screen doesn't change automatically into the Bones Mode display, I have to click again on the background before it will change.

• Developer
I should have noted that I was using the 64bit install. Things are working fine there.

I still haven't been able to get the 32bit installer to work (I thought I had but I'd mistakenly reinstalled 32bit v18b)

The error message remainst the same for me on startup of 32bit v18b:

Please uncheck the SSE4 option at installing , this files are not correct build .

I'll rebuilding the 32bit version tonight .

• Hash Fellow

After updating my NVidia driver i get slightly better behavior. A:M survives the switch to Bones Mode but crashes when do (T)urn.

Now the computer doesn't need to be rebooted anymore, either, so that's progress!

I noticed that too but blamed another program for pooping my system out and making me ultimately reboot. I ended up using my cad software because of the large number of text models which are kind of a pain in AM and other programs. Probably would have posted something about the crash but didn't pay too much attention, was too busy to investigate.

That's the ticket!

32bit v18d is working without installing with the SSE4 option.

How to install without SSE4?? I maybe a bit daft, but I can't find any reference to SSE4, neither in installation nor in options??

• Hash Fellow
How to install without SSE4?? I maybe a bit daft, but I can't find any reference to SSE4, neither in installation nor in options??

If your CPU doesn't support SSE4 (mine doesn't) then the option will not appear.

But it would be a box to check during installation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

If anyone wants to try this... switch to regular OpenGL and load this PRJ

HandToHand01.prj

Select the Red Thom and then switch from Chor mode to Skeletal mode. Does that work?

On mine the view window won't change to Skeletal mode and I'll get a freeze if I do a few further things like a zoom or a Turn.

But that only happens in regular OpenGL.

If anyone wants to try this... switch to regular OpenGL and load this PRJ

HandToHand01.prj

Select the Red Thom and then switch from Chor mode to Skeletal mode. Does that work?

On mine the view window won't change to Skeletal mode and I'll get a freeze if I do a few further things like a zoom or a Turn.

But that only happens in regular OpenGL.

It works fine for me, Robert. I had realtime issues recently, but I installed a few updates to the OS (Windows 8.0) and everything seems to be running better.