Hash, Inc. Forums

A model I pieced together

I pieced this guy together using various body parts littered throughout the internet. I had to modify almost every patch cuz most of the parts were modeled using the 3ds file format.

ghnjk_0.jpg

frankenmodel.mdl

LOL - yes, I'm doing this a bit lately. I'm currently learning a sculpting software as I find the sculpting method of model creation really intuitive. Pulling and poking CP's to create a good model is an art form and I am finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to do it so I am trying to create elsewhere, import and respline.

Talking of resplining, is it my imagination or is there a way to import an OBJ as a prop and then spline over it with the splines/CP's locked to the surface of the prop?

Cheers

• Admin
Talking of resplining, is it my imagination or is there a way to import an OBJ as a prop and then spline over it with the splines/CP's locked to the surface of the prop?

Nope. It isn't your imagination. :)

While technically termed 'Snap to Surface' it started life circa v17 known as 'retopology'.

Fuchur has a tutorial on his site and here's a short article to get started: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44299

Impressive work Jirard!

Nope. It isn't your imagination. :)

While technically termed 'Snap to Surface' it started life circa v17 known as 'retopology'.

Fuchur has a tutorial on his site on here's a short article to get started: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44299

Impressive work Jirard!

Pardon me jumping in here, but this was something I had wanted to try but didn't have the chance before. I have followed up Rodney's link to the tech ref page and started the process. It is going to take a long time. Using a 3DS model, its been stuck at 2% for the past 30 mins, that has happened before, its a sunny spring day here, so the seaside is calling while that gets underway. However, I also started the process using an obj model. That imported really quickly but, when trying to turn to modelling mode ( f5) that option is greyed out and unavailable. Is there another way to go about it ?

regards

simon

PS

I tried to find the tutorial on Gerald's site but to no avail could you kindly post a link to it ?

I tried to find the tutorial on Gerald's site but to no avail could you kindly post a link to it ?

Retopology

Here's the link in his signature... http://www.patchwork3d.de/html/page.php?page_id=24

Robert

Thank you. I shall go there now. I have a car I want to convert for the bear to drive.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

If you have a solid object like a car that you want to use and no sub-part of it needs to be animated, then importing the object as a "prop" and using it that way is easier and faster than converting it to a model.

If you need some solid part, like a door, to also animate then one would break the car model into two parts, the car and the door and import them as separate props and use them that way in your chor. That would save remodeling... IF you have the program the original model was made in and can break the polygon model there.

If you have a solid object like a car that you want to use and no sub-part of it needs to be animated, then importing the object as a "prop" and using it that way is easier and faster than converting it to a model.

If you need some solid part, like a door, to also animate then one would break the car model into two parts, the car and the door and import them as separate props and use them that way in your chor. That would save remodeling... IF you have the program the original model was made in and can break the polygon model there.

Robert

Thank you for the help.

In truth I'm not sure how its going to be used as yet. I have the script story boarded ( but under change ) and the original idea was to do the cars stop frame with models for the chase sequence ,but using AM for the other parts. I'm trying to cover the possibilities at the moment, and learn some new methods !

regards

Simon