Hash, Inc. Forums

Theremin simulator

robcat2075

• Admin

Very cool.

I get very different results based on whether I'm using the touch screen or the mouse.

Not sure if that is a browser thing... or something else.

I see they plan to add a recording option as well as a standalone application.

Nice.

• Hash Fellow

"Forbidden Planet"?

Hitchcock's "Spellbound" had theremin in it too.

The composer also pulled a piano concerto out of the score. Skip ahead to about 5:10 to see professional Theremin playing in action...

JwMoCOFGIPE

When I said, "Reminds me (edit;"of") that sci-fi movie that had Robbie? the Robot and the Krell ?", I was referring more to the electronic audio affects used in the film, in the general sense, not that it was actually used in the film.

Yes, the Wiki does detail the actual methods used, quite nicely.

Right, no theremin, but for a movie out of the 50's, when I first saw it, I recall how greatly I was impressed by the electronic audio effects, and "the Barrons' electronic composition is credited with being the first completely electronic film score." (wiki)

At that time, I didn't even know what a theremin was.

Today, I might actually consider building one as a electronic fun project.

The circuit is a fairly simple one.

MIOTvaSPRrO6FNsv.jpg

I really thought it was a Theremin but I get the various 50's movies confused. :)

People also confuse the Theremin sound in the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" when it's actually a Trautonium. It's controlled by a finger moving a contact along a wire, kind of like an Ondes-Martenot.

I have a basic Moog Etherwave Theremin which works great, but it requires a lot of practice/technique to be musical. I setup a pitch-to-MIDI interface for it, which is great for controlling synths.

Does anyone know if the old A:M MIDI plugin by Stefan Gross still works? I would like to use my Theremin via MIDI to control my characters.