Hash, Inc. Forums

MS Windows XP support ends on April 8 2014

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

I suppose this is old news, but... Microsoft is ending security updates and bug fixes for Windows XP

Does A:M v18 still run on XP? I couldn't find the current system requirements on the Hash.com page.

support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014

• 1 month later...

Okey dokey folkey - The scaredy-cat Luddites have FINALLLY jumped a little further into the early part of the 21st century.

(caution: Bragging alert - since this is a close setup to what I believe Steffen is using)

We just ordered 2 new compootahs (both the same so we won't fight): i7-4770, 16GB, nvidia, GTX650 - 1 GB, 24" Ultrasharp monitor, win7 pro 64. All parts should be here late April (monitor is the hangup, computers arrive next week from DELL)

1) Any sage advice how to transition "easily" ? (from win xp pro 32, nvidia GTS 8600, 256MB...um...uh...Viewsonic 18" CRT)

I'm looking at Zinstall XP7, to transfer all programs! (yes programs! not just data), since I probably have legacy software that won't run, and I'm wanting to be up and running as fast as possible, least hassle, and take my time, re-installing everything (even that which will run in 64). ZINSTALL looks like you can then do it at your leisure reinstalling in the 64 environment? or am I mis-understanding? Anyone have any experience with ZINSTALL?

2) Any advice on replacing my 19 year old wacom tablet (bought at time with win95)...so I believe Wacom no longer makes/supports drivers (still have to check) - it's a UD-0608-R - about 8.5 x 6 inch working space, still using original pen, nib...pressure sensitivity maybe 256 levels?

3) Partitioning? Ghosting software? - Currently I have most of my A:M resource libraries on drive D, but projects are spread between C, D. I am most concerned with relinking of old A:M projects. On new system, I would like to keep a partition C, for programs/software only, and put all data on partition D...am I creating problems (for relinking A:M projects)? Is this necessary? IE, If I partition and keep things the same as old system (a random mishmash), can I selectively ghost certain things (like programs only) - or will it do the whole partition?

4) any other gotchas?

Okey dokey folkey - The scaredy-cat Luddites have FINALLLY jumped a little further into the early part of the 21st century.

(caution: Bragging alert - since this is a close setup to what I believe Steffen is using)

We just ordered 2 new compootahs (both the same so we won't fight): i4770, 16GB, nvidia, GTX650 - 1 GB, 24" Ultrasharp monitor, win7 pro 64. All parts should be here late April (monitor is the hangup, computers arrive next week from DELL)

1) Any sage advice how to transition "easily" ? (from win xp pro 32, nvidia GTS 8600, 256MB...um...uh...Viewsonic 18" CRT)

I'm looking at Zinstall XP7, to transfer all programs! (yes programs! not just data), since I probably have legacy software that won't run, and I'm wanting to be up and running as fast as possible, least hassle, and take my time, re-installing everything (even that which will run in 64). ZINSTALL looks like you can then do it at your leisure reinstalling in the 64 environment? or am I mis-understanding? Anyone have any experience with ZINSTALL?

2) Any advice on replacing my 19 year old wacom tablet (bought at time with win95)...so I believe Wacom no longer makes/supports drivers (still have to check) - it's a UD-0608-R - about 8.5 x 6 inch working space, still using original pen, nib...pressure sensitivity maybe 256 levels?

3) Partitioning? Ghosting software? - Currently I have most of my A:M resource libraries on drive D, but projects are spread between C, D. I am most concerned with relinking of old A:M projects. On new system, I would like to keep a partition C, for programs/software only, and put all data on partition D...am I creating problems (for relinking A:M projects)? Is this necessary? IE, If I partition and keep things the same as old system (a random mishmash), can I selectively ghost certain things (like programs only) - or will it do the whole partition?

4) any other gotchas?

You are missing AMD graphiccard to have an equal system like Steffen does since he recently got a R9 290x, if I am not wrong ;). (I am not sure how many computers he has at home... maybe more than one)

That is currently a little bit of a problem since Nvidia does some things a little different but should not be too troublesome. (many other people have Nvidia cards too and seem to run okay with it ;). )

1.) You can try it, but it is always wise to start new to get a good running system.

Anyway: If you need to do it, try it and if you run into trouble with some of the software, Windows 7 has a XP-compatibility mode which works astonishing well. (right-click on the exe-file you are starting and choose "Properties > Compatibility" and choose the compatibility mode you wish.)

I see a little bit of a problem, since the registery structure in Windows 7 is most certainly at least a little different than the one from XP, but who knows? Maybe they got it running very well...

2.) In general, Wacom still has the best graphic tablets out there... 256 level is that low today, that you will very likely not find any tablet that will do that... I would have a look for an Intuos Pen (formerly Bamboo) from Wacom. They are not too expensive but should do what you want from them. If they are too small for you, look out for a used Bamboo in the right size... they are still out there, work well (with 64bit) and are available in I think 3 different sizes including Din A4, which would be aproximatly what you are looking for. Or you get an Intuos Pro, but those are more expensive.

"3) Partitioning? Ghosting software? - Currently I have most of my A:M resource libraries on drive D, but projects are spread between C, D. I am most concerned with relinking of old A:M projects. On new system, I would like to keep a partition C, for programs/software only, and put all data on partition D...am I creating problems (for relinking A:M projects)? Is this necessary? IE, If I partition and keep things the same as old system (a random mishmash), can I selectively ghost certain things (like programs only) - or will it do the whole partition?"

I am not too familiar with that... In general I would assume it will use the whole partion, but do not really know...

I would too try to make it simple: If you are using the same drive letters it should not be a problem with loading A:M programs.

But it is not wise to put anything other than software on your System-partition (in general C:). If you did that till now, you should really think about getting rid of that.

Two things I could think of: Use something different than C: as a driveletter for your software (this is not recommended since there are some older software programs, which may not be familiar with that) or put everything onto D: and use something like "Replace Some Bytes (small but powerful freeware... I use it all the time) to replace the pathes in the A:M files to the right once. (test it with a test case before you go for the whole project folders)

Hope it helps a little. Windows 7 itself will be a little different but with very few exceptions, it will be much better than Windows XP and you will very likely do not want to miss it.

(I never tried such things like transfering software... I hope you are not running into new problems with that, noone else has experienced till now...)

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

I would recommend having your C Drive for your OS and programs and another partition for everything else.

I would suggest making a ghost image of your C Drive after you get all your software installed and the bloatware uninstalled. Then it's easy to recover from drive failures and the general creep of space lost to updates.

I think you'd enjoy a Cintiq to replace your tablet and to use as a second monitor (make sure your graphics card can handle two monitors)

Consider a used Cintiq in the 15" size or larger. Many can be found for less than $800 (way less)

I have an 18sx that I got used for $600, now they can be had for even less.

Thanks mucho Fuchur & Robert - I am digesting and investigating what both of you have suggested - Very helpful!

But I am a little concerned about nvidia now? Did Steffen have a problem with his system and nvidia gtx660? He used this system to run the teapot benchmark test shown in this link

to summarize he said:

1:35

Who is faster tongue.gif

i7-4770

32gb memory

gtx660

my system will be only 16gb, and comes with the gtx650

The only bloatware that I think (and hope) will be coming is 12 month subscription to McCrappy virus software - I prefer Norton, and will probably replace. When you get a DELL thru their business systems oriented pages - they don't load them up on dumb software luckily. Not so, when you get it via their "home/consumer" user pages. At least that's the theory, and seemed to be the case on my current last Dell system (2007?).

With Windows you can have Microsoft Security Essentials for free and it worked fine for me.

Or AntiVir (free edition) and many more free editions. BUT if you want it to be against more than just virus scanning, I would suggest a pro version of Bitdefender. Wins all the reviews:

Review 2014 - Best AntiVirus

Microsoft Security Essentials is not really good, if you believe these reviews... there are many free scanners which are considered to be better than that one. But I am not sure, if this is marketing or really that way... I can think of reasons in both directions here...

No, Nvidias are good. I prefer AMDs since they are better suited for gaming at a lower price tag, but they are consuming much more power.

I think Steffen got a R9 to see what OpenCL can do and it will just be faster than the gtx660. I think that is the reason for him.

We just had a bug, which seems to be a problem with a Nvidia card, but it should not be a bigger problem. Nvidias have a slower OpenCL-calculation but have CUDA for that.

IF A:M will get an optimisation, it is very likely that it will be for OpenCL (because this is available for any brand while CUDA is only available for Nvidias).

But again: Nvidia has good graphiccards and as long as you do not use something emulated or one from Intel itself, everything will be fine.

See you

*Fuchur*

• *A:M User*

Get rid of McAfee, it is garbage. You're better off using Avast or AVG or Nod32 (not sure if they still have a free version).

There is a video floating around on Youtube made by John McAfee about how to uninstall McAfee AV. I'd post a link but it may be considered offensive.

You hardware selection should be fine. If you can afford a cintiq, I'd get it. I know I would prefer one. Can't justify spending on even a used one, though.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - my new computer is here and I am testing it out. This is first web site I tried. Have not installed anything yet.

So far I am not able to see my profile on forum (content and posts) but maybe there is something going on with forum? maybe it's me and how I logged on?

Boy am I feeling awkward - with new os, keyboard, monitor, mouse, browser, etc after so many years of being comfortable with xp, crt, firefox, old keyboard, mouse...

I'm hoping it's you.

more than likely it is me - but just in case - I signed in as nancygormezano (should have been NancyGormezano?) - and I can not see my content (topics, posts)

when I go to my profile page. Could be Explorer?

I usually use Firefox (haven't downloaded yet)

Don't worry about it, unless it's something obvious...when I get to be more fluent on this computer, then I can help shake it down

EDIT: I can see my topics and posts when I click on the pull down menu under my posts in a thread, I just don't see them when I go to my profile page

myprofile.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I'm hoping it's you.

more than likely it is me - but just in case - I signed in as nancygormezano (should have been NancyGormezano?) - and I can not see my content (topics, posts)

when I go to my profile page. Could be Explorer?

I usually use Firefox (haven't downloaded yet)

Don't worry about it, unless it's something obvious...when I get to be more fluent on this computer, then I can help shake it down

EDIT: I can see my topics and posts when I click on the pull down menu under my posts in a thread, I just don't see them when I go to my profile page

;) get firefox and you antivirus software running. then go surfing on websites ;)

see you

*fuchur*

;) get firefox and you antivirus software running. then go surfing on websites ;)

Ok I've got firefox - and I now can see my content, posts from my profile page..what's the deal with that ? How come it didn't work with IE? how strange!

running McAfee antivirus temporarily as this is what system came with - will probably go with Norton or something else later - lots to do - feeling like a fish out of water on a bicycle

I won't be browsing to any websites I don't already know are safe (like here!)

• Admin
How come it didn't work with IE?

It's a very sad statement to say but IE remains largely unuseable.

A couple years ago you couldn't get me to NOT use IE.

Now I can't use it. It's too painful.

It was even more painful to see Microsoft systematically take apart what use to be the best browser in the world.

I've standardized on Chrome for the past few years but have Firefox readily available if I ever need to extend the browser via plugins.

I try to keep Chrome plugin free to maintain a fast and smooth online workflow.

http://www.davidrevoy.com/article30/ergono...raphics-tablets

helpful advice on cintiq and computer workspace setup! I opt for (M) and I tape a foam layer to the bottom of my keyboard to lay over the cintiq to protect tablet surface area.

I have been experimenting with Zorin OS that can emulate the windowXP and I have installed it on the second computer and laptop, but not on my window 8.1 system.

Found some really great free open source program that rivals most of the expensive one. I am also able to watch Netflix off the Linux(Zorin) OS.

Has anyone been able to get AM to run on linux with WINE? If anyone has this may be the possible solution?

How come it didn't work with IE?

It's a very sad statement to say but IE remains largely unuseable.

A couple years ago you couldn't get me to NOT use IE.

Now I can't use it. It's too painful.

It was even more painful to see Microsoft systematically take apart what use to be the best browser in the world.

I've standardized on Chrome for the past few years but have Firefox readily available if I ever need to extend the browser via plugins.

I try to keep Chrome plugin free to maintain a fast and smooth online workflow.

I use firefox for many reasons. it is a fast good browser. it is very well suited for developement due to its great dev plugins. it is developed by an non comercial organisation which does not dominate my digital life... google is too powerful in my taste.

see you

*fuchur*

Google chrome seemed to be ahead of the curve in HTML5

whenever firefox is stump, chrome will pull thru for me.

Chrome is a bit further in some aspects, but Firefox is in others. It is really hard to say which one is "better". Chrome is considered to be faster while Firefox has better plugins (which is one of the most important reasons why it is less fast).

In the end: Anything that is programmed to only work with one of these two browsers is poorly programmed, since these two are the leaders and are both working very similar since both are oriented towards the W3C standards and include very similar features.

Firefox seemed to have some memory issues in earlier versions but all in all it really does not make a big difference if you are not working with 100 tabs open.

And the simple fact that you are giving all your personal information out for free to Google should be an issue for you too. Consider what you are working with:

- Google Searchengine > Searchengine

- Google Docs, Google Drive, etc. > Popular datastorage with full office system

- Google Chrome > Internet Browser

- Google Chrome Books > Operationsystem for laptops / computers

- Google Android > Operationsystem for Smartphones and Wearables ("intelligent cloth")

- Google Maps > Google knows where you go.

- Google Plus > Googles Facebook clone which is becoming more important every day.

- Google YouTube > Video-Upload-Leader

- Google Mail > Very popular E-Mail-Provider

- Google Hangouts > Popular Skype replacement

- Google Playstore > Buy software, music, magazines, etc. (in the end every information source there is which is not covered by another service from Google)

- Google Chromecast > Bring Google Content to you TV set...

- Google Adwords > intelligent, databased advertising done with the data received from all the other services

- Google Analytics > visitortracking on websites all over the world, which communicates the data to Google Servers

- and many more ... (some they left behind like book mark services, etc. because they are no longer used by a large amount of people)

And that is not all that is going on. Google is heavily working on robotic driving (being a leader there), roboters, Smarthomes, and lets not forget Google Fiber, where google is the Internet Service Provider already... additional to that they offer own transport protocols like Google Spdy to transport website data from the server to your computer... these are just the things I can think of right now, but there are more...

Think about what that means... there is literally no part of the digital life not heavily influenced by Google. It is not a bad idea to split that power from time to time by using some other service or software especially if there is something similar from someone else.

You are concerned about what the NSA does digitally? Google does most of that too in a larger scale, is better in it, has more experience and is a commercial company earning heavily money from it / your data...

Your choice what you do, but it might be a good idea to at least try to not use everything from them.

See you

*Fuchur*

Think about what that means... there is literally no part of the digital life not heavily influenced by Google. It is not a bad idea to split that power from time to time by using some other service or software especially if there is something similar from someone else.

Startpage is a search engine that doesn't store your data.

Comodo Dragon is a more secure browser based on Chrome.

Comodo Ice Dragon is a more secure browser based on Mozilla.

StartMail is currently in beta testing.

Hope that helps.

• Hash Fellow

Just in time to hit after the end of Win XP support. Internet Explorer has a serious flaw not yet fixed and the fix is either not available to Win XP users or won't be automatically sent to them. I'm not sure which.

U.S. Government Suggests that You Switch from Internet Explorer

• 4 months later...