Hash, Inc. Forums

Copy and paste mirrored keyframes on bones in V17

strato

From one action to another action? Tell us more about what you are doing.

Hi, I am smart skinning the legs. I have one action with the left leg sort of circling around with about 20 keyframes.

Than I used to create a new action for the right leg and copy paste mirrored the keys from the left. Eventually I would

do that for the smart skin keys. I got that process here from the forum I believe, and it works fine in V12.

Now I did a session in V18, but something is not behaving the same. Just to specify. In action A I select my leg, with single bone

selection and rotation only and copy a keyframe, than in action B I select the other leg and press paste mirrored, but nothing happens.

I tried in the same action and also get a strange result. Selecting the left and copy, than paste mirrored on the right, the left actually

copy's the right rotation. I suspect that the process changed like the animation button or the constraint compensate. Just don't know.

Thanks

• Hash Fellow

Smartskinning isn't really done in an "Action", it's done in... Smartskin. Are you sure you really mean an Action?

in the tutorials link in my sig there are some tuts on mirroring Smartskin. Do a search on "mirror" to find them.

Smartskinning isn't really done in an "Action", it's done in... Smartskin. Are you sure you really mean an Action?

in the tutorials link in my sig there are some tuts on mirroring Smartskin. Do a search on "mirror" to find them.

Hi Robcat

Doing smart skin in an action designed for the motion planned for the bone will show all the interim movements and allows You to keep a record of all

the rotations. Copying the bone rotation from one action to another may actually have been Your suggestion in Your tutorial, but not sure right now.

The smart skinning transfer actually works, its the simple bone rotation that does not want to copy over. It does in v12 but not V17 or 18. Thanks

for responding at such a late hour.

• Hash Fellow
Doing smart skin in an action designed for the motion planned for the bone will show all the interim movements and allows You to keep a record of all

the rotations.

I'm still not quite sure what you are dong but I'll note that you can easily refind a bone position in a regular smartskin by using the keyframe forward and back keys while you are in mesh editing mode.

Hi Robcat

the rotations. Copying the bone rotation from one action to another may actually have been Your suggestion in Your tutorial, but not sure right now.

The smart skinning transfer actually works, its the simple bone rotation that does not want to copy over. It does in v12 but not V17 or 18. Thanks

Just to be sure: Do you have the filter for rotation, etc. active?

See you

*Fuchur*

Hi Robcat

See you

*Fuchur*

Yes I do. I have a single bone and rotation only filtered. The bones are completely mirrored and named Left Thigh and Right Thigh. I will try a new project in

V 17 to test the discrepancy, just thought there may be a known process that may have changed along the way since V12.

Hi Robcat

See you

*Fuchur*

Yes I do. I have a single bone and rotation only filtered. The bones are completely mirrored and named Left Thigh and Right Thigh. I will try a new project in

V 17 to test the discrepancy, just thought there may be a known process that may have changed along the way since V12.

I just did a mini test in V17 with a mirrored bone and I am not able to mirror a key from a left to a right bone the way I was used to. Something

changed. I can mirror a key on the same bone but not from a left arm to the right arm etc. Does it need a special naming convention or are there

new rules or methods to achieve the old functionality, or is it broken?

• Hash Fellow
And are you trying to paste this mirror on the same frame or a different frame?

Yes it is on the same frame.I am attaching a small project. Pasting from left to right works, but not mirrored.

The first thing I notice is that the bones aren't labeled "right" or "left". That will make it tough. :)

Try this...

clip3306RolfMirror.mov

And are you trying to paste this mirror on the same frame or a different frame?

Yes it is on the same frame.I am attaching a small project. Pasting from left to right works, but not mirrored.

The first thing I notice is that the bones aren't labeled "right" or "left". That will make it tough. :)

Try this...

clip3306RolfMirror.mov

Hi Robert, Thank You for the video, it is exactly what I was trying to do, and it works here too. I retested it in V12 and it is the exact opposite,

one would had to select the second bone to paste the mirrored key. Thanks again.