Hash, Inc. Forums

Dynamic Rig for Fish

fae_alba

Papa Bear is going fishing in a few days, but he needs some fish to catch before he can. I've modeled up the fish, and am at the point of coming up with a rig that will best give the impression of a swimming fish. I started out with a simple backbone rig, adding some dynamic constraints to help simulate the swimming. The movie below is the result. While i kind of like the result, the fish swims more like a dolphin than your run of the mill trout. But for the life of me, I can't seem to suss out the best approach. Ideas?

The rig:

pws.jpg

The result: (no keyframes applied, the result is simply the dynamic constraints at work)

swim_test.mov

Did you use a sideways motion on the fish's tail? It looks more like you used a vertical motion?

Also have you turned 'Gravity' OFF in the dynamic constraints. That might also be adding to the up and down motion.

Have a look at the Action contained in the attached Project.

FishTail.prj

Did you use a sideways motion on the fish's tail? It looks more like you used a vertical motion?

Also have you turned 'Gravity' OFF in the dynamic constraints. That might also be adding to the up and down motion.

Have a look at the Action contained in the attached Project.

Mark, the motion is strictly from the dynamic constraints...dropped the fish in the chor and viola, the tail wags. I'll have a look at the gravity setting, that sounds promising.

• Hash Fellow
Ok, so I tinkered with the force settings in the chor...switched y from 100% to 0 and x from 0 to 100% and get the following result. Getting there. Going to read up on Roberts' tuts now to see what sage advice he has on pendulums.

swimtest0.mov

That's look much more appropriate!