Hash, Inc. Forums

HitFilm Express

largento

Go check out this software.

It's for special effects, compositing and video editing and it's free for the PC and the Mac today only.

http://hitfilm.com/express/free

The pro version (which adds 3D and particle effects) is also deeply discounted.

Go get it quick!

They have a YouTube channel loaded with tutorials.

You Tube

Just for the fact that this a free video editor, it's worth checking out. I haven't used it myself, but there's urgency involved since the offer expires shortly and if you miss it, the program costs $149.

I wish I'd found about this earlier, but it just popped up on my Facebook feed today.

I remember watching some stuff when they were doing a Kickstarter to get the Mac version coded. It seemed pretty impressive, but the price was still too high for somebody unemployed like me.

Watching some of the videos, it looks like it could really be useful and for free, you can't beat it. Hoping as many people here who can get to take advantage of this.

• Admin

Installed and operational.

Um... there are a lots of things that us bottom feeders can use in this Express Edition of HitFilm.

At a quick glance, some things that folks often desire:

Easy conversion to/from WMV to other video formats (folks have problems with that conversion)

Tracking (Folks want to track things)

Compositing and Effects (Folks should be compositing things)

etc.

I'm liking what I see thus far.

What are you waiting for.... go get it! :)

Disclaimer: If the world goes sour because I am now Twittering on Twitter this is all Mark's fault.

Note: Upon initial launch I didn't get the menu that allowed activation but after a quick relaunch the menu was there.

• Admin

I'm really liking what I'm seeing here.

HitFilm Express is very accessible... somewhat unlike After Effects which has assumed more of a Blender-like interface these days.

There is no doubt that After Effects is more powerful and versatile but what is power if you cannot readily access it?

I hope the folks at HitFilm will be justifiably rewarded for the move to get the word out about their application.

I'd certainly never heard of it.

I have the full version of Hitfilm

it is an excellent program and works well with AM models

I do have after fx and its kinda the same

the extra bonus is the movie editor and being able to use sound

also Mocha for camera tracking, excellent particle render and much much much more

Here is a test render of a project I'm testing

The billboard is AM along with the roof the girl is a green screen capture background simple jpg

botom line I like it

oh and there are a bunch of tuts

j

composite.png

I have Hitfilm Ultimate and it's a great compositing program and basic video editor. It still has some growing room in the professional direction (ie, doesn't have higher end 3d layering capability like using different passes - depth map, etc) and the 3D environment takes a bit of wrapping your mind around (at the moment each 3D object imported is in its own space but has workaround). But, Hitfilm is aware of these things and I'm sure will be work out in a new release. But, positive side, it does offer point tracking, comes with a Mocha limited version (that you can upgrade to full at a great discount), can edit video in app, layering rendered stills, particles, effects, chromakey, grading, optical flow motion blur, etc.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

For those that missed this offer before...

The (free) express version of Hit FIlm 3.0 is available again and according to the press will be forever.

And the full version of 3.0 is available as well. (For those that have Hit Film Pro already you may be able to upgrade at a discount)

The folks that make Hitfilm are launching a new approach to distributing/selling their software that relies on the free version getting out to everyone.

From within the free Express version additional components can be purchased as needed.

Or... one could just purchase the full version with all those components.

Of course the one component that I would require is the 3D component and although some press indicates Hit Film as the only free compositor with 3D capability the truth appears to be that the Express release cannot do that on its own. Purchasing the 3D component for the asking price (which I forget at the moment).

None of this is meant to detract from the fact that Hit Film is very useful software and having the Express compositor is sure to be useful without the purchased components.

So, if you don't have a compositor try Hit Film Express (and while you are at it check out their promo film "Portal Combat" which is a short and fun little film. Many of the assets used in the film are available for downloading):

https://hitfilm.com/express

• 8 months later...

Hi, I am new to HitFilm 3 Express. I could open and use it, but was prompted to do an update. Now it won't open and a box says I must set my screen resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher. The screen is set to 1920 x 1080, but I still can't open HitFilm and that annoying box always comes up. Can anyone help me with this?

My genre is music videos and movie making.

• Admin

Hi Adamn,

You likely want to visit the Hitfilm forum to get instructions on resolving issues with their software.

The first thing I'd do is start Hitfilm with the Shift key pressed down as that may (or may not) start the program with default settings. Animation:Master works this way.

As for the update you might acknowledge the initial upgrade but then cancel after that to get back to your screen.

Other than that I'm not sure.

Another option would be to reinstall from scratch. That way you know you've got the basic settings set and can adjust from that.