Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

It Can't Be Done! Feb 2014 Nominations...

robcat2075

Exactly!

And there's also a Futuristic Bleak setting that looks like it's finally going to be what I use for the look of the Wobbling Dead. :-)

Incidentally, the 2 strip technicolor look is way fun. Makes things look like old George Pal movies. :-)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I edited my post here in order to honor it's original intentions by friends here that should be commended for their

long support for A:M.

Again... Without these guys and their work with A:M, my experience using the program would not have been the

same and I appreciate them very much.

• Hash Fellow
How about "force a character through an arbitrary opening", say, a keyhole? Perhaps Thom is on one side of a door and a black hole is on the other side, sucking him through the keyhole (in reality the black hole would rip apart the door and everything else, but this is a special case where its gravity only affects the particles in Thom's body).

Roger, is it enough for him to fit through the hole or does he have to be exactly keyshaped when he does it?

• Admin

I believe folks are missing the point here and we've moved into feature request territory.

I was under the impression Robert's request is more about "It can't be done in any software but can A:M do it?".

Am I mistaken there Robert?

The request for Octane-like rendering is an example of this.

If Octane can do then

Here in the community we would just have to understand the process to get the data from A:M to Octane to do it.

The request in that case would be perhaps better termed, "A fluid transfer method of assets from A:M to Octane".

Which is probably a bit outside the scope of doing 'it' in A:M.

The only thing that would have to be demonstrated to accomplish this original task would be demonstrate how to export assets out of A:M that can be rendered in Octane

This is something easily demonstrated.

IOW it can be done.

For those that are using other software:

Are you ready to demonstrate the process you are currently using to port your assets to the other software?

It's not going to be enough to look at something that looks great from a distance and dream of someday doing it.

We have an Open Forum. Please feel free to use it.

Surely someone has rendered an A:M asset in an external renderer before and can document their workflow.

• Hash Fellow
I was under the impression Robert's request is more about "It can't be done in any software but can A:M do it?".

Am I mistaken there Robert?

My original notion was projects like "I've seen famous, expensive 3D program X do _________, and I don't think it can be done in A:M" but I'm open to any interpretation that suggests an interesting project will inform future use of A:M.

Since I get to decide what I'm going to do, anyone can suggest anything!

• Hash Fellow
7.Fluids that actually work like fluids should with an actual pool of water to splash/ move objects around in. I challenge anybody in the community to come even a little close

to this with the current fluid system:

For anyone looking in (detbear already knows this stuff...)

That Realflow demo looks great and I think it pretty much represents state-of-the-art water simulation, which is why it it costs $250 to license Realflow.

That's not $250 for one year... that's $250 for one week! :o

The Realflow "Starter Pack" (I presume that is more of a regular purchase) is $7495... on sale now for $6360!

Because render nodes are a big part of their business I presume that render times are excruciating for highly detailed scenes like that killer whale thing. I can't find any claims of render time associated with their example videos. If anyone does, point me to it.

No, I don't think A:M's fluid simulator can be managed as realistically as that Realflow demo but if that were the scene we needed for a movie we were making I think something could be crafted using traditional techniques that most audience members would see as the same shot. Identical, no, but same shot, yeah.

Maybe that would make for a good "It can't be done" project.

• Admin
"I've seen famous, expensive 3D program X do _________, and I don't think it can be done in A:M"

This is a slippery slope but it's inevitable that comparisons will be made.

What we want to avoid is faulty comparisons.

The biggest danger with false comparisons (and I am not suggesting detbears was one of these) is that many folks see something pretty elsewhere in the world and immediately think, "Why can't A:M do that?" when the real question is "Why can't *I* do that?"

The primary answer to that dilemma is education.

What did the folks at Realflow do when they saw a need for realistic water simulation?

They pooled their resources and invested in it.

Hey guys,

You are probably correct. I appologize and digress. Those probably are more feature style elements. I

am sorry if I overstepped. My intention is certainly not to badger A:M. As I will readily admit it to be

a more than adequate tool.

Feel free to dismiss or take down my post. I think it noteworthy for all of us to realize the feature list is

pretty robust already in A:M.

While it is true that other spot-light packages may boast 'this or that'.... A:M is very easy to use and doesn't

break your account cost wise.

You guys are all awesome...Forgive me if I went off track there.

Cheers,

Detbear

• Admin
Forgive me if I went off track there.

Nothing to forgive. You should see my list of things I wish A:M could do. :rolleyes:

At least the things you identify would be worthy contenders.

Mine would be classified more as fits of laziness.

Here's an example: I wish A:M would 'render' to PDF.

Why? Because then I wouldn't have to exit A:M to convert images rendered in other formats to PDF. :P

along the water idea..one thing I've always wanted to see is "believable" (notice not realistic) rain drops in a puddle.

and too, ( along other conversations of "want it to look like Pixar"), the look and feel of Disney's original movies (specificaly Bambi, using the multiplane camera).

While I'm giving up on my original script idea (Rodney has already given a viable demonstration of it), I'll just throw these ideas over the wall as well.

• *A:M User*
How about "force a character through an arbitrary opening", say, a keyhole? Perhaps Thom is on one side of a door and a black hole is on the other side, sucking him through the keyhole (in reality the black hole would rip apart the door and everything else, but this is a special case where its gravity only affects the particles in Thom's body).

Roger, is it enough for him to fit through the hole or does he have to be exactly keyshaped when he does it?

He should probably conform to the shape, that seems like that would be harder to do.

• Hash Fellow
- A light paint-animation (glowing growing spiral-like lines which will fly around. (have a few ideas how to do it... but I am not sure if it really will look well)

- Do something like this:

(this one is not too hard, but it looks cool)

Gerald... these two are really both the same idea, right? Or do you make a distinction between them?

I remember that I made the Balrog, simply because when LOTR came out people on the forum gave it as an example of something that couldn't be done in A:M. So I like that recreating (or parodying) a shot from a BIG NAME animated movie would be worthy. We already have a "Buzz Lightyear" model--maybe recreating a shot with him, with full facial animation, lit like the latest film

• Hash Fellow
I remember that I made the Balrog, simply because when LOTR came out people on the forum gave it as an example of something that couldn't be done in A:M. So I like that recreating (or parodying) a shot from a BIG NAME animated movie would be worthy. We already have a "Buzz Lightyear" model--maybe recreating a shot with him, with full facial animation, lit like the latest film

I definitely want to give that idea a try. I'm waiting to see if anyone can conveniently make the other models for that shot.

I definitely want to give that idea a try. I'm waiting to see if anyone can conveniently make the other models for that shot.

Or find a scene that only has Buzz in it somewhere...it wouldn't have to be very long, just enough to prove the point.

• Admin

Greg Rostami use to show a sequence with the characters from Toy Story 2 that I would swear he was trying to pull a fast one on us.

He used the image as an example of what a certain technique by PIXAR could produce but I always suspected he had replicated the scene and rendered it in A:M as proof that he could achieve the effect with no one being the wiser. In other words, if folks accept the original scene as being done by PIXAR then he'd achieved his purpose.

Whether true or not, as a magician this is something I know Greg is more than capable of doing. And as a magician he'd be fully satisfied with the success of his slight of hand without ever cluing us in to what he's accomplished. ;)

- A light paint-animation (glowing growing spiral-like lines which will fly around. (have a few ideas how to do it... but I am not sure if it really will look well)

- Do something like this:

(this one is not too hard, but it looks cool)

Gerald... these two are really both the same idea, right? Or do you make a distinction between them?

I think the first one is much harder than the second one. The second one is more or less just a rotating emitter, but the second one is something that really is "livelike" flying around and staying much longer in shape...

See you

*Fuchur*