Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Real-Time Character Animation Paradigm

Manuel

Hello everybody...

Perhaps you have seen this video before on Youtube or perhaps not, anyway I want to share it here cause may be we can make use of this idea somehow...

If anyone has a comment or knowledge about this technique...

Perhaps it could be implemented in A:M with some Mouse Motion Capture and something else...

Note: It's interesting what is written in the description of the video on Youtube...

Good day, bye

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Manuel,

Most Definitely!

If the rig is set up right we can move controllers around in real time to layer in any animated movement.

The one thing that isn't evident on the video is some sort of menu that the animator is looking at to recall what motions and screen locations control what aspect of animation.

Most of these type of controllers in A:M use Nulls as the means to move around an area of the screen to manipulate the character.

Also, to facilitate realtime playback most of the menus are created using splines rather than images.

For the film 'Tin Woodman of Oz' and 'Scarecrow of Oz' the characters were rigged with a facial rig that allowed such movement but mouse motion wasn't used as far as I know.

The animators just worked the controls over time.

If you haven't picked it up much of these techniques are based on Jason Osipa's facial animation techniques which he developed while using A:M. :)

He later went on to adapt those techniques to other software.

IMO Jason's book "Stop Staring: The Art of Facial Animation" is a must have for character animators.

Here's a review of (I believe) the second edition: http://www.parkablogs.com/content/book-rev...tion-done-right

There are several Face Rigs featured in the Rigging and Constraints forum.

Well worth investigating!

...or you just go with poses... hit play in A:M and move the poses as you wish. A:M will record your movement and the animation will work as well...

Anyway, I am not totally sure that the result in that way will be much better than the one you get when animating without playing back at the same time... it is just harder to get everything right in the right time like that. You very likely need to polish the animation afterwards again and it can be (depending on your workstyle) that animating with classical keyframing is just faster in the end.

But you have to try it out. For you it may be the other way round, who knows...

See you

*Fuchur*

Thank you all for the reply...

Rodney, I was reading the review of "Stop Staring: The Art of Facial Animation" of Jason Osipa and it seems very good, I'll try to buy it...

Fuchur, for a lone animator the quest for a faster way (with acceptable quality), never ends... :lol:

• Admin
Rodney, I was reading the review of "Stop Staring: The Art of Facial Animation" of Jason Osipa and it seems very good, I'll try to buy it...

It's been quite awhile since I had the book out of the box but my memory says that the first edition has a little more A:M-centric examples (in the book and on the accompanying CD).

Both editions cover the same basic information and you won't go wrong with either.