Hash, Inc. Forums

Questions about the Mac version

Cybrknight

I wonder how many people use the Mac version of A:M? A:M is turning out to be the best animation package I have ever used, but the interface is in desperate need of an update.

First, I can't get the Mac version to work in a window; it just goes full-screen and hides the dock. This is a no-no in Mac Interface design. Second, I would prefer a darker GUI, and more eye pleasing icons. Third there is a big bug in the Mac Version.

After the first time you use the Open/Save dialog, it becomes unusable. It just won't let you choose another folder or do anything else with the mouse.

Clearly this is a great program, and probably very few people use the Mac version, so no big deal. Also, this is a new version and I suspect the team is working on a fix for the open/save dialog. I will probably just switch my version over to the PC version later in the year.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Cybrknight

I wonder how many people use the Mac version of A:M? A:M is turning out to be the best animation package I have ever used, but the interface is in desperate need of an update.

First, I can't get the Mac version to work in a window; it just goes full-screen and hides the dock. This is a no-no in Mac Interface design. Second, I would prefer a darker GUI, and more eye pleasing icons. Third there is a big bug in the Mac Version.

After the first time you use the Open/Save dialog, it becomes unusable. It just won't let you choose another folder or do anything else with the mouse.

Clearly this is a great program, and probably very few people use the Mac version, so no big deal. Also, this is a new version and I suspect the team is working on a fix for the open/save dialog. I will probably just switch my version over to the PC version later in the year.

Cheers,

Steve

That is a known bug with a workaround... something like CMD + Q or CMD + C if I am not wrong.

Anyway: Since Apple has changed much with the Maverik-Update, it is a little bit unknown what will happen in the future. If they leave many libraries behind (like they did with Maverick) it may become very hard to get A:M to work on the Mac any longer on OS 11.0 and above.

The Windows-version is however working much better.

See you

*Fuchur*

Hi Cybrknight and a Happy New Year!

Ah, the interface I know what you mean, perhaps not the sexyist looking one out there for CG but it dose have, for me at any rate one big plus, and thats that it still looks the same!

One of my personal dislikes of some other software is the frequent need to relearn the interface after an update. One of A:M's strengths is that if you go away from it for a long time and the come back, the interface is just the same and you can get back up to speed again real quick.

As for the Dock, well you do get used to it. And it still there, just drop your cursor to the edge of the screen where it was and it pops right back up.

As for the big bug, there is a standard workaround for it which soon becomes second nature when events present themselves.

You may not have looked at the 'Read Me' when installing A:M, most people don't ;o)

So just in case heres what it has to say. (the bug work-around is in the second half)

For me option 1 of the work-arounds works 9 times out of 10 and I only need to resort to number 2 very infrequenttly.

"This is an Animation:Master (Intel Binary) installer for MacOS X. This version will ONLY run in MacOS 10.6 or greater.

You must have admin privileges to successfully install A:M.

If You are running A:M on MacOS10.7 (Lion), please remove the plugin Simbiont2.atx from

/Applications/Animation Master v17.0/Textures/ , this plugin is not compatible with OSX 10.7

and You will get otherwise at each A:M start a error message .

No icon will be created in the dock, you will need to launch A:M from the desktop, or from the folder you installed it to.

(the default location is Applications/Animation Master v17.0)

once it's running, you can control click on the master icon in the dock, and choose "keep in dock".

If you don't like the alias on the desktop, feel free to delete it.

Some versions of OSX may make Animation:Master appear to freeze while you are

browsing for files to import or save. We are working to find the cause of

this, in the meantime there is an easy work-around:

1)If it's an "open" or "save as..." window (i.e. one window),

Use the dock or command-tab to select another app and then go back to A:M.,

or hide A:M and go to another app and then back.

2)If it's a case where you have two windows (like "save as" from the render panel)

go to the application menu and select "Hide Animation Master" from there.

Then go back to A:M."

Cheers,

Steve

That is a known bug with a workaround... something like CMD + Q or CMD + C if I am not wrong.

Anyway: Since Apple has changed much with the Maverik-Update, it is a little bit unknown what will happen in the future. If they leave many libraries behind (like they did with Maverick) it may become very hard to get A:M to work on the Mac any longer on OS 11.0 and above.

See you

*Fuchur*

I just got a 1/yr subscription to A:M for Mac. I hope I will be allow to run it on windows instead.

Cheers,

Steve

See you

*Fuchur*

I just got a 1/yr subscription to A:M for Mac. I hope I will be allow to run it on windows instead.

Yes you will be. Ask Jason (support[-a-t-]hash[-d-o-t-]com) if A:M will stop working (it is not said till now that it will happen), but again: Maverick has just recently been released, so you may have a year of the mac version too.

See you

*Fuchur*

Cheers,

Steve

See you

*Fuchur*

Yes you will be. Ask Jason (support[-a-t-]hash[-d-o-t-]com) if A:M will stop working (it is not said till now that it will happen), but again: Maverick has just recently been released, so you may have a year of the mac version too.

See you

*Fuchur*

So I can just ask to change to over to PC version now? Is there a way to deactivate it from my Mac?

Cheers,

Steve

See you

*Fuchur*

See you

*Fuchur*

So I can just ask to change to over to PC version now? Is there a way to deactivate it from my Mac?

If you want to do it now, ask Jason. He will guide you through.

See you

*Fuchur*

here´s a thread on the mac-issue, this will clear things up for you i guess...

mac / mavericks issue

since v18 the open/save dialogue can be cancelled with cmd-Q, before you had to hide a:m and then go back to it, to make the dialogue box active again.

sometimes you have to try to get the dialogue box working several times, before it actually does. this is quite annoying, but apparently there is no easy fix for that.

i think the reason might be stated in the thread above.

a:m always worked full screen and hid the dock, that´s just something you´ll have to get used to. but the dock is still available, just move your mouse to the very bottom (or right, or left, depending on where your dock is), and it´ll show up ;)

mac / mavericks issue

since v18 the open/save dialogue can be cancelled with cmd-Q, before you had to hide a:m and then go back to it, to make the dialogue box active again.

sometimes you have to try to get the dialogue box working several times, before it actually does. this is quite annoying, but apparently there is no easy fix for that.

a:m always worked full screen and hid the dock, that´s just something you´ll have to get used to. but the dock is still available, just move your mouse to the very bottom (or right, or left, depending on where your dock is), and it´ll show up ;)

I just saw some of your videos... I love your work.

Ah, the interface I know what you mean, perhaps not the sexyist looking one out there for CG but it dose have, for me at any rate one big plus, and thats that it still looks the same!

One of my personal dislikes of some other software is the frequent need to relearn the interface after an update. One of A:M's strengths is that if you go away from it for a long time and the come back, the interface is just the same and you can get back up to speed again real quick.

As for the Dock, well you do get used to it. And it still there, just drop your cursor to the edge of the screen where it was and it pops right back up.

As for the big bug, there is a standard workaround for it which soon becomes second nature when events present themselves.

You may not have looked at the 'Read Me' when installing A:M, most people don't ;o)

So just in case heres what it has to say. (the bug work-around is in the second half)

For me option 1 of the work-arounds works 9 times out of 10 and I only need to resort to number 2 very infrequenttly.

"This is an Animation:Master (Intel Binary) installer for MacOS X. This version will ONLY run in MacOS 10.6 or greater.

If You are running A:M on MacOS10.7 (Lion), please remove the plugin Simbiont2.atx from

/Applications/Animation Master v17.0/Textures/ , this plugin is not compatible with OSX 10.7

No icon will be created in the dock, you will need to launch A:M from the desktop, or from the folder you installed it to.

once it's running, you can control click on the master icon in the dock, and choose "keep in dock".

2)If it's a case where you have two windows (like "save as" from the render panel)

Thanks, but I think I am going Windows with Hash.

• 2 weeks later...

mac / mavericks issue

I just saw some of your videos... I love your work.

Thanks, but I think I am going Windows with Hash.

Sorry if I seem dense, but will A:M v18 work with OS 10.9.1 Maverick?

• Hash Fellow
Sorry if I seem dense, but will A:M v18 work with OS 10.9.1 Maverick?

Hi, Gilbert!

I had to re-scan the whole fracas again, myself.

Yes, a fix for the Mavericks problem was found and the current installers will install an A:M that runs on Mavericks.

Note that the few odd interface issues mentioned above still apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Steve

See you

*Fuchur*

Fuchur, I'm trying to import an A:M model into Unity. All I can import is the mesh. I saw your link and was very excited until I clicked on it and it seems to be a broken link. Would you please attach the FBX converter?

Cheers,

Steve

See you

*Fuchur*

Fuchur, I'm trying to import an A:M model into Unity. All I can import is the mesh. I saw your link and was very excited until I clicked on it and it seems to be a broken link. Would you please attach the FBX converter?

there is no fbx exporter. please go to patchwork3d.de and than click on tutorial > video tutorials to open my website.

edit: just saw that my website has a problem. i will fix it when i am back home.

see u

*fuchur*

Cheers,

Steve

See you

*Fuchur*

there is no fbx exporter. please go to patchwork3d.de and than click on tutorial > video tutorials to open my website.

edit: just saw that my website has a problem. i will fix it when i am back home.

see u

*fuchur*

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Hi Jeetman,

it should work again :).

See you

*Fuchur*

Fuchur,

I went to the site and it up and running!! I started to watch the video turial but realized I better get some sleep for work in the morning but I'll be watching it tomorrow. Thanks again.

George