Hash, Inc. Forums

Intriguing rigging challenges

NancyGormezano

I've only seen TV footage rather than the play itself but, have you seen the stage play of "War Horse" ?

http://www.warhorseonstage.com/videos

I have been aware of this play, but haven't seen it. Yes, wonderful artistry & puppetry!

I was fascinated by these strandbeest lifeforms because of their different mechanism of joint movement and that they were powered by the wind.

• Admin

Now that is entirely too cool.

You always amaze Mark.

Are you planning to drive it via a force?

I could see how a force might push it initially but not sure how it'd reset unless the direction of the force's direction and/or intesity was animated as well.

Too bad we didn't have that idea for TWO. That contraption would have been great for Ku Klip's workshop. :P

FAH-BUH-LUSCIOUS, Mark! Wonderful!

I was so hoping it would peak your interest (and David's and anyone else) as a fun challenge.

I started (failed) and was still fumbling when I gave up. I approached it sooooo wrongly.

As I look at your rigging solution, one can see (perhaps?) how that sort of rigging might be used to actually simulate muscle deformations of a skinned creature?

But I think your solution is most wonderful for it's simplicity and delightful using it for a mechanical looking creature.

I'm still smiling when I watch your 2 movies.

I think it needs to be 6 feet for balance.

The real life kinetic creatures built using the same structure as the strandbeest do not require 6 legs to balance. View video here. They only have 4 legs.

Perhaps if the body (of the A:M model) was swayed side to side (as in the video with the card board models) it might look more balanced as it walks.

I've made more progress. For the most part, I have it setup to autowalk when the model bone is translated in the Z axis in any direction or constrained to a path. There are a couple glitches in the expressions, but it's minor.

Now that I got the expressions working, for the most part, I'll be able to update the suspension rig to work the same way (have a crazy workaround for it to work right now). I wasn't able to do this before, til Steffen added the boolean operator functions.

I'm not sure what was powering the real contraptions. Was it the wind somehow? Was gravity pulling them downhill?

here is one mechanism (see uploaded image): looks like the cloth catches the wind, which then drives the crank shaft, which drives the legs

image taken from here

I thought? I also saw another mechanism such that the wind gets channeled/funnelled into an upside down plastic pop-bottle, and that it then gets amplified when it re-emerges from narrower opening, to drive the cloth? or something like that - but I am unable to find that example.

Start watching at around 44 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZ1ZAghqJY

Yes, serg, thanks for the link. Another clever mechanism for the legs - that example in the youtube looks simpler (for me widdle brain) to perhaps rig in A:M. As for simulating the dynamics automatically in A:M? uh....

clothcatcheswind.jpg

clothcatcheswind2.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Well, lt's not wind power.

oh that is FUN! fun fun funnnneee!

As for "wind" - perhaps if he was made out of cloth, he might flatten to look like a human shaped sail?...and then if a force were applied, from behind? er...no..then that would be his exhaust system (oh, come'on...someone had to say it)...with little puffs of smoke... :rolleyes: