Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bone growth

Animating a 100metre sprint in V17g

Made the mistake of not moving the model bone with each step ( decided not to make the same mistake with the runner in the next lane ).

However, as I procede, the model bone seems to keep growing in the Y axis, or rather the rotate handle on it does. Is this normal ? A consequence appears to be that, when trying to select a rig bone, it has become easier to select the model bone by mistake and more difficult to select the rig bone without having to use the PWS.

This is the bone on frame 00:00:00

Screen_shot_2013_12_16_at_15.51.27.png

And this the same scene 5 seconds or so later, Notice the growth ?

Screen_shot_2013_12_16_at_15.51.47.png

The track is to scale, so the handle seems to have grown to about 13metres from 40cm at the start ?

Simon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Made the mistake of not moving the model bone with each step ( decided not to make the same mistake with the runner in the next lane ).

This is not a mistake. It is correct practice to plant the model bone once and leave it in place as the character is animated to walk or run or whatever from its initial location.

However, as I procede, the model bone seems to keep growing in the Y axis, or rather the rotate handle on it does.

That is odd. It still happens in v18. I suggest you create simple case that demonstrates it and send that with an AMReport

This is not a mistake. It is correct practice to plant the model bone once and leave it in place as the character is animated to walk or run or whatever from its initial location.

However, as I procede, the model bone seems to keep growing in the Y axis, or rather the rotate handle on it does.

That is odd. It still happens in v18. I suggest you create simple case that demonstrates it and send that with an AMReport

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

I'm happy to send the file, it is very simple, how do I go about sending an AM report ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

You can file an AMReport at Hash.com/reports

If you haven't done it before you'll need to get a user name and password set up there.

If you are including an example PRJ make sure it has all the models embedded.

It appears your model bone got corrupted in the chor. If I change the length of the model bone under the model itself (bone position property), it resets the model bone in the chor. This may be a mac issue, I haven't seen this on my pc.

Mark

Thank you for your reply and your help. I shall try that in a short while.

I wondered if it was related to the problem you sometimes get when multiple objects are selected in the chor and the rotate handles all grow in a similar way? Its been discussed previously and occurred on PC's and Mac's.

If, for example, you have multiple objects and, for ease of working, you group select them and make them inactive under properties. The rotate handles suddenly grow in length. I haven't tried it under V17 as I learnt not to try under V15. It used to suddenly enter channels under the proprties section ?

regards

simon

Edit

Mark

I tried to find the bone length in the chor properties but couldn't see it. Pardon my ignorance but, where to look ?

I can set it within the object properties as a model but couldn't see that option in thre chor ?

regards

simon

Hi Simon, the other Mark here!

I must say this is the first time I've seen this happen, quite odd.

Any way, I think this is where Mark meant for you to change/re-enter the bone size.

It works here.

Mark and Mark

Thank you both for your replies and help.

That seems to have worked.

One curious aspect of it was.

initially I opened the bones folder and clicked on the root bone and looked at its properties. The length had grown to 186. reset that to 15cm, but the problem remained.

I then followed Mark W's suggestion and opened the section under the model name. The bone length was 15.7 cm. Reset that to 15cm and it seems to have worked. The roll handle no longer grows as the figure moves away from the root bone.

As Robert says, it a curious problem, I wonder what could be causing it, Robert uses PC's I think so its not a Mac problem ?

regards

simon

Ps

Just done a further three seconds worth with it and the problem has not recurred ( famous last words )...