Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Has there ever been thought of porting Animation Master on Linux?

Vertexspline

Just a question. Its another segment of the pc landscape that might be something to try. I know development resouces for AM are very very limited but just wondered.

I run a linux box at home besides my windows ones and just thought it might be a way for more sales. I have no idea of the effort required but figure if Valve with its STEAM portal is pushing into Linux it might be a thought.

Speaking of Steam ---- I still think AM on Steam would be a really good thing if you could figure out a yearly sub mechanism out with them.

rich

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question. Its another segment of the pc landscape that might be something to try. I know development resouces for AM are very very limited but just wondered.

I run a linux box at home besides my windows ones and just thought it might be a way for more sales. I have no idea of the effort required but figure if Valve with its STEAM portal is pushing into Linux it might be a thought.

Speaking of Steam ---- I still think AM on Steam would be a really good thing if you could figure out a yearly sub mechanism out with them.

rich

I think under Wine (acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") Animation Master is usable but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.winehq.org/

If A:M was to be ported I personally would much rather see it in some form under Android. Before I get the touch screen would be atrocious replies, the solution to that is a virtual touchpad to move a cursor (as well as virtual mouse buttons/hot keys). (Yes not idea either but much better than straight up touch. If you have a decent spec'd Android tablet just try running windows under Dosbox and you will see a virtual touchpad is a potentially more precise and better interface then forcing everything to touch.) There are no 3D animating tools to my knowledge for the platform. Not that I would ever expect a complete port of the current or recent A:M versions but even the modeling tools, bones and timeline for choreography would make me happy and be leaps and bounds past anything I've seen as a 3D tool for the platform.

Though in truth I bet the chance of an Android version of A:M is 0% seeing how if I recall correctly only one person is left programming it.

• Hash Fellow

A linux port (and many others) have been suggested in the past.

I think it's safe to say the resources to make such a platform leap are not available. It's not a practical endeavor due to the amount re-writing and debugging that would be needed.

• Hash Fellow

I don't know about Android, but the linux market probably isn't much of a market in terms of willingness to part with cash to buy programs like A:M. I think most of them are drawn to linux because it is free and want their programs to be free also.

That's just my sense of it, I haven't done market research on it.

Well yes the source folks do like free things but a number of professional applications have ports to LINUX ie MODO, 3d coat, maxwell render, houdini , Octane render, Thea Render etc mainly due to speed and stability benefits over the windows and mac environments.

rich