Here I found something from Gerry and 2013:

http://www.visualexllc.com/vlexholiday2013...yAnimation.html

and more:

http://www.visualexllc.com/vlexholiday2006...sAnimation.html

What will happen next year?

All contributions welcomed!

Edited by esolc

• Hash Fellow
Wush I had more time to put into this, needs audio but I am out the door on a holiday road trip... Happy New Year, Hash Community! LOVE YA! -MC

Hey, that's spiffy , Matt!

Looks like those two got married!

• Hash Fellow

10 years ago i got the character animation bug. I put this together for the bright New Year of 2005...

Those Holiday Memories

I'll note that subsequent scientific inquiry has shown that holiday turkeys do not have an especially large amount of tryptophan. Please disregard that portion of the video.

Bravo, Robert! :) Looks like we all share our love for Christmas and 2014. I would like to see more contributions, if you have time to make. :) It's like a celebration for the next year! :yay:

2014 will be a new and better year after all. :lol:

Edited by JackDrama

WOW! Great, Simon. :yay: Did you combined 2D with 3D by using a video as a decal and using Cookie-cut to avoid the rest of it (all in a single plane)? :) If this isn't the way you did that, then I'm curious to learn the way you did that. :huh: PEASE. :lol:

Edited by JackDrama

WOW! Great, Simon. :yay: Did you combined 2D with 3D by using a video as a decal and using Cookie-cut to avoid the rest of it (all in a single plane)? :) If this isn't the way you did that, then I'm curious to learn the way you did that. :huh: PEASE. :lol:

Jack

It was close to what you suggest.

I was trying to learn how to use Flash and thought it might be a good way to learn by making the seasonal card. It would probably work better in Photoshop or another paint package but, the basic process was.

Using photo reference to roto the drawn lines.

Take away the reference, leaving the lines on an alpha channel. Save it as a sequence.

Import the sequence into AM.

Apply it as a cookie cutter decal to a single plane, and thats it.

Initially I tried to use a mov file but couldn't get it to work beyond the first two frames. So went back and re exported it as a PNG sequence ( after a few errors trying to use TGA ). Did a brief test with that last night, which was posted in the other thread in "Animation Master", then went to bed thinking about it. Up this morning and thought of a slight variation to use. In the process of doing that thought it might work to cut the message out of the blank plane, so the light would go through, and the words would read in the shadow on the ground plane.

The reworked version today took about 4 hours, because of the number of errors made in the process, but learnt a lot doing it and it generated a lot of ideas for how it could be developed. With a bit of planning and preparation you could make a lot of 'play' between positive and negative spaces and how they read against the background. Haven't tried yet but it may also be possible to work with transparency and reflective maps to open it up a bit more ?

Hope that helps.

regards

simon

Thank you very much, for teaching me how you did that. :yay: Sounds pretty much like that I suggested (decals in a single plane). Looks like I stated learning more about that kind of combination of 2D with 3D. :) Thanks! :lol:

But why coun't you export the 2D anmiation as an ''.avi'' format? :huh: I think it would be much faster than crating series of images. :rolleyes:

Edited by JackDrama

Thank you very much, for teaching me how you did that. :yay: Sounds pretty much like that I suggested (decals in a single plane). Looks like I stated learning more about that kind of combination of 2D with 3D. :) Thanks! :lol:

But why coun't you export the 2D anmiation as an ''.avi'' format? :huh: I think it would be much faster than crating series of images. :rolleyes:

It is ALWAYS a good idea to go with image sequences when rendering something. It helps if you want to change your animation afterwards (you can very likely use parts of the imagesequences and overwrite the others) and if for what reason ever something goes wrong while rendering (application-crash, hardware-fail, power loss, etc.) you can still use what you have already rendered and start from where you left. The avi-file would be written at the very end and that means: EVERYTHING before that has be a success. Additional to that you can use netrenderer to render with more than one computer/core which is not possible with an single AVI-file and so on. It is a very common practice to render to image sequences in the whole 3d-animation world.

My recommendation: Always render to image sequences (TGA or EXR depending on what you need) and use A:M or if you do post production with AfterEffects (or some equal software) the postproduction software to render the images into a video-file.

It will not take any longer (actually a little, but it really is not worth mentioning compared to having to rerender something in 3d) and is just more save and very good to be used in post software if you need to.

See you

*Fuchur*

[...

My recommendation: Always render to image sequences (TGA or EXR depending on what you need) and use A:M or if you do post production with AfterEffects (or some equal software) the postproduction software to render the images into a video-file.

It will not take any longer (actually a little, but it really is not worth mentioning compared to having to rerender something in 3d) and is just more save and very good to be used in post software if you need to.

The only thing I would add to Gerald's explanation is that, once you have rendered the single frames, you can always render them as a Mov file from within AM by right clicking on them in the images folder and selecting "Save animation as ".

I usually do tests as mov files, just for convenience, but always render to single frames for the final piece because I've been caught out too many times in the past trying to render animated files, mov and avi, only to have some external factor intervene and lose hours of rendering.

I haven't tried it yet but, there is a post production facility available within AM, that allows you to completely revamp the rendered files using EXR format by changing the lighting, shadows and so on. I found it slightly boggling when I watched the tutorial last year...

regards

simon

ANSWER IN FUCHUR'S COMMENT: Thanks, Fuchur! :) But the funny thing is that I feel like I'm the one who has a computer in that A:M's rendering system doesn't crash. :lol: LOL. This sounds like a great idea for ...(any kinds of filmmaking, like direct-to-film, cinema, ect.), and also it sounds very useful (image sequences for a film at development)! :o I thought you meant that Simon had exported the flash animation in seies of images. :huh: And I know that ''After Effects'' does lots of cool special effects. :)

ANSWER AT SIMON'S COMMENT: Oh, my. Now I understand the trouble you have. :o I thought you tried to export the flash format by it's self a ''.mov'' format. :blink: And I knew it was imposible to apply a ''.mov'' format as a decal. :huh: (Sorry. ''.avi'' format wasn't what I meant. It was just my mistake). :( Thanks for explaining me what you exactly mean! :yay:

Edited by JackDrama

ANSWER IN FUCHUR'S COMMENT: Thanks, Fuchur! :) But the funny thing is that I feel like I'm the one who has a computer in that A:M's rendering system doesn't crash. :lol: LOL. This sounds like a great idea for ...(any kinds of filmmaking, like direct-to-film, cinema, ect.), and also it sounds very useful (image secuances for a film at development)! :o I thought you meant that Simon had exported the flash animation in seies of images. :huh: And I know that ''After Effects'' does lots of cool special effects. :)

No you are really not the only one who has a stable A:M ;).

A:M is really very stable these days... I have worked with it since 2000 and there had been times it was quite a bit buggier (big cudos to Steffen :) ).

Anyway: I have learned the hard way, that it is a good idea to be careful with any software. Sooner or later A:M will crash, like XSI did for me, like 3ds did for me, like InDesign, Photoshop, Word, Samplitude, AfterEffects or any other software did before... and sometimes it is really not the software that does it but maybe the OS or your computer or your power supply...

My experience is, that you will never regrad the backup you made or the sequenced files you saved in but you may heavily regrad the one you didn't do, especially if you are on a short timeframe.

I have to be more careful than most others, since I am one of the beta-testers of A:M here, but being half as careful as me is still a good idea ;).

See you

*Fuchur*

Oh my god! I didn't know that was so usual. :blink: I'm realy happy of your beta-testing. And almost everything don't crash but I have a problem with the ''.DXF'' importer which crashes (I think it's because the object has big size, and if it's a high poly model it's sure that I'm gonna have much bigger problems). :huh: (I'm using 11.1d+). And I have to be more careful nowdays (because sometimes very creepy things will happen if you do something wrong!(I think programmers always have to plan many things of what will happen if other things will happen, checking very carefuly their programming and writting too and also don't forget to program anything). :o (And I'm sometimes very curious about how a software works). But I'm very happy to hearing good news from you. Thanks! :lol:

Edited by JackDrama

Oh my god! I didn't know that was so usual. :blink: I'm realy happy of your beta-testing. And almost everything don't crash but I have a problem with the ''.DXF'' importer which crashes (I think it's because the object as big size, and if it's a high poly model it's sure that I'm gonna have much bigger problems). :huh: (I'm using 11.1d+). And I'm trying to be careful nowdays (because sometimes very creepy things will happen if you do something wrong! And I am curious sometimes about how the software works). But I'm very happy to hearing good news from you. Thanks! :lol:

Oh, you are still using A:M v11? That was a quite good version, but since I think v13 to 15 it should be much better than that ;).

I am not even sure if it had the possibility to render to EXR (I think that was added in v13) and you will not find the Post-production module that was mentioned above and so on ;)

See you

*Fuchur*

I have Windows XP. I was planing to use v15 it but I don't think my computer would play it very well. :huh:

I think it would be better to use v11 in XP, because it's almost new. :o But I think we started talking about programs instead of the new year (which is the topic's goal). :blink: Can we please return back in our chat PLEASE? :( Happy new year, Fuchur. :)

Edited by JackDrama

I have Windows XP. I was planing to use v15 it but I don't think my computer would play it very well. :huh:

I think it would be better to use v11 in XP, because it's almost new.

I use windows XP sp3 - 32 bit and all versions of A:M play well with it.

My favorite version of A:M to use so far is 16b-32 (fastest rendering for 32 bit OS, but I haven't tried 18 yet. ). 15j+ also works very well with XP

I think it would be better to use v11 in XP, because it's almost new.

I use windows XP sp3 - 32 bit and all versions of A:M play well with it.

My favorite version of A:M to use so far is 16b-32 (fastest rendering for 32 bit OS, but I haven't tried 18 yet. ). 15j+ also works very well with XP

To me it is about telling stories - how to tell stories 2014?

:=) !! - ) ( .- k K L k . ii . i

Happy New Year!!!

Our I´s are like maps - describing a terrain with up and downs. Let us try to tell stories - with love and truth - for peace - no war - happy new year to you all!

Jack

A quick reply.

I don't know if it was possible in V11 but, it is in V17.

You can apply a Mov file as a decal. Its better to use a sequence because you get more controls to play with but it is possible. The first Test I did used a mov file, exported from Flash, but couldn't get the transparency set correctly, so went to the sequence as described.

regards

simon

AHA! Now I understand. :lol: ''.mov'' couldn't get the transparency set correctly. It's pretty close to that I expected at the begining! :lol: LOL. I don't know if it's possible in A:M 11 either, but it's sure in v17. :huh: But can we please return back in our chat? :(

I think we started talking about programs instead of the new year. So what I decided to create is:

A WALLPAPER WITH ''HAPPY NEW YEAR'' AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD! :yay:

Wallpaper.bmp

Wallpaper.JPG

Edited by JackDrama