Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerry

More ipad misbehavior

Forum pages are once again pushed to the left, apparently because of the width of the scrolling image strip at the top? The same problem came and went when Rodney was tweaking the redesign, and it's back now, just fyi.

I'm staring at the code now to see what might have changed or what can be tweaked.

I'll have to borrow my daughters iPad to test on that screen.

I'm not seeing anything amiss on a PC using Chrome and IE.

Edit: I did tweak a few settings that didn't make sense to me that could be responsible for creating extra space on screen.

We'll have to see if that breaks anything.

Hmmmm... please pardon any dust as I try to adjust.

I'm curious whether you've had a chance to see it on an iPad, Rodney. I think it's fine in regular browsers. If it's any consolation, Facebook is total crap on the iPad.

I'm curious whether you've had a chance to see it on an iPad

Thus far I have not.

Can you do screen grabs on the iPad?

To do a screen grab on an iOS device, just press the home button and the button on the top at the same time. It'll be saved to your camera roll.

I see this behavior, too, but it's a simple stretch movement of two fingers to fix it.

What I would love to figure out is why videos that are saved in formats these devices can play won't play. I'm assuming that it has something to do with how the forum software displays them. It's frustrating to not be able to see them.

Well dang Mark, that's one handy key combo! Yep rodney, it appears I can get a screen grab. Will try that now.

But the failure of uploaded videos to play is something I mentioned like three years ago when I first got my iPad. The forum software converts everthing to a flash file format for some reason.

I was able to get a screen grab but I can't upload from here, and for some reason when I try to email it to myself to upload from the desktop, it just sits in my outbox. I 've tried it about five times already and nothing. I'll try again later.

But the failure of uploaded videos to play is something I mentioned like three years ago when I first got my iPad. The forum software converts everthing to a flash file format for some reason.

I can't imagine how that would happen. The QuickTime videos are regular QuickTime videos and when we download they are still QuickTime files.

I can't imagine how that would happen. The QuickTime videos are regular QuickTime videos and when we download they are still QuickTime files.

And videos linked in from Youtube and Vimeo are still in the same formats as they are simply linked in from the original.

At the time I attempted to post an image of the "broken" icon I see when I try to view videos on this forum. However I don't get the "Flash player not installed" error message or the like. I've never seen the icon anywhere else, it's a triangle in a circle, with a diagonal bar across it.

I've always just assumed it was because of some video conversion going on in the background, and Flash is usually the culprit on the iPad. I'll try to dig up that thread.

That's a play button with a "no" symbol over it.

There's some kind of scripting that takes place when you are delivered an attachment in the forum. The initial link is something like: "index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=(post number)" This then delivers the content, but it's not a direct link.

I think that's what is throwing it off, but I don't know for sure or why.

Link doesn't work on my iPad.

Should we assume the iPad uses some version of Safari browser?

Long shot: Many years ago (about the time Apple stopped supporting .MOV fully) there were issues with displaying .mov files in 64bit.

One fix on Safari was to go into the settings and specify to open the files in 32bit.

Here's a post from someone that had success from that angle... five years ago:

Reset, then quit Safari.

Go to Applications > Safari, highlight and "Get Info"

In the info window, check the "Open in 32-bit mode" box.

After doing this, embedded QT movies are loading for me in safari now. Hopefully this will work for you too.

From what I can tell (from a distance) it seems the whole issue relates to Apple no longer supporting the older .MOV format.

Are iPad users able to view the MP4 movies uploaded to the forum?

Apple doesn't support .mov?

How could that be?

This is for the latest iPad, but here are the specs for videos that it can play:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

With Robert's test, I'm wondering if the Safari iOS browser can't handle linking to a movie file? Maybe it needs to be on a webpage with tags.

I guess the problem with my movie is that it is not in H.264, it's in Sorenson.

I'm staring at the code now to see what might have changed or what can be tweaked.

I'll have to borrow my daughters iPad to test on that screen.

I'm not seeing anything amiss on a PC using Chrome and IE.

Edit: I did tweak a few settings that didn't make sense to me that could be responsible for creating extra space on screen.

We'll have to see if that breaks anything.

Hmmmm... please pardon any dust as I try to adjust.

Hi Rodney,

Here is the problem:

AM_Forums_Home_on_iOS.PNG

This is the cause of it (look at the code at the bottom of the picture):

Screen_Shot_AM_Forums.png

The 1500 pixel width for the banner is causing the problem.

This is only this bad on the home page of the forums.

The code of the other pages seem to use the code on the right side of the second image that I attached. They use a 999 pixel width.

There is one other thing that I see at a glance (in the code) but it's a bit late in the day for me to go into right now.

I'll look at this more closely later to see if there is anything else that I can point out to you.

Thanks Mac, I appreciate the screen shot.

I don't think the 1500 pixels was Gerry's problem at the time he posted this as that was a change after reading his post and trying to find a sweet spot for when folks resize/rescale their browser views.

Initially I thought there was some element outside of a

container that was causing the problem but I couldn't ferret it out.

I've adjusted the pixel size of the default forum skin so that should resolve the issue in your image.

I'd love to hear more on the subject if you are seeing anything else on your end.

I wish I could simply do away with the pixel setting and go with "100%" for the width.