Hash, Inc. Forums

Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" gets slight distribution

robcat2075

This is really interesting. I wasn't aware that something like a character smoking would be seen as a liability nowadays. I mean, look at Pinocchio - the main character himself is seen smoking.

Times sure have changed. People are unreasonably jumpy.

I'm glad I'm in LA - we usually get films when they say "limited release." Hopefully this is playing somewhere around here it sounds worth a viewing.

The sad thing about this is, that because of censorship and siccors in the head a genius like Miyazaki would never have been possible in the USA.

All the interesting and fresh stuff comes from outside the Hollywood industry like Persepolis and Waltz with Bashir.

I wonder how that really great TV series from HBO like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under have been possible...

• Hash Fellow

I would note that Ralph Bakshi did way more than characters smoking cigarettes in his stuff right here in the USA. He gave it a shot.

There really isn't movie censorship in the US. There is no government panel on that. You can pretty much show just about anything if you can get it in a theater.

However, the theater owners themselves generally won't show anything that isn't commercial and lots of cigarettes won't sell lots of tickets.

It's true that Miyazaki would never have made it here, but there's really no equivalent to classic Disney or Warner Brothers from Japan, either. Those are things that could never have grown there. Every culture has its limiting factors, that's not a uniquely American problem.

Disney is a corporation that makes billions based on being a family friendly corporation. It's purely a business decision. This way, the press dubs them over-cautious (or sensitive), rather than there being headlines that read "Disney Encourages Children to Smoke, Spits on WW II Vets"

The sad thing about this is, that because of censorship and siccors in the head a genius like Myazaki would never have been possible in the USA.

All the interesting and fresh stuff comes from outside the Hollywood industry like Persepolis and Walz with Bashir.

I wonder how that really great TV series from HBO like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under have been possible...

A live action cable show has a good deal less risk, loss-wise, than an animated feature-length film.

The sad thing about this is, that because of censorship and siccors in the head a genius like Myazaki would never have been possible in the USA.

All the interesting and fresh stuff comes from outside the Hollywood industry like Persepolis and Walz with Bashir.

A live action cable show has a good deal less risk, loss-wise, than an animated feature-length film.

And now with Netflix getting into content providing...Their original series (excellent): "Orange is the New black" really breaks the censor barriers! Blew my eyes out.

BTW, I am friends with an aunt of the main (and only?) artistic director/animator (Yoni Goodman) for "Waltz with Bashir". My friend is British, but lives here. He lives/lived? in Israel (not sure where he is now). And that of course, must make me really brilliant :lol: