Hash, Inc. Forums

Sister Mary Dracula on Amazon

Gerry

I'd like to let you all know that "Sister Mary Dracula" is now actually, officially a book, available on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Mary-Dracula-...er+Mary+Dracula

As some of you may know, it's the story of nine-year-old Terry Malloy, who believes his teacher is a vampire who breathes fire and wants to drink his blood. Even his best friends Steven and Kenny think he's completely crazy. He decides he alone must reveal to the world this heart of darkness, or at least a cool scale model of it!

Black and white with color covers, 108 pages, and already discounted by Amazon (!) to $9.45. It also should be available in Europe, but I don't think I have a way to check that as yet.

If any of you do get it, it would be great to get some reader reviews on Amazon as well, nudge nudge!

Glad to see you've got the graphic novel out there, Gerry! Really like the cover.

I haven't used CreateSpace, but a cartoonist friend of mine uses it for his books and the books really look great. I've been blown away by the quality of all my POD books. We live in cool times!

You might want to take it over to http://submit.comixology.com to get it into the de facto digital comics store. It's a long process, but it doesn't hurt to have it where it might get discovered. They also create a panel-by-panel version for people on smaller devices. The first issue of The Wannabe Pirates finally was processed and made available last month. I've got both of the Greyhawk graphic novels in the system. It takes longer than I would think it should, but that's probably due to the volume of books they are getting.

Thanks for the comments, gents, and Mark, I've already been looking over comixology. It's definitely a pretty cool system they've developed. At the moment I'm just taking a breather and cipherin' how to do an eBook without having to do it for five different platforms. I can publish it for the Kindle fairly easily now that it's on CreateSpace, but I'm a little flummoxed about the others. Maybe just doing it on Comixology is the way to go.

And thanks to those who have already purchased it!

One downside with Comixology, I should mention.

Because it's so popular, be prepared for your book to be pirated. The Wannabe Pirates #1 showed up in the bit torrents for comics and worse, started to show up on fly-by-night free ebook sites.

I'm of two minds on this. On one, it sucks that this happens, but at the other end, it's also happening to the big books and at this point, it does mean more people are reading it than otherwise.

• Admin

Congrats on getting your book out into more distribution channels.

Here's hoping it finds a sweet spot, garners exponential growth and interest and sells tons of copies.

I'm convinced there would be a sizeable market in Bible stores for 'Sister Mary' as well as 'Goo and Roo'.

The trick of course would be to get the book past the gatekeepers and into the stores in the first place.

Controversy and word of mouth marketing would then either help the print run sell out or get you run out of town (maybe both simultaneously). :P

Cross marketing suggestion: If you update the book put a 'Goo and Roo' strip or two on the inside of the back cover.

Assuming you haven't already done something like that. Those two guys are endearingly funny.

Again... Congratulations!

Thanks for the comments! Mark, that's too bad and not much consolation if people are reading it for free. I hadn't realized how easy it would be to pirate an ebook, just shows what I know about that whole area!

Rodney, thanks as always for your enthusiasm! I had thoughts of getting Sister Mary reviewed by some Catholic websites, or something of the sort, but in doing research online for a couple of hours last night, I was struck by their overwhelming seriousness. I'd also like to submit it for review in some Catholic newspapers (even panned, I'd be happy with that!) but there are fewer and fewer of them. I might submit it here or there, but getting it into bookstores of any kind isn't part of my plans. I would like to stir up some controversy somehow, still thinking on that one.

And Goo and Roo is still alive. They are lovable little guys, right?

• Admin
Catholic websites, or something of the sort, but in doing research online for a couple of hours last night, I was struck by their overwhelming seriousness. I'd also like to submit it for review in some Catholic newspapers

Not trying to read to much into your response but exploring it anyway...

Focusing on catholic outlets would be too narrow of a focus.

I highly enjoyed the story and can hardly be accused of having any affiliation with or affection toward Catholicism.

It's just a really fun and interesting story that happens to be set in a Catholic environment.

As such, it's a sympathetic experience by extension (for non-catholics as well as catholics)... both of the kids and of Sister Mary Dracula herself.

Translation: You really did a great job on this.

And Goo and Roo is still alive. They are lovable little guys, right?

I sure got a kick out of them. :)

You know putting Goo and Roo in a back section of the book isn't a bad idea actually, wish I'd thought of it! I may do it next edition.

When I was first filling out the info on CreateSpace I entered my "official" name, not realizing that that's how the sell page would be populated. Result: the sell page lists me as "Mr. Gerard C. Mooney" and the only way to change it is to re-submit it like a new book, new ISBN and everything. I actually may do that after the holidays and include G&R at that time.

P.S. And *someone* is buying these books, sales are pretty good for just a couple of days!

• Admin
P.S. And *someone* is buying these books, sales are pretty good for just a couple of days!

I'm not sure how it works but hopefully some folks will buy copies in bulk for further distribution and resale.

Does Amazon have a process for that; discounting for bulk purchases? I suppose that is why the quantity field is there although I've never tried a bulk purchase.

There is a lot to choose from out there in the creative world but you have a knack for creating ideas and stories that are intrinsically commercial.

This is an important distinction because that gives your product the edge if and when it does get noticed. It's the difference between "Hey look! Isn't this is cool." and actually generating byproduct and revenue.

While not on the same scale and considerably less permeable... it's shades of 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'.

I'd rather watch an animated episode of "Sister Mary Dracula" than any show currently running on Cartoon Network (esp. those targeting adults).

I'm not sure if that is endorsement for 'Sister Mary Dracula' or a condemnation of Cartoon Network.

Perhaps a bit of both.

I don't know about booksellers, but I ordered a copy for me!

One thing you should consider, Gerry, is ordering a batch of them and selling them online as Signed Artist Editions. You draw a sketch in the inside front cover or if there's a blank space on the first interior page, sign it and charge more for it. You'll be surprised by how many people would rather have that and will pay the extra for it.

Just got my copy from UPS!

Looks pretty good, Gerry!

I was surprised to find that it was smaller than standard comic book dimensions. Was that not an option with CreateSpace?

Of course, I'm looking at the printing to judge it against the one I've been using and I am a little disappointed with the interiors. I sincerely doubt that a normal person would notice or care, but there are noticeable vertical lines visible in the shaded areas. They seem to be more prominent in the lighter areas. In most places, it seems to be confined to the backgrounds, but there are places where it actually goes over the art.

It certainly won't mean anything to the reader, but it does lean me towards sticking with Ka-Blam for my printing.

Congratulations, Gerry!

I'll be putting this proudly on a bookshelf (if I ever get to take my bookshelves out of storage!)

Hi Mark, thanks for the comments. the size is the default size and though there were other options I stuck with the default, as there was some notice about that size working better in the various marketing channels, something like that? I'm fine with the size, it makes the book seem thicker!

I have a few issues with the interior printing, mainly the tight gutters and the pixelation if you look real close, but neither of those things interfere with reading the book. I got better printing with ComixPress. I didn't notice the vertical lines, but I'll look closer when I get home. All in all I'm happy, though there are some layout things I would fix if I decide to resubmit it from scratch. I may do that after the holidays.

If you feel moved to write a review on Amazon I wouldn't mind!

I'm also looking over the guidelines for Kindle. I got an email notice from them that the pdf I sent for the print book was too large a file size to be optimal for Kindle, but I can't find anything specific about what file sizes they prefer. Most of their guidelines are for text-based books. Still Looking, and still mulling the problem of bootlegging. Did you find it was any particular platform or format that lent itself to theft?

Of course, we're nitpicking, the fact that we can get a single book printed on demand without it costing a fortune, is really amazing.

Matching up the size, I see that SMD is 6"x9". A standard US comic book is 6 5/8"x10 1/4".

Amazon's been very strange with their e-comics stuff. They have an app for creating the files, the Kindle Comic Creator, which lets you create it with a guided view, but it seems to create very large files and if you go for the larger royalty rate, Amazon subtracts the "delivery cost" (file transfer) from your profit. I don't remember the particulars, but my memory was that your comic didn't have to get too big before it ate up your profit. Maybe they've updated that.

Any file that a person gets hold of can be pirated. There are applications out there for stripping the DRM off of Kindle books. It's whether they want to or not. I've sold my books digitally before, but most folks weren't aware they existed. Publishing them through Comixology gets them on lists of the week's new releases and the comic book pirates (just like comic book fans) are completists. They want everything that is being released. At least, that's my guess. It's possible they don't pirate every book that comes out through Comixology submit, but I'm thinking if The Wannabe Pirates was pirated, so were all the rest.

You have to just figure out if it's worth it to not make it available. You've made your book available online for free several times. Anyone could have downloaded all of the pages, slipped them into a folder and made a .cbr out of it and pirated it.

I'll have to look for that kindle comics thingy. Haven't seen it in the documentation yet. All the rest of this is good info. True that someone could have downloaded all my jpegs and compiled them, but at present my book isn't in the pipelines that are watched for stuff to steal, if that makes sense. Being on the Comixology release list sort of sticks a "steal me" sign on my back..

I'm looking at my proof copy and I don't see those vertical lines you mentioned, but I'm getting five more copies in a day or so. It will be interesting to see if they vary from the proof.

I'm a little disappointed in the "Look Inside" feature for Sister Mary Dracula on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/1493543164/ref=rdr_ext_tmb . Whatever image conversion they use does not treat gradients very well so there's a lot of banding. If you want a better preview of the artwork, I still have the first ten pages up as a sample over here: http://www.sistermarydracula.com/SMDsample...md_ch1_pg0.html

I'm a little disappointed in the "Look Inside" feature for Sister Mary Dracula on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/1493543164/ref=rdr_ext_tmb . Whatever image conversion they use does not treat gradients very well so there's a lot of banding. If you want a better preview of the artwork, I still have the first ten pages up as a sample over here: http://www.sistermarydracula.com/SMDsample...md_ch1_pg0.html

Hey, Gerry….

I just explored the 10-page teaser and that looks really neat !!!

Hey man, you're gonna be famous !!

The 'story line' has got a grip on me.

Can't wait to read the rest of it.

Looks like it'll get here about next week.

Thanks

Jerry A.

Here's a surprise: "Sister Mary Dracula" is NOT a Graphic Novel! I know, I was surprised too. I was a little confused when I was working through the info section on Amazon when I was setting up. You have to select a genre and sub-genre, and I didn't understand why "Graphic Novel" didn't have a "Humor" sub-genre.

Then I was talking to a friend whose partner works in a Barnes & Noble, and he told me that anything humorous went in the Humor section and NOT the Graphic Novel section! So then the Amazon settings made sense.

Someone on another forum commented that he liked the ten-page teaser but he wouldn't be buying it because "I don't read graphic novels". So I told him not to worry, it's not one, so he can still read it! http://www.amazon.com/dp/1493543164/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Here's a surprise: "Sister Mary Dracula" is NOT a Graphic Novel! I know, I was surprised too. I was a little confused when I was working through the info section on Amazon when I was setting up. You have to select a genre and sub-genre, and I didn't understand why "Graphic Novel" didn't have a "Humor" sub-genre.

Then I was talking to a friend whose partner works in a Barnes & Noble, and he told me that anything humorous went in the Humor section and NOT the Graphic Novel section! So then the Amazon settings made sense.

Someone on another forum commented that he liked the ten-page teaser but he wouldn't be buying it because "I don't read graphic novels". So I told him not to worry, it's not one, so he can still read it! http://www.amazon.com/dp/1493543164/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

graphic novel or no...just ordered myself a copy!

My copy arrived and I read it cover to cover the first time I opened it.

With already reading the first ten teaser pages, I was very anxious to see what was going to happen.

It really holds your attention. A lot of suspense going on. You did that very well.

Very nice little story indeed.

Not as a spoiler, but I enjoyed the (kind-of) surprise ending too and felt… well… relieved…. actually.

I was particularly Impressed with the amount of well done drawings in there.

You appear to have developed your talents very well.

Wow, a 100 page comic book !

Perhaps a "short story" candidate or "mini-novel" I would say.

Quite an accomplishment you have there.

Thanks