Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M Crashing on Mac at Launch (Solved)

TommyDAQ2

A:M won't launch. The splash screen appears for a few seconds, then disappears and the software is no longer active.

A:M version: 17.0g

Mac OS 10.6.8, Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB ram

Tried trashing prefs, tried a fresh install, and tried rebooting. Don't know what else to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, i run a:m on a mac book with 10.6.8, too, v17 works on it, but i´d recommend installing v16 anyways, much more stable on a mac... v18 will run smoother again, but you will have to wait a little for it. unfortunately i actually can´t help with your problem, everything i would have recommended you´ve already tried.. what do you mean exactly by "no longer active"? it just quits after the splash-screen?

I'm with Sebastian, I can't see anything you are doing wrong. Is this your first time using A:M? You should be getting a box you need to type your activation code into. Does the icon disappear from the Dock when this happens? I would expect if it were quitting suddenly for a dialogue box to come up with an error code and acknowledge that the app has crashed. Is that happening?

You say you have trashed your preferences and reinstalled. Did you completely trash the A:M folder first, or reinstall over it? I'd try doing that if you haven't.

I first started using A:M in 1994, so I'm not new to the software. However, I havent' used it in a few years (since about 2004). I bought v17 about a month ago, and it worked fine through a project for about 3 weeks. Then, all of the sudden, I tried launching it and it crapped out. Yes. When I say the application is no longer active... after the splash screen is up for a while, it disappears. Then, if I look down at my dock, the A:M icon is there but no little blue dot under it, meaning it is not running.

So, First I tried trashing MasterPrefs.ini (actually, I just drag it to the desktop, because that is where all of my customizations are stored. - That didn't work.

I downloaded and reinstalled the software - Over the previous version - That didn't work.

I deleted the entire A:M v17 folder and did a completely fresh install, w/ Activation code - That didn't work.

No one at Hash has provided any support. Is there any way to get any support from those guys? It used to be great in the 90s - but that was a long time ago.

Thanks,

Tommy

Is it possible that at start-up, A:M is looking for a project file that may be corrupted?

I know I always set my options so that A:M does nothing at start-up, but I think it defaults to opening the last project. Maybe something in that project is causing A:M to crash?

Do you know what the last project was? Maybe you can move it somewhere else and see if that gets around it.

Well, in looking at the master.log report, each time it makes it to the "Building Library Bar" and that's where it quits every time.

Yeah, I'll try moving the last project and see if that makes a difference, but it really shouldn't from a new install.

Well, that didn't work either. Tried moving (and hiding) all of the projects I had been working on. I even moved my custom library. Nothing works. This is getting VERY frustrating! I've got a project due in a week (from start to finish) and I can't even launch the software! HELP!!!!

Does the Mac have static or dynamic memory pool (bad memory chip will kill some programs at a given spot with static memory pool)? Do any other programs quit like that?

Anything new you might have installed prior to it stopping to work, maybe an antivirus update or some sort of utility that is running in the background?

• Hash Fellow
Well, in looking at the master.log report, each time it makes it to the "Building Library Bar" and that's where it quits every time.

Yeah, I'll try moving the last project and see if that makes a difference, but it really shouldn't from a new install.

Mine says "Creating" rather than "Building". After it is "Property Bar" but I dont' know what to undo for that.

---Creating Status Bar

---Creating Library Bar

---Creating Property Bar

---Creating Comumnity Bar

---Creating Pose Bar

---Creating AMA Help Bar

Have you tried insalling and using v16? just reuse your master0.lic file from v17 to run v16

Does the Mac have static or dynamic memory pool (bad memory chip will kill some programs at a given spot with static memory pool)? Do any other programs quit like that?

Anything new you might have installed prior to it stopping to work, maybe an antivirus update or some sort of utility that is running in the background?

I have no idea about static vs dynamic memory pool. All other apps are running fine. One thing I DID do since it was last running well, was to auto launch FontExplorer X at start up. However, I've already turned that back off and it doesn't fix it.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Mine says "Creating" rather than "Building". After it is "Property Bar" but I dont' know what to undo for that.

---Creating Status Bar

---Creating Library Bar

---Creating Property Bar

---Creating Comumnity Bar

---Creating Pose Bar

---Creating AMA Help Bar

Have you tried insalling and using v16? just reuse your master0.lic file from v17 to run v16

Sorry... mine does that too:

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/BBall.atx

---Loading Bitmap for Tool Bars

---Creating Status Bar

---Creating Library Bar

That's where it stops every time.

I installed 16 and used my 17 license file, but it did the same thing, except there is no log file in that version.

I'm at a loss. Maybe some kind of conflict?

I can't imagine what it would be, though. Do you have any third party apps that maybe use one of the same 3-letter extension? I had Shade installed at one time and it used the shd extension that A:M uses for shaders. Daz and some of those apps had the same conflict. It didn't cause A:M to crash, but it did make the shaders unusable.

I can't imagine what it would be, though. Do you have any third party apps that maybe use one of the same 3-letter extension? I had Shade installed at one time and it used the shd extension that A:M uses for shaders. Daz and some of those apps had the same conflict. It didn't cause A:M to crash, but it did make the shaders unusable.

No, I don't think so, and I haven't installed any new software within the last month or so - at least not that I can think of. This is really weird, and it really sucks... I think tomorrow may have a trip to the apple store in it.

No, I don't think so, and I haven't installed any new software within the last month or so - at least not that I can think of. This is really weird, and it really sucks... I think tomorrow may have a trip to the apple store in it.

Did anything automatically update?

Did anything automatically update?

Well, I enabled Font Explorer X to auto launch at startup - but I think that's about it. I've deactivated that. I have no idea what else could have happened. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but I've no idea what.

I do have a Time Machine backup, and I have the date of my last good render - but I'd have no idea what to try to restore from then..

TommyDAQ2,

You should try that first before taking your computer to the Apple store. Unless there are other problems that you are experiencing on your computer Apple can't do much besides refer you back to Hash Inc for your A:M problems.

Installing v16 to see if it works will help narrow down where the problem could be.

If v16 runs on your computer then we can assume that there may be something specific about your v17 install that needs to be looked at closer. You can run v16 until the issue of v17 on your system gets sorted out.

Also Time Machine won't help you unless you roll your entire disk back to the date it (A:M) was working properly. That would be overkill for just A:M since you have not tried running v16 yet. Even if you did get it working after a reinstall from Time Machine you can't be sure that v17 won't stop working again for the same unknown reason it is not working now.

You could also try running A:M v17 from a different user account on your computer to see if it works there. If it does work then the problem is somewhere in your current home folder.

So I would say try v16 and let us know if that runs then we'll have a better idea of what needs to be done at that point.

Like the others here I to am at a bit of a loss as to why A:M won't work for you now, when it did before. So something has changed on your system.

Possibly if you post the complete log file here someone may spot something in it that helps.

The absence of a crash report screen and your description of A:M's Dock icon suggests to me that A:M is not actually launching, at least not fully, before closing rather than an actual crash.

Have you tried starting your system in 'Safe Boot' mode? (holding down the Shift key during startup) This should load the bare minimum for your system to run without any third party process loading, just in case something is conflicting with A:M. Then try launching A:M.

Another slim possibility may be a corrupted font. Still in Safe Boot use the OSX app 'Font Book' to check your installed fonts and fix any issues with them if it finds any.

Also have you checked your drive and permission with 'Disk Utility' to see if there are any issues with them?

Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete by way of a fix…

If it was a soft ware issue specifically with AM and you did a clean install of the program then that should have resolved the problem. Maybe uninstalling that font program as well and clean install of AM without the font program to test?

If by chance that doesn't fix it, there may be a hardware problem.

Macs used to use static memory pool and at one time I was using Electric Image and it would crash just at one spot at render time and it turned out to be a bad memory stick. Drove me crazy! I don't know if the os version your using is static or dynamic. Dynamic memory pool allows programs to pick different spots of memory to work with and not always at the same spot.

Another thing to do is check the hard drive for bad sectors. A bad spot on your hard drive can also cause headaches I believe the built in disk repair should be able to find and fix unless the drive is really starting to fail.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have tried an install of v16 - it did the exact same thing.

MarkW, I agree that it is more of a "not fully launching" than a crash.

I have not yet tried installing on another user account. That's the next thing I'll try. Nor have I tried a Safe Boot, anything with Disk Utiliities, nor looking for a corrupt font. So you guys have given me plenty more to try. I've pasted in the entire master.log file, which is rewritten each time i try launching the software, so it only shows the latest attempt, but it's below if anyone finds it useful in my systems analysis.

thanks again guys!

Wed Oct 16 08:30:25 2013

---Starting Log

---Animation:Master 17.0g

---MacOS X 10.6.8

---Hardware information:

Number of processors : 2

Processor speed : 2147.48 MHZ

Installed memory : 4096 MB

The MMX instruction set is available.

The SSE2 instruction set is available.

The SSE3 instruction set is available.

The SSSE3 instruction set is available.

The SSE4.1 instruction set is available.

---OpenMP can use 2 threads

---SSE3 SSE enabled Vector used

---Localizing

---Initing Status

---Loading Application Preferences

---This license expires in 330 days.

---Animation Master was successfully activated

---RLM Init succesfull

---Init Plugins

---Loading Gradients

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Two-Tone (with line).gra

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Two-Tone (soft).gra

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Two-Tone (hard).gra

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Three-Tone.gra

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Thermo.gra

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Cartoon.gra

---Loading Gradient : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Gradients/Anime.gra

---Loading User Preferences

---Creating Templates

---Registering Dynamic Load Libraries

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/VuePython.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Volume.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/TreeeZ.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Transfer_AW.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/TimeLog.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Terrain.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/SWF.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Sweeper.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/STL.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/SplitPatch.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Smooth.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Simple_Scatter.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/SetPosition.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Select.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/RMWeight.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/ReSurface.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/ResampleSpline.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/RenderPasses.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Raw.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Push.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Primitive.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/PLY.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/PiMotion.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/OBJ.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/NewtonPhysics.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/NewtonCorrect.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Multiply.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MotCam.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MOT.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MMoP.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MirrorConstraint.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MirrorBone.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Midi.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MeasureDist.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MDD.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MaPD.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/MaP.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/LWO.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/KFM.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/InstallRig.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/H3DS.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/GrowSelection.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Grid.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Font.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Extruder.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/E_Rebuild.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/DXF.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Duplicator.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/DressMe.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/DeleteKeys.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/CutPlane.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Correct_Normals.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Connect.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/CalcSurface.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/BVH.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Brick.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/BakeNull.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/AV2.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/AMXtex.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Amplitude.hxt

---Loading Extension Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/HXT/Align.hxt

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/XRay.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Weave.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Wave.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/WaterColour.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Villa.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Spots.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/SimCloth.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Scales.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/RimLit.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Projection Map.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Planet.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/PencilSketch.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Ocean.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/MultiSky.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Metallic.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Macro.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Landscaper.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Lake.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Joyce.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/InkStroke.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/InkPen.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Grid.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Gooch.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/EyeBall.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Environment Map.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Dusty.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Dented.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Crumple.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Cellular.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/Brick.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/BitMapPlus.atx

---Loading Texture Plugin : /Applications/Animation Master 17.0/Textures/BBall.atx

---Loading Bitmap for Tool Bars

---Creating Status Bar

---Creating Library Bar

I repaired all permissions... didn't work.

I tried installing on a different login - didn't work (However, I didn't uninstall it from my main login before trying that - will try that later) but that didn't work either.

Hard drive is checking out fine. This is really perplexing!

Might not be helpful, but if you open Console in your Utilities folder, there should be User Diagnostic Reports and System Diagnostic Reports. If you turn down the triangles on these, you should see reports of your crashes and hangs (crashes end in .crash, hangs end in .hang).

Selecting one will show the report. Select an Animation Master crash report and take a look at it. It's mostly gobbledy-gook to me, but there might be something there.

Might not be helpful, but if you open Console in your Utilities folder, there should be User Diagnostic Reports and System Diagnostic Reports. If you turn down the triangles on these, you should see reports of your crashes and hangs (crashes end in .crash, hangs end in .hang).

Selecting one will show the report. Select an Animation Master crash report and take a look at it. It's mostly gobbledy-gook to me, but there might be something there.

When I installed it on the other user login, it generated a crash report as soon as it kicked out of the launch. I went through as much of it as I could, but I couldn't understand it. I went ahead and sent it to Apple.

When I installed it on the other user login, it generated a crash report as soon as it kicked out of the launch. I went through as much of it as I could, but I couldn't understand it. I went ahead and sent it to Apple.

You may want to send that report to Steffen too. > A:M Reports

I'll tell him about this thread just in case he missed it till now.

See you

*Fuchur*

Hey Guys, SAFE MODE DID IT!!!!! Finally!!!! I really don't know what it was, but when I rebooted into SAFE BOOT and the software finally launched. I rebooted into regular mode and the software still boots! So, it appears as though it's back!!! Thanks all for all the recommendations. Take care!

-TommyDAQ

:yay:

I didn't even know Macs had a safe mode.

I've been using a Mac since about 1992 and I didn't know there was a Safe mode either. But someone mentioned it, so I looked it up and it worked!!!!

To start your Mac in SAFE BOOT. Shut the machine down, and make sure it's shut down.

Press the start button.

Immediately AFTER the startup bong, press and hold the shift key - but not before.

Hold the shift key until the Apple icon and spinning wheel appear then release it.

In 10.2 - 10.6.8, SAFE BOOT will be indicated by a progress bar during the boot process, then a notification that you've booted into SAFE BOOT at the end of the boot process.

Very cool. So happy! Thanks again to all!

-TommyDAQ

That's good to know. Back in the old days of the Mac, that was starting with extensions off. The control panels and extensions used to conflict like crazy.

Hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if you can still zap the PRAM? :-)

That's good to know. Back in the old days of the Mac, that was starting with extensions off. The control panels and extensions used to conflict like crazy.

Hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if you can still zap the PRAM? :-)

Yes you can Mark, although on Intel Macs it's now called an NVRAM reset.

There's a full list of Boot options for Intel Macs on Apples site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533