Hash, Inc. Forums

Tree Generator Plugin

ZPiDER

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, the decal stamp creation is now finished (i hope).

as with any other decal in a:m, you can add or replace images in the decal and by that control more than one attribute with it (or control it differenly).

also the groups dont need to be pre-existent.

the groups in the screenshot were directly created by the plugin.

i have also added another spline ring for each main segment.

this creates more useful groups, but makes the main branch a bit bumpy .. i'll see if i can fix that, probably i'll lose the extra ring again.

decal2.gif

i have also added another spline ring for each main segment.

this creates more useful groups, but makes the main branch a bit bumpy .. i'll see if i can fix that, probably i'll lose the extra ring again.

Actually, I've never seen a tree that isn't somewhat bumpy. Even the really smooth ones have parts where branches get fatter/thinner. And the cool thing is with these extra rings, we can tweak by hand which way the bump goes by pulling on it. This would make the trees generated even more realistic. What would be cool is to add some sort of random generator (seed--no pun intended) to make those ring splines fall out of line just a bit to simulate nature more closely.

This is getting more exciting every time I come to check it out.

Thanks for the great work Zpider!

another day, and again its 2:00 am and another premiere:

target surfaces can now be animated!

this example doesnt show it off too well, but it actually uses a rotating target surface to get the twisting of the tree.

anim1.jpg

Looks good for swaying in the wind... I think I'm gonna make an animated .gif later.

no sorry for the confusion.

animating the target surface results in a static tree, but think of the target surface as a "light source".

along its life, the tree always grows towards the light source, until it reaches it.

and now you can animate this light source.

i'll have to make a small tut explaining how to "design" the tree with this feature, but it gives you a lot of power.

i've got something cooking for the swaying though :)

also: this version is not up yet. still have to fix some minor things.

the next version will likely only work with 11.0 beta6 and higher.

ok heres a small tutorial on how to create a tree with an animated target surface:

Step 1: Build Target Surface

first you need to construct your target surface. i have just made a "half-torus".

i have also added a bone and assigned the targets cps to it. you can also see the "base" group.

now is also a good time to adjust your thickness, branchlength, regularity and locality curves if needed.

save the project.

tut1_targ.gif

Step 2: Test for Depth

now invoke the TreeeZ plugin.

we are doing this to find out how many levels your tree will have. depending on your target surface and on your locality curve the number of generated levels may vary greatly.

the example tree had 8 levels (0=the topmost level, 7=the trunks base)

note the number as

and reload your saved project

tut1_test.gif

Step 3: Animate Target Surface

now its time for the fun part: animate the target surface!

some important things:

- leave the first frame untouched

- animate until frame

(in our example Frame 7!)

what is at frame 0 will affect the trees base,

what is at frame 7 wil affect the trees deepest tips.

think of the target surface as a light source.

the time from 0 to 7 is the time the tree growed from seed to now.

animating this light source will affect how the tree grows.

tut1_ani.gif

Step 4: Generate!

now let it grow.

IMPORTANT: go to frame 0

then rightclick,wizard,treeez

note how the tree first grows outwards and then up and back inwards. additionally i made the bone spin, this gives the tree its twisted shape.

tut1_tree.gif

TreeeZ Version 0.3 PC for V11.0

+ automatic generation of decal stamp along length

+ target surfaces can be animated (bone animation)

+ "base" group remains free

+ level-groups dont have to be preexistent

+ extra spline ring for main branches

- level0 branches might not reach target cp anymore

and some minor changes to algorithms.

i dont know much about the compatibility of the plugin.

i have tested it with a:m v11.0 beta6. users of earlier versions, please report!

TreeeZ.hxt

I know the latest download was for 10.5, but I tested it in 9.0q anyway, and it doesn't work. The previous 0.3 version doesn't work in 9.0q either.

unfortunately its not possible for me to devlop for all possible a:m versions.

firstly, certain features of the plugin would have to be stripped, as they require newer sdk functions. secondly i would have to build, test and compile the versions.

if you like what you see, go ahead and upgrade to 10.5/11.0! its really worth it. and not just for the TreeeZ plugin :)

if you like what you see, go ahead and upgrade to 10.5/11.0! its really worth it. and not just for the TreeeZ plugin :)

But that certainly doesn't hurt!

10.5 and 11 are really worlds above v9.x. Until 10.5 came out, I was still using 8.5 because of v9's instability and missing functions. You won't regret upgrading.

And anyone who hasn't made the leap past 8.5 because of the interface changes, just do it. I was hesitant at first but now I zip around in there quicker than I did in 8.5.

I'd love to upgrade. Part of the reason why I haven't is because I've been a student and haven't been working. As such, I haven't really had a lot of money. And I know $99 is quite cheap for an upgrade, but I come from Australia, so that's $USD99 + $USD35 International shipping (from the Hash website), which works out to be $USD134 for the cost of the upgrade. Then, I have to convert that to Aussie dollars, which works out to be about $AUD175.37. And even that won't be the exact price, as the exchange rate is always changing, so it could be from anywhere between 170-180 Aussie dollars.

I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just explaining why I haven't upgraded yet.

:P

At least the original version of the plugin you released works with my version. I still have fun making trees with it!

I haven't used Treez much, but after putting the plugin in the hxt file you need to restart A:M. Then make the base shape and name it base, and make the canopy shape. Now open an action and with nothing selected, right click to get the plugins/wizards/treez. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
I know this is an old and dead topic but I want to download this plugin but where is the hxt folder?

It may be old but it certainly isn't dead!

I think everyone is just taking a breather before round 2 starts. :lol:

There are also other plant type threads sprouting up all over the place that have the floor at this time to complement the work by Marcel. :)

Here are three*:

Tree growth Animation

Toon Flower Model with Sliders

Creating Leaves with Hair

Too much fun! :)

...and there are other areas that fit nicely into the realms of greenery; Grass for instance:

Grass from Hair in v11

*Edited

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...