Hash, Inc. Forums

punch babies in the face

greetings my friends :)

after a long period of thinking about it, i´ve decided to dismiss my short movie project "the lunch encounter" (the one with the guy and the cat).

for several reasons:

1. the story wasn´t strong enough.

2. my animation skills are not good enough to compensate the rather weak story.

3. it´s too long.

4. i wasn´t 100% happy with the look anymore.

also i realized i suck at story writing. i really do. i´m always starting to make a movie because i just want to do a short, not because i want to tell a story. maybe some of you can relate to that. i just have fun creating characters and props and sets and doing the lighting and stuff, and i always need a "frame" where all this can happen. and this frame is usually not my strong suit.

but then i realized i possibly should just focus on what i´m good at: advertising.

with that in mind last week i had an idea under the shower for a short which made me laugh really hard... it is really more of a satiric commercial for a imaginary "product":

"PUNCH BABIES IN THE FACE"

it´s only going to be about 30 seconds, fast cuts combined with slow-mo sequences of babies getting punched in the face while the off-voice is selling the "product" in 50s commercial narration style with a lot of sarcasm. i hope it turns out as funny as it is in my head. but it´s not just meant to be funny, it is also meant as critique to the present form of capitalism, which has gotten clearly out of hand (at least in my opinion).

animation will be a lot of fun i guess, i will try to get as much dynamic into the animation as i can, using a lot of squash & stretch. :)

luckily i will be able to use some characters and props from the other short, so all the work wasn´t for nothing.

i tinkered around for days regarding the look, and i think i´m happy with it now. it uses toon render in combination with the newly implemented SSAO feature. the ability to combine toon render with ambiance occlusion is new for me as a mac user, because real AO doesn´t work with toon render. this pretty much comes out of a:m as it is, just a little color correction and fog added in post.

here are the first two set tests and the title screen....

logoplopp__0.00.02.10_.jpg

supermarketscenes__0.00.00.00_.jpg

livingroomscenes__0.00.00.00_.jpg

Hilarious!

Picturing a fun video game/app...

Would love to hear more on how you got that great look - "toon render in combination with the newly implemented SSAO feature"

see the 2 screenshots regarding toon and SSAO settings.. the distance value in the SSAO settings vary, depending on if i´m doing a close up or wide angle shot.

the rest is lighting and texturing. for those shots i used one very distant klieg light casting shadows, softness set to 0.01%. i also used two kickers that are sunlights, mostly backlighting the characters, no shadows. also a very small amount of global illumination of 2-20%, depending on the shot. the livingroom-scene also contains a bulb light.

for the textures i made mainly bitmap plus materials where i use a picture similar to this: http://kindertapeten.de/kindertapeten-shop...49504-b_big.jpg

wait, i think it´s exactly that picture ;)

Screen_shot_2013_10_02_at_00.57.51.png

Screen_shot_2013_10_02_at_00.58.17.png

I can't view this...I can see the beginning up to after the doors opening, but then I get a message that my quicktime player needs some component and directs me to this page:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/c...ubtype=6161636c

Which component do I need?

The movie also hangs my browser and does all sorts of weirdness with my video card.

More than likely some of my problems are because I am using old QT player (7.6.9) and am reluctant to upgrade because then I would have to repurchase QTpro (which currently works fine for what I need)

From what I saw: I want to see MORE. This looks terrific.

I can't view this...I can see the beginning up to after the doors opening, but then I get a message that my quicktime player needs some component and directs me to this page:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/c...ubtype=6161636c

Which component do I need?

The movie also hangs my browser and does all sorts of weirdness with my video card.

More than likely some of my problems are because I am using old QT player (7.6.9) and am reluctant to upgrade because then I would have to repurchase QTpro (which currently works fine for what I need)

From what I saw: I want to see MORE. This looks terrific.

thanks everyone...

nancy, i don´t know what´s going on, it´s just a regular qt-movie, exported from qt7.6 pro... so your player should be able to play it properly... it uses the h264 codec and aac compressor for audio, nothing fancy.

but: there is not more to see, the video stops anyway 2 seconds or so after the doors open

• Hash Fellow

I too get the message that more software is needed.

I notice that the audio codec is "aacl" which is not one I've heard of before.

AFAIK, Quicktime has "AAC" as a standard codec but not "aacl"

Perhaps that is why it's not working for everyone.

The mystery deepens!

Plays just fine for me in Firefox, Chrome & Safari.

My Quicktime movie inspector also tells that the sound is definitely AAC. I wonder if its just Windows systems that are in some way misreading the sound codex?

@ sebastian; like the others here I'm loving the look of your renders!

The SSAO settings you show are a feature in v18 I take it? Something for the rest of us to look forward to playing with!

Hi Sebastion,

Great style you have achieved again!

As for the videoplayability......

(It should be a nogo, that I canot watch the Videos on this Forum on my i-pad!!!)

...I found a great new tool a html5 videoplayer:

http://html5box.com/

Ist free and under GNU Licence and really, really easy to implement on your Websites.

I just installed it and you can watch it in Action on my Website.

No more compatibilityproblems!

Fantastic

• 3 weeks later...
thanks jost!

i´m animating right now, i have about 2/3rd of the animation already done and rendered, but there are still 2 scenes (each one only 2-3 sec) i´m not sure about yet. i might need a few days to think about it.

I did a toon along these lines a few years ago involving drive by slappings. Ironically, some of the ideas came to me as I was showering too. Strange how we think better in the shower. I'm really looking forward to seeing this when it's done! :lol: