Hash, Inc. Forums

Space Pod

Dalemation

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across a slight problem. I have the character constrained to the pod so he sits inside. Fine. However I want the character to be toon rendered and the pod to be 3D (it looks better that way). So I want to render them separately and composite them.

I hide the character in the Choreography but he always renders?

I can delete the character altogether for this one pass but I'm sure he shouldn't render if hidden?

Hi Dalemation

It may depend on how you hid him.

Try this; in the 'Time Line' set the 'Active' state of the character to 'OFF', that will stop him from being both visible on your screen and from rendering.

As this sets a key frame for the 'Active' state make sure you do it at the start of the animation on frame 0.

Screen_Shot_2013_10_12_at_13.30.49.png

That did it. Thanks Mark :)

I was turning off visibility in the Choreography. It's strange as I need to hide the glass 'visor' on the cockpit too and simply hiding that in the model window was enough to stop it rendering. I will have to render that on it's own to place over the character. I do make things complicated for myself! :rolleyes:

I have the character constrained to the pod so he sits inside. Fine. However I want the character to be toon rendered and the pod to be 3D (it looks better that way).

You can render everything together and have a mixture of styles, no need to have separate renders.

In the chor, change the short cut to model/surface properties/toon lines and toon shading such that:

1) toon line width for the POD = 0, and the toon shading method = standard.

2) toon line width = whatever you want (1.5 is default), and toon shading method = toon, or whatever you want for your character and other models

In the camera, set toon render = ON (no override)

That's what I did for this quick test (leopard is toon line width = 0, toon shading method = standard)

toonmix0.png

Edited by NancyGormezano

Wow! Nancy, that will save me a lot of time. I will try that now.

As you can tell, I haven't used A:M so much lately. Only because I've been doing more 2D at home as I do 3D all day. However, I always use A:M when I need to do 3D but I've just got a bit rusty with it :)

I'm amazed at what I do remember and how much I enjoy using it though.

Thanks for the help everyone.