Hash, Inc. Forums

Question for 3D printer owners

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Do the commonly available, ~$500 printers have the resolution to make threaded mechanical parts like nuts and bolts?

Suppose I had something like a trumpet and the threaded cap on a valve was missing, could a printer successfully reproduce detail that small?

Here's an example of such a part off my tuba...

valvecap.jpg

I have the makerbot replicator2 and it has a layer resolution of 100 microns (.0039 inch high layers) and it is good enough to make threaded models.

I can't speak to the other printers but you have to understand that these machines have their printing limits and the smaller details on the that object you are showing, the outside tiny notches probably would be beyond the print detail. but the inner thread would possibly ok.

do you have a model built? I could test here.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

No, I haven't modeled anything yet. I've been looking at old instruments on ebay and many times there are interesting ones that are missing some mechanical part that is either unobtainable or impractically expensive and I got to thinking that maybe 3D printing would be a way to remedy that.

I can't speak to the other printers but you have to understand that these machines have their printing limits and the smaller details on the that object you are showing, the outside tiny notches probably would be beyond the print detail. but the inner thread would possibly ok.

It sounds like the vertical res is better than the horizontal res?

Here is a sample of some bolts and nuts I have printed at 100 Microns. In theory it is possible to print your example, but it would probably require a few attempts and some tweaking

20130922_190524_resized.jpg

20130922_190604_resized.jpg

The round surfaces still look very faceted on those samples. Have any of you been able to try the high-subdivision export in the newest A:M yet?

the mesh density of your object has only a limited effect on a 3d print. without actually printing something like the object you'v shown, from my results the vertical notches on the outside of the object might be out of the scope of the printer.... I think the inner thread might be okay but at that tiny size it would be

tuff.

as far as the "faceting" on the surface of the object... with the makerbot you can get very very smooth objects but if you hold it at an angle to a light source you will see the tiny edges from the additive layer build process.

With the wall thickness being so thin a usable part off of any 3d printer would be unlikely.

In comparison the Makerbot will make a more durable ABS part while Objets and FormLabs will make a slightly less durable uv curing photo polymer.

The knurl pattern would produce better on an Objet or FormLabs type systems.

Your best bet is to bring that part to a machine shop and have them make one. Looks like a fairly simple job for a lathe.