Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Libraries

• Admin

In Excercise 1: You're the Director, the KeeKat character is grabbed from the Library and dropped into a Choreography via 'drag and drop'.

Libraries can be useful tools to organize your models. When the number of characters, props, actions, materials and more that you are using starts to increase libraries can provide a nice solution to organize and get on with animating.

For those that have used Libraries before or use them on a regular basis how do they help you when working in A:M?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Also...

Is anyone using David Faris's AM Organizer program?

Care to comment?

The program can be downloaded (for free) from the A.R.M. via the following link: A:M Organizer by David Faris

*NOTE: A:M Organizer DOES NOT work with v11. The library format has changed.

Somewhere in the forum... I go into more depth on the changes and outline the textfile requirements. In other words... you can edit library files in a test editor.

So, Until A:M Organizer is updated or replaced. Can't use it with v11.

I discovered to my suprise that when you choose an "image" to represent your model (in the file section of the properties) It becomes part of the file--you can delete the original picture.

So I did quickrenders of all of the various models that I've collected over the years and resaved the models. Then I added them to my library by right-clicking in the appropriate folder>New>Shortcut. the little picture shows up in the library! :D

I use the library all the time to apply pre-made materials, sprite emitters, add props to scenes, etc It is really great!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm a new user of AM and wanted to know how I can put the Library from the CD to my hardrive. I was going over the tutorials and when tried to save project it tell me model on the CD is read only.

Any help? Thanks.

Guest billyb

Delgar,

Copy the entire data folder from the CD to your hard drive. In A:M choose tools/options/folders - show folders for "libraries". You should see a path: <CD - drive letter:\data\libraries\>. Change this to the location where you copied the data on your hard drive.

You will still need the CD when you start A:M.

And don't forget to turn off "read only" on the folder you copy over.

BTW, nothing to be <_< about, it's a cdrom, of course AM can't write to it.

You can also embed the models used into your project, and then just save the project. That way you don't have to do all the copying from the cd.

Phil

• 3 months later...

Hi.

When I save a model (or anything) into my libraries, I just get a generic AM picture, plus the model's name. I'd be grateful if someone would tell me how to add a picture of the actual item instead.

Many thanks!

Many thanks, HTH.

That did the trick perfectly.

On a different note, I'm starting to think there's something a bit cranky about my installation of AM 11. As one example, when I try to open the help file from the program menu, I just get a 'failed to open help' message.

Is this a recognised bug, or just another quirk of my setup?

Thanks again!

Not a bug...just the v11 downloads don't come with the help installed as it's too big. You can get it as a seperate installation from the main site....it's under "Reference" on the left hand side.

• Admin

Updating a few older posts for the sake of completion. Please feel free to comment and clarify as necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------

*V11 Update*

The A:M installer now has the option to copy all the CD contents to the harddrive.

Not all updates require a reboot but most allow the harddrive install/reinstall. I do this almost everytime it prompts me to... and I have yet to have any problems associated with CD content accessed via the harddrive.

• 6 months later...

:blink:

The program can be downloaded (for free) from the A.R.M. via the following link: A:M Organizer by David Faris

*NOTE: A:M Organizer DOES NOT work with v11. The library format has changed.

Somewhere in the forum... I go into more depth on the changes and outline the textfile requirements. In other words... you can edit library files in a test editor.

So, Until A:M Organizer is updated or replaced. Can't use it with v11.

I have ver 10.5 & ver 11 both installed on my PC, can I use this software to make a library in ver 10.5 and then copy it to ver 11? Enquiring minds want to know, adding stuff to a library on at a time is a B*TCH!!

<_>

• Admin

Mark,

As far as I can tell a library is a library is a library.

You should be able to access them all in each of the versions post v10.5.

Will Sutton mentioned a utility for creating libraries but I've lost the program and link. I don't think it is A:M Organizer. Not sure.

Creating a library from a directory listing is fairly straight foward and can be done in MS Word in about 10 steps. People with a better knowledge of programming/parising text files could probably do it quite easily.

If we can't locate the utility maybe I'll create a macro for MS Word that would do the job. It would be quite useless to anyone without Word or that doesn't like macros.

Edit: I just realized I contradicted myself here and in my previous post.

The format did change between v10 and v11... I'll have to look again to see where the differences are as I've dumped that info. Apologies.

Edited by Rodney