Hash, Inc. Forums

Dimensional Rounded Bumps

Maka

Hi All,

I've been trying to create a dimension rounded bump on the surface of a globe. Using the library materials, I'm getting either spikes or rectangular protrusions, but not a smooth rounded look. It would also be wonderful to have some size variation in the bumps. What is the best way to approach this ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've been trying to create a dimension rounded bump on the surface of a globe. Using the library materials, I'm getting either spikes or rectangular protrusions, but not a smooth rounded look. It would also be wonderful to have some size variation in the bumps. What is the best way to approach this ?

Which material are you using? The answer depends on what this material is doing.

Size variation in bumps (bump maps) are usually a result of the deviation from neutral gray (RGB=127, 127, 127), whereas white (RGB=255,255,255) would be the maximum protrusion (bump out), versus black (RGB = 0,0,0), the maximum indent. The spikes, rectangular effects that you see, may be because the material does not have smooth transitioning between the values.

There is also usually a percentage value that one can change to indicate how intensely the material is to be applied. Many times you can specify percentages that are way above 100% to have more dramatic effects.

So what material or method are you using now? decal? Material settings?

Looks like you are trying to use displacement method (not bump). The same rules sorta apply tho (white is most raised, black is indented)

I would approach this using a decal to start (cylindrical map, displacement type) whereas the image would probably be horizontal stripes/bands of varying soft gradations of gray. I always turn to decals first, because I understand them better, and I feel like I have easier control to modify.

• Hash Fellow

If I were trying to use the material to make something like your pic #3 my first gambit would be to scale that material much larger on its X Y and Z properties so that its bumps are much bigger.

You may also need to scale down the displacement effect so that the bumps are not trying to rise so far above the surface.

Try that and let us know what happens.

Hi - I tried a few things using cylindrically mapped decal with 2 different patterns (already had these images). I varied the repeat counts for the images so that you could get the idea of how the varying the displacement % and repeat count works.

You would have to monkey based on what image you used, and what appeals to you

Hope this helps some.

EDIT - added new image to show example of grayscale image used for the color, displacement and spec size, cylindrically mapped in same decal container, different repeat count, different displacement %

plasma5.jpg

plasma10.jpg

electricrail5.jpg

electricrail10.jpg

breastplate.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano