Hash, Inc. Forums

Pencil test

Gerry

I copied these frames from a sketched run cycle I found with a Google search, but I changed the proportions of the cat to be fat with stubby legs, then made this quickie movie to see the end result.

OOooo...nice! The leg motion looks good! I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be much tail motion. Are you going for accuracy or comic?

Being the owner of ONE very fat, very stubbied leg puddy, my comments are based on a limited sample: I've never seen my cat run so gracefully. When he does run, usually up the stairs to hide under the bed because the doorbell has been rung by an evil stranger, its a straight line blur with barely any up/down motion. If I were to film it in bullet time I guess I would probably be surprised.

EDIT: couldn't resist uploading a baby picture of Brewster

Brewstir.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I thought the body exaggeration would make it more comic, but when I saw the finished movie I realized the sketches were probably roto'd, since there was little to no exaggeration in the movement. And yeah, I realize a fat cat wouldn't run quite like that, it was just a quick test. I may try a second one and really push the limits, get the body bobbling more.

The tail in what I was sketching didn't have much movement but secondary motion is one of the things I want to concentrate on.

I'm working on a project with a fat cat but I'm not planning on *doing* any animation, just getting familiar with the masses and how they move.

Robert, I'll add a supper dish in the last frame.

EDIT: here's the reference I was using: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/55/...5543657fef3.jpg

SECOND EDIT: Jeez Nan, do something for that cat! It's a cat, right?

The tail in what I was sketching didn't have much movement but secondary motion is one of the things I want to concentrate on.

Now that I think about it, cats really control their tail movement for balance, purposeful action, and perhaps wouldn't actually have the traditional "cartoony" lag/whip type 2ndary action that we usually see?

Jeez Nan, do something for that cat! It's a cat, right?

To be fair, that's when he was 19 pounds & still sporting his baby fat...or was it the traditional extra holiday-time poundage? I forget. He's slimmed down considerably in his old age to a svelte 16 pounds...

I copied these frames from a sketched run cycle I found with a Google search, but I changed the proportions of the cat to be fat with stubby legs, then made this quickie movie to see the end result.

So Gerry, your rendered final is animated roto's ?

or, could you perhaps share the Prj file ?

Hi Gerry, nope I sketched these frames on paper then shot the as a stop-motion movie with my little Nikon. Pretty low tech!

I just tried a more elaborate "sneaky" walk cycle but got ahead of myself and messed it up, but I'll try to post more like this.

Hi Gerry, nope I sketched these frames on paper then shot the as a stop-motion movie with my little Nikon. Pretty low tech!

I just tried a more elaborate "sneaky" walk cycle but got ahead of myself and messed it up, but I'll try to post more like this.

As I recall now, there's the method where you can drag/drop a Sequence of frames on a camera in a chor., although even here, with my new 21" iMac, it's a bit finicky and frames drop occasionally.

None-the-less, it's a visually rewarding process when it works. The old new-tech method?

Perhaps a series of same sized, grid-ed pages in Gimp (or some other) to draw and save a sequence?, which I think I may try.

Great fun, if you can draw well enough too.

To me, It almost suggests an A:M request for some method/module to create this simple process.

Don't worry about the PRJ, thats where all the work is and I should be doing my own.

Thanks Gerry, Jerry