Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Movable licence

Heiner

Hi there,

besides AM i am using some other programms, one of which has a transportable licence.

They install the licence file (if the customer wants) onto a usb stick. That USB stick must

be present when you want to run the programm. Is that possible for AM to?

That would be so cool and would give me the option to work wit AM at work too ... Hehehehehe.

Regards

Heiner

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind spending the extra money for a dongle and have the ability to run on my main system or laptop (not at the same time). I recently asked AM if there was any other version besides the reg sub but didn't hear back.

Many companies allow 2 installations (one computer one laptop) which works out well. I'm sure there are abuses with that but this seems to be a common wish many AM users seem to have.

I have engraving software that uses a dongle. I believe the replacement of it is in the $300 mark. EIAS 3d is dongled and offer theirs at $50. Hard to tell if it is cost effective or even feasible with AM.

• Hash Fellow

I don't know what the exact economics of it are. The software that makes it work has to be licensed and typically costs a fee per dongle.

One vendor I just looked up charges about $20 per dongle depending on the quantity. Shipping that to a customer would add $10 or more. And, if it were me, I'd add some charge on top of that to recover the revenue lost from people who are no longer buying multiple subscriptions. This might be a $50+ cost to the end user.

There are dongle schemes where the end user provides the USB RAM stick and the key is installed on that but i don't know how those are regarded security-wise. Apparently they have not put the physical dongle providers out of business.

More of a portability issue over economics. The CD version allowed users to simply load it in and run AM on any number of machines so long as that CD was in the machine. AM being tied to the CD and not a specific machine. Since that is no longer available, a hardware dongle where a subscription tied to it would give users the same portability with a single license.

Users would still have to subscribe to AM.

Does that make sense?

Maybe a memory stick version might work in this case.

• 5 years later...