Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

x-23, a.k.a. Laura Kinney

• Admin

Sabertooth... what can I say.

He didn't start out being Logan's brother but someone thought it'd be cool if that was the case.

Is the movie wrong?

Well, the movie is wrong about almost everything else but at least it gets the original idea of Sabertooth's claws right.

Sabertooth appeared for the first time in IronFist#14 (also written and drawn by X-Men writer/artist Claremont and Byrne who arguably created the character who we recognize as Wolverine*)

Sabertooth has always been depicted as having claws on the ends of his fingers (Ref: IronFist#14)

So in that the movie gets Sabertooth's claws right. But... keep in mind... we aren't talking about Sabertooth's claws here.

The brother-thing was a retcon/addition which we now have to accept as cannon.

It's fairly obvious from earlier stories however that they were fellow experiments in weaponizing mutants but not brothers.

But I concede the point and accept they are brothers. (I don't get to decide because it's not my universe)

With the exception of some 'what if' stories... and apparently an oddity called "Wolverine: Origins Third claw" which appears to have the middle claw coming out of the opposite side of his hand ( :blink: ) Logan's claws have always extended from between his fingers.

In the pic you link to Wolverine has his adamantium claws protruding from in between his fingers.

Sabertooth has his claws at the end of his fingers (i.e. fingernail claws)

So, at least in this we can say that the movie got both characters claws right.

*Wolverine had many creators (he appeared first in the last panel of Hulk #180) but Claremont and Byrne are generally recognized as pushing him to the iconic character he is today.

I have two copies of Hulk#181 in near mint condition if anyone wants to buy one! :)

Added: Reference page from Ironfist#14 with Sabertooth's (gloved) claws.

sabretooth.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sabertooth... what can I say.

He didn't start out being Logan's brother but someone thought it'd be cool if that was the case.

Is the movie wrong?

Well, the movie is wrong about almost everything else but at least it gets the original idea of Sabertooth's claws right.

Sabertooth appeared for the first time in IronFist#14 (also written and drawn by X-Men writer/artist Claremont and Byrne who arguably created the character who we recognize as Wolverine*)

Sabertooth has always been depicted as having claws on the ends of his fingers (Ref: IronFist#14)

So in that the movie gets Sabertooth's claws right. But... keep in mind... we aren't talking about Sabertooth's claws here.

The brother-thing was a retcon/addition which we now have to accept as cannon.

It's fairly obvious from earlier stories however that they were fellow experiments in weaponizing mutants but not brothers.

But I concede the point and accept they are brothers. (I don't get to decide because it's not my universe)

With the exception of some 'what if' stories... and apparently an oddity called "Wolverine: Origins Third claw" which appears to have the middle claw coming out of the opposite side of his hand ( :blink: ) Logan's claws have always extended from between his fingers.

In the pic you link to Wolverine has his adamantium claws protruding from in between his fingers.

Sabertooth has his claws at the end of his fingers (i.e. fingernail claws)

So, at least in this we can say that the movie got both characters claws right.

*Wolverine had many creators (he appeared first in the last panel of Hulk #180) but Claremont and Byrne are generally recognized as pushing him to the iconic character he is today.

I have two copies of Hulk#181 in near mint condition if anyone wants to buy one! :)

Added: Reference page from Ironfist#14 with Sabertooth's (gloved) claws.

As I did only read Spiderman-comics and very likely a lot less than most of you, I can only talk about the movies here...

As far as I know, the movie is not really saying they are brothers but they just live together in very early years. I think Sabertooth works for the family of Logan (or the other way round... I am not sure right now).

Then something happens and the father of one of both is killed by one of the kids with his claws. Both can not die (at least not very easily) and fight in different wars from first world war to korea war (or maybe vietnam, something like that) till they get put into a team. There Logan is the one with concerns about killing people over and over while Sabertooth is killing everything that walks around.

Logans claws are always coming from inbetween his fingers. But only when he has to fight Saabertooth and looses he is getting his adamantium. Before that he just is a guy with horn claws and a rapid regeneration. (which is true for both of them).

Adamntium is something only Logan gets and like that he is able to fight Sabbertooth.

You mean my idea was weird? :( Or you like it? :)

i like it ;). And I do not see why you should not do it the way you like it no matter wheather the movie or the comics say it is different ;).

I myself think it looks a little strange to have only one claw at the feet (I would have used 4 or 5 claws) but still looks great :).

See u

*Fuchur*

• Admin
I myself think it looks a little strange to have only one claw at the feet (I would have used 4 or 5 claws) but still looks great smile.gif.

Yes, the one claw on each foot looks very odd.

It might make a little more sense if it was straight (i.e. form and function might suggest she'd use it for climbing... as mountain climbers do to stab into crevasses).

But we understand you are simply following the comic book design here Jeff!

It's funny how much has changed since those early days of the X-Men.

Originally, it was intended that Wolverine's claws were part of his gloves. That's why they had the piping that they extended from. They used to be drawn like marlin spikes. I think Frank Miller was the one that started to draw them like they were flat knives.

Then they decided the claws were mechanically added when they laced his skeleton with adamantium. That was really cool and made sense, but then when I heard that he had bone claws that somehow magically retracted in and out of his forearms, I laughed out loud.

Does he have special muscles that some how are strong enough to propel these bones all the way up his forearm and hand, lock them in place and then somehow do the same in reverse. Instantly, mind you.

(shakes head.)

But then, I stopped reading the X-Men when Chris Claremont stopped being the sole X-Men writer.

Wow, that is a conversation, haha. I'm glad my thread had spawned some awesome conversations. The claws are in between her fingers. I know that third claw is weird, but like you stated Rodney, I am only following the character design ;)

Thanks again.

Your welcome, Jeff. ;) I was thinking about her big sister and I thought I could make her look a little like (your heroine), but she could be taller and I found a design for how exacly her braid would look from the back. :) She's got blue eyes. :) The design of the bangs will be based on the image with the girl with the brown hair, and I cant wait to see her while you make her in 3D, please Jeff. :yay:
I named her s-58 a.k.a. Tiffany Kinney. :)

Hope I helped. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've done a few minor updates, and few bigger ones. I adjusted the size of the claws, changed the skin tone, and added the start on the boots, and the "X" symbol.

Just thought I'd give this one a go again.

Jeff B.

x_23_028.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comment Rob. I will probably get back to her in time, but right now I'm working on another female superhero that I will put a post up in a day or so for it.