Hash, Inc. Forums

x-23, a.k.a. Laura Kinney

All the awesome contest entries got that itch going again. I thought I would do something a little different for me, a superhero that wasn't Spider-man -- and make her female :). x-23 is the female clone of Wolverine, for those who don't know. I have basically forgot how to do everything, so it should be fun.

I already have so many topics where I show me modeling from the very beginning, this one I already am up to having most of the body done.

I started with a ref I drew on my iPad (1). I wanted to go more cartoony/real with this one. I thought my reference turned out fairly well so I tried to match it as well a possible.

For the actual model I just have color blocking and SSS on her, no decals yet. The color blocking is just to see what the outfit might look like and to get people who don't understand to quit coming in and saying, "Why is she naked?"

I haven't decided if I will go with a basic set of claws or make them a little fancier.

Thanks for looking.

roto_x_32_001.jpg

x_23_009.jpg

Thanks a lot for the comments everyone!

Here's a wireframe from the same positions. Please excuse any bad splinage, it's been awhile since I modeled anything.

So my friend is harping on what he calls "the freakishly long forearms and hands". I thought it was a good look. I thought it would look better in for the final pose. Do you think I should make them more "normal" sized, or keep them the same?

x_23_009_wire.jpg

The face seems like it is a little spline-heavy, but everything else looks like fantastic modeling to me, Jeff. I really like how you modeled the abs.

As far as the arms and hands, I would put in a simple arm and hand rig to see how they look when posed.

Thanks for the comment, Dave. I haven't done any editing of my splinage yet, but you are definitely right. I am also planning on making a "nude" version of the model. So I will have actual feet, and I still have to add detail to the legs. Then I will have to decal the whole body before I even move onto a uniform or outfit.

Thanks John :). I've already done some editing on the splines and I'm starting on the legs and feet this weekend. I was going back and forth if I wanted to do the legs and feet because they will be covered, but I figured I better.

I think I have the final work done on my base model. I might have to work a little on the knees though, they seem a little too big to me. I also haven't placed the teeth, tongue and gums in yet.

I decided to make a full model, including feet, in case I decide I would like to use this model as a base for others.

I think I cleaned up the splines fairly well, but I will be adding far more splines when I make the uniform/outfit. I will be going for the bikini top/leggings/combat boot look, at least for this image.

EDIT: I now think I will make the arms a regular length. They are starting to look a little long to me.

x_23_010.jpg

x_23_010_wire.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys :).

I decided to take the advice of Mark and others and make some changes to make her more "normally" proportioned.

Here's my list of changes:

- "lightened" the collar bones

- fixed the knee areas

- shortened and resized the forearms and hands.

Now I have to start working on making my groups for decaling the entire body. I don't think I'll be putting that much detail into it. Just adding the "flesh colors", maybe some color for muscle definition, maybe some veins. That sort of thing.

x_23_011.jpg

Just to show I'm still working on this, here's a render of my character with my decal template in place. This is a 4-pass render. I left SSS on just because :). It's not perfect, but I believe it's good enough.

I am also posting a smaller version of the template just in case others would find that useful.

Thanks for looking.

x_23_012.jpg

x_23_012_uv.jpg

Well It took me awhile. I posted that at 7:48pm my time. I think I started at about 2:30pm and did it off and on while I watched Netflix, haha. So I don't have an actual time.

I don't know what you mean "manually", but if you are wondering if I used any plug-ins, I didn't. It's been awhile since I did this so I think I would have done it quicker if I was in my prime again.

Thanks for the question :).

EDIT: I should add that with all the decal groups I had to make, it probably adds and additional 2 hours to the time. That took me awhile to figure out where I wanted some of those groups.

Here is the finished skin texture. I decided I wanted to go fairly simple here. I used a variation of Jim Talbot's method to make the base skin color. I am only using a bump on the eyebrows. Some very basic spec and reflection maps as well.

I might have gotten a little more complicated, but I just can't get my decal to show up right in A:M. It just comes out to pixelated to get a really good idea of what I'm placing until I render it. I used to know a trick to get it to show perfectly in real time, but I forgot how to do it *sigh*.

Like I said though, I just wanted something fairly simple and clean for the skin.

x_23_013.jpg

Just a quick update for anyone who would like to know. I have toned down the red in her skin a lot. I was going for that "healthy glow" look, but instead she looked a little sunburned. So next still update will have a her skin less burned :).

Ok, so the top is done and I started on the legs. I am going a little different from the regular costume, but not by too much. I also fixed the mouth. It was looking a little too much like a pair of wax lips instead of an actual mouth.

Thanks for looking.

x_23_022.jpg

Thanks a lot for the comment, Steve! I appreciate it.

Here's where I am on the costume right now. I have removed all my seams that I had in the uniform with splines. It is just too difficult to add them in with splines, so I am hoping I can re-add them with normal maps. This will be the last picture I post until I have the costume totally done.

Thanks for looking.

x_23_025.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for the comment, Mark.

Well, I threw out my back pretty bad a few months ago and been having trouble doing just about anything. I am hoping to get back to this project soon though.

Thanks again for reading.

Hey Jeff,

Really cool model. Really well done. I'm new to A:M and I had a couple of modeling questions. (Please don't take these as criticisms, just observations.)

Why do her breasts have as many patches as they do? It seems like you could keep the same form with less density. Yes or No?

I know her anatomy is cartoony/stylized, but her hands seem really huge compared to her feet. Looks a bit odd to me (but modeled well) Design choice or oversight?

I love the way you modeled her abdomen and the rest of her features very feminine.

Also, to follow up on Rob's post. Where can I find a tutorial to flatten the patches like you show in an earlier post?

Kudos,

Keith

Hi KJ'd Beast,

Will Sutton has some good video tutorials on flattening and decaling a model on his YouTube channel, where he takes you through decaling the Hipogyraf From the Oz movie.

Part 1 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfP9jpMmlE

Also if you have the Extras DVD there is a tutorial in there by Jim Talbot on the same subject.

Path: Extras DVD > Tutorials > Decaling > Jim Talbot

Hi KJ'd Beast,

Will Sutton has some good video tutorials on flattening and decaling a model on his YouTube channel, where he takes you through decaling the Hipogyraf From the Oz movie.

Part 1 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfP9jpMmlE

Also if you have the Extras DVD there is a tutorial in there by Jim Talbot on the same subject.

Path: Extras DVD > Tutorials > Decaling > Jim Talbot

Just to say it: This character is really a great one! Keep up the terrific work!

Love the style and with the style I do not think that the hands are too big... in general the hands need to cover the face if layed over it and I think that is working quite good.

It may be that the boots are a little too big, but I do not see that as a problem... if she is a soldier (or so) she needs that kind of boots may.

See you

*Fuchur*

Hi Keith, the hands have been shrunken down considerably since I fist made them. I think they look fairly good now. The chest area probably does have too many patches. I will be honest and say I have not modeled a lot of female characters, so it probably has something to do with that :).

She will also be wearing combat boots by the time I finish her shoes.

Thanks for the comments and questions everyone. Hopefully my back will be better soon.

• 2 months later...

Just to show that I haven't totally forgot that I was working on this, here's a little update. . My back is still screwed up ,and now it's tax season, I don't have a lot of time, but I thought I would post this.

I added some red to the skin and added some claws.

Thanks for looking

x_23_027_b.jpg

Female clone of Wolverine? :blink: INTERESTING! ;) I love how you did her skin. :) And It would be perfect if she had a big sister with a long hair attached to a braid (by using the hair system). :yay: And if it's difficult for you,I can help :) :

http://www.thepurseworkshop.com/basic-braids.html

And there is something I learned about making braids in action girls :yay: :

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BraidsOfAction

I'd like also to see her in the CD. :yay:

• Admin

Ah... it's good to see any update! :)

I hope you have relief concerning your back soon Jeff.

We've missed you posting regularly.

I'm not that familiar with the character but there is something that doesn't look quite right with the claws... although it may be an illusion of the angle you've rendered.

It almost looks like her claws extend from her fingernails (which more than a few Image-era wolverine wannabes followed stylistically but generally it was the entire finger that turns into a blade.

If a clone of Wolverine/Logan then shouldn't the claws should emerge from inbetween the fingers?

I think you have that right as I see a hint of metal going toward her knuckles but if that is the case then the current bend of her claws creates something of an impossibility in that she won't be able to retract the claws into her forearms (he says like this is something every normal human can do).

(Not that a lot of artist interpretations of Wolverine's claws could retract into his forearms either!)

Disclaimer: I haven't a clue what her claws should look like.

The only thing that seems clear is that whereas Logan has three claws extending from inbetween his four fingers, she has two... i.e. she is missing the middle claw for some reason (let me guess... lack of sufficient quantities of adamantium?)

Ah... it's good to see any update! :)

I hope you have relief concerning your back soon Jeff.

We've missed you posting regularly.

I'm not that familiar with the character but there is something that doesn't look quite right with the claws... although it may be an illusion of the angle you've rendered.

It almost looks like her claws extend from her fingernails (which more than a few Image-era wolverine wannabes followed stylistically but generally it was the entire finger that turns into a blade.

If a clone of Wolverine/Logan then shouldn't the claws should emerge from inbetween the fingers?

I think you have that right as I see a hint of metal going toward her knuckles but if that is the case then the current bend of her claws creates something of an impossibility in that she won't be able to retract the claws into her forearms (he says like this is something every normal human can do).

(Not that a lot of artist interpretations of Wolverine's claws could retract into his forearms either!)

Disclaimer: I haven't a clue what her claws should look like.

in wolverine origins his "brother" and sabatooth have that fingertipp stuff right? but do the have adamantium for those other? i am not sure...

• Admin
in wolverine origins his "brother" and sabatooth have that fingertipp stuff right?

Nope. They were biological claws (originally*) but still extrude from inbetween the fingers.

The claws were removed/replaced with adamantium (to make him a better killer).

Reference: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/1...-claws-come-out

More useless trivia: One of the major sources (if not the major source) of adamantium is the hidden African Kingdom of Wakanda which is where Prince T'Challa (The Black Panther) reigns.

T'Challa and Ororo (Storm) were kids together back when Ororo was worshiped as a goddess... unless someone rewrote Marvel history that is)

My understanding of X-Men history begins to trail off circa Issue 160 or so which was about the time the writers and artists didn't seem to care who the characters were anymore... they seemed to keep forgetting... so I stopped caring who they were as well. ** ;)

*Originally of course, depends on who tells/told the tale.

** I still have my X-Men comic collection though. :)

Edit: I may have to revise my estimation of when the X-Men went off track for me. It began with John Byrne leaving but stayed stron funtil after Dave Cochrum left (at least the Cochrum issues were fun to read). The point where I know X-Men had turned a corner was when Ororo started sporting a mohawk. By that time she'd very obviously been replaced by an alien impostor. Hmmm.... now that's got me wondering if they discovered the switch and rescued the real Ororo... ;)

in wolverine origins his "brother" and sabatooth have that fingertipp stuff right?

Nope. They were biological claws (originally*) but still extrude from inbetween the fingers.

The claws were removed/replaced with adamantium (to make him a better killer).

Reference: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/1...-claws-come-out

More useless trivia: One of the major sources (if not the major source) of adamantium is the hidden African Kingdom of Wakanda which is where Prince T'Challa (The Black Panther) reigns.

T'Challa and Ororo (Storm) were kids together back when Ororo was worshiped as a goddess... unless someone rewrote Marvel history that is)

My understanding of X-Men history begins to trail off circa Issue 160 or so which was about the time the writers and artists didn't seem to care who the characters were anymore... they seemed to keep forgetting... so I stopped caring who they were as well. ** ;)

*Originally of course, depends on who tells/told the tale.

** I still have my X-Men comic collection though. :)

then the movie is wrong: http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/...thers.jpg"" target="_blank">Visit My Website http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/.../w-brothers.jpg