Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toon Test

fae_alba

One of the decisions I need to make with my planning of Pappa Bear's career is whether or not to do these as toon renders or straight up 3d. One of the considerations is the setting. These shorts will be based in the Walt Disney World parks, initially Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. So I need to figure in creating the buildings as either models or simple projection maps. Also, while I really dig the old timey toon look, I'm not entirely sold that it is appropriate for this.

I put together a quick test to see how Pappa Bear looks in both 3d and toon renders. I used a back drop painting that I had acquired at an auction that was used in an unknown Hanna-Barbara 1960's cartoon. I know the camera settings are all messed up for this test, but for the purposes of this comparison it'll do.

test0.pngtest_toon0.png

for reference this is the panel

panorama_a.jpg

So what I am looking for here, is input, thoughts, considerations on the "best" way to take this.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the decisions I need to make with my planning of Pappa Bear's career is whether or not to do these as toon renders or straight up 3d....

So what I am looking for here, is input, thoughts, considerations on the "best" way to take this.

Paul

I must declare an interest here as I'm working on something with a similar question, so I may be biased.

My preference would be for the toon settings. The reasons being that, aside from my personal tastes, its visually different from the majority of 3D cg work. Depending on the staging and setup, it would be possible to get a distinctive style that was different from the usual photo real 'gloss' ( even with stylised character design ). Thats not to dis the photo real, there are many fine exponents on this forum, just to suggest that the high finish surface can be a distraction rather than an asset to your narrative ?

I would be surprised if other people did not have different views on the subject though, so take the above with a ton of salt.

regards

simon

Toon! --and I like the simple background too :)

I've been learning an app called Procreate on my iPad to create digital paintings to use as backgrounds for TAR of Zandoria. When I look through the "Art of _____" books that accompany many CG movies, one of the things that I find is that I like he look of the 2D concept paintings much more than the 3D scene in the movies...So I thought I might be cool to just paint everything and layer it all together.

One of my desires is to match the look/feel/color pallets from the original Disney shorts as closely as possible. I like the effect that Disney had with the multi-plane camera (Bambi) but the simplicity of the earlier shorts. Call me nostalgic, but that is what I am looking for. Add to that, with the complexity of the sets (the Disney theme parks) I can take some artistic license with the backdrops, making them simpler and quicker to render, and the audience will accept them as the theme parks. So I am leaning towards toon ass well. Anybody else wanna weigh in?