Hash, Inc. Forums

3D printing tutorial

It appears there will be no 128 export in V18 due to some logical legitimate reason.

Not sure what solutions are out there. Lots of work arounds none of them easy.

http://cloud.netfabb.com/

Is great for fixing the problems with the STL files that AM spits out. Unfortunately it does not work for me when I upload stl that have been exported higher than 64.

And 64 is way to low of a resolution for most prints.

You could model in more splines as a work around but that is a headache and not really practical.

You could download the free netfabb basic software and give that a go but I have not had success with it in terms of fixing 256 exported stl files.

To be fair many programs spit out stl files with problems, its kind of a known issue.

It appears there will be no 128 export in V18 due to some logical legitimate reason.

Not sure what solutions are out there. Lots of work arounds none of them easy.

http://cloud.netfabb.com/

Is great for fixing the problems with the STL files that AM spits out. Unfortunately it does not work for me when I upload stl that have been exported higher than 64.

And 64 is way to low of a resolution for most prints.

You could model in more splines as a work around but that is a headache and not really practical.

You could download the free netfabb basic software and give that a go but I have not had success with it in terms of fixing 256 exported stl files.

To be fair many programs spit out stl files with problems, its kind of a known issue.

In general i get good results (the highest I go is 1024... it is enough for printing and even the Makerbot support was wondering about the very high solution when I ask a question about a problem I had with the extruder.

I use NetFabb Studio Basic and in most situations I can solve the problems in it. I do not recommend the online-service, since you just can not see that good what is done and what needs to be fixed.

Sometimes I use the Basic repair-algorithm and sometimes the simple one or both and it turns out fine in most situations...

The most important thing is to have a very good topology in your model, close all holes and be sure about your normals. Closing holes should always be done straight (do not try doing it with rounded splines... that is not really possible without problems) and use a grid-structure to do it.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: 128 is not possible because every patch has to be divided by 4 polys (using the existing algorithm) and that will limit you to 4n levels... that is 1 = 40, 4 = 41, 16 = 42, 64 = 43, 256 = 44, etc.

Does it HAVE to be 128? 256 won't work better?

It does. In general the higher the better. Never even tried 4096 till now but 1024. In my cases there was just no use of going higher till now.

He is just having problems with printing these stls. It sometimes can be tricky since certain spline structures in A:M which tend to produce problems but runing it through fabb studio i could print each one i wanted without a bigger problem.

the mug in the video was exported at 1024. i tried 4096 but it seems to crash in V18 A1.

Did it crash or did it just take a VERY long time? Because that may be happening there... tried to export something at 4096 but it really takes LOOOOOONG...

See you

*Fuchur*