Hash, Inc. Forums

Bones mirror mode

• Admin
after I mirrored everything I got those unassigned Cps which I can't seem to fix.

You can't go into Bones mode and apply the unassigned CPs to the Bones?

how to mirror the cp

It looks like you've already done that (via Copy, Flip, Attach I presume?).

When mirroring there are a few things you have to watch out for. One is that the names are correct (which seems to be correct in your case).

I'm trying to recall the rules for mirroring bones here...

When it comes to CP assignments you may be running into a problem with asymmetry in that the plugin doesn't 'see' any CPs in the exact mirrored position so it doesn't assign any.

Also, make sure that the Group in question isn't just an extra Group that duplicates one that has the CPs already assigned.

An easy way to assign CPs to Bones if you've already got the CPs grouped would be to hit the H Key to hide everything in Modeling Mode then go into Bones Mode and assign the visible CPs to the Bones.

Without being able to look at your actual files it's hard to see what you see on your end.

Just so we know we are looking at the same thing can you confirm that it is the following (Lite Rig) tutorial that you are referencing?

Holmes Bryant Lite Rig Tutorial

The reason I ask is that I don't recall any place in Holmes's tutorial where the Mirror Bones plugin is used...

after I mirrored everything I got those unassigned Cps which I can't seem to fix.

You can't go into Bones mode and apply the unassigned CPs to the Bones?

how to mirror the cp

It looks like you've already done that (via Copy, Flip, Attach I presume?).

When mirroring there are a few things you have to watch out for. One is that the names are correct (which seems to be correct in your case).

I'm trying to recall the rules for mirroring bones here...

When it comes to CP assignments you may be running into a problem with asymmetry in that the plugin doesn't 'see' any CPs in the exact mirrored position so it doesn't assign any.

Also, make sure that the Group in question isn't just an extra Group that duplicates one that has the CPs already assigned.

An easy way to assign CPs to Bones if you've already got the CPs grouped would be to hit the H Key to hide everything in Modeling Mode then go into Bones Mode and assign the visible CPs to the Bones.

Without being able to look at your actual files it's hard to see what you see on your end.

Just so we know we are looking at the same thing can you confirm that it is the following (Lite Rig) tutorial that you are referencing?

Holmes Bryant Lite Rig Tutorial

The reason I ask is that I don't recall any place in Holmes's tutorial where the Mirror Bones plugin is used...

I am looking at that the Holmes Bryant lite rig tutorial. He is using the mirror bones plugin.

• Admin

I see Holmes has this note in that topic:

Hi Gerry,

When you Copy/Paste Mirrored, be sure you have the "Whole Model" filter button activated. Don't try to just CPM a bone or a branch. At least in v15.

I have used CPM on many occasions with the LiteRig and it has always worked fine, but that does not mean it will always work flawlessly for you. I guess it just depends on the way you work. If you can list a series of steps that always produces a funky result, it would help greatly in troubleshooting any problems you might be having.

Might that apply to your problem?

I see Holmes has this note in that topic:

Hi Gerry,

When you Copy/Paste Mirrored, be sure you have the "Whole Model" filter button activated. Don't try to just CPM a bone or a branch. At least in v15.

I have used CPM on many occasions with the LiteRig and it has always worked fine, but that does not mean it will always work flawlessly for you. I guess it just depends on the way you work. If you can list a series of steps that always produces a funky result, it would help greatly in troubleshooting any problems you might be having.

Might that apply to your problem?

I am going to have to try this when I get home.

My first thought is; "are they really unassigned?"

With your model in 'WireFrame' go into 'Bones' mode. If a CP is really unassigned it will be Black. If assigned it will have the colour of the bone it is assigned to. To double check this, click on a bone and all Cps assigned to it will start flashing with the selected bone.

If you want to triple check, open an 'Action' window and see if the Cps move with the desired bones.

In the PWS 'Groups' the same Cps can belong to many different groups which in turn can be called anything. Looks to me like some automated feature in the assignment kicked in and made this group for reasons best know to itself!

Save an incremental version of the model and then I think it would be safe to just delete the group from the PWS and carry on.

Rigged_color.jpg

Somebody please tell me there is a simpler way to rig. I tried holmes' tut but it get jacked up in the second vid when I try to make the null for the neck.

Hi Douglas,

Telling us that things are "jacked up" does not put us in a better position to help you.

I'd like to try and help you get this right but can you be more specific about which problems you are running into right now?

I don't know anything about the Lite Rig so I'm guessing that I may be able to help you at a more fundamental level when it comes to rigging.

If you are comfortable with uploading the model file with the rig here then I can look at it and see what you have done so far.

Rigged_color.jpg

Somebody please tell me there is a simpler way to rig. I tried holmes' tut but it get jacked up in the second vid when I try to make the null for the neck.

Hi Douglas,

Telling us that things are "jacked up" does not put us in a better position to help you.

I'd like to try and help you get this right but can you be more specific about which problems you are running into right now?

I don't know anything about the Lite Rig so I'm guessing that I may be able to help you at a more fundamental level when it comes to rigging.

If you are comfortable with uploading the model file with the rig here then I can look at it and see what you have done so far.

Well I am following the Barry tutorial now. What I should have said is that the Null just disappears and I can't do any thing with it. I will download the one I had with the lite rig later when I get home.

Rigged_color.jpg

Hi Douglas,

Well I just want to be able to make a simple animation rig because I want to do a comicbook in A:M. All helpe would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Douglas,

You can create your own very simple rig. All you have to do is create bones and then assign CPs to them.

The existing rigs offer many more things, but back when I was in your position, David S. gave me the advice of trying to build my own rig first. Just so that I'd gain an understanding of how things work.

Mechadelphia has a great intro to rigging on his site you should check out.

Hey Douglas,

You can create your own very simple rig. All you have to do is create bones and then assign CPs to them.

The existing rigs offer many more things, but back when I was in your position, David S. gave me the advice of trying to build my own rig first. Just so that I'd gain an understanding of how things work.

Mechadelphia has a great intro to rigging on his site you should check out.

I shall do that. I love Barry' tuts but rig had a lot going on in it.

Well I fixed the problem with the null but now I have a new one. It seems like when I do a relationship a new window opens up like this.bonesmode_.jpg I was wondering what I was doing wrong. This also seems to mess up my bones and constraints. Here is an example of what happens. example1.jpg example2.jpg example3.jpg

example4.jpg. I hope this helps.

• Hash Fellow

The pose window becomes important if you have other poses already. It makes it possible to key other poses within the current pose.

Aside from being there is it doing something odd? You can make it smaller if it's taking up space.

The pose window becomes important if you have other poses already. It makes it possible to key other poses within the current pose.

Aside from being there is it doing something odd? You can make it smaller if it's taking up space.

I will try it when I get home.