Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sculptris to Hash

detbear

Step_007.jpgStep_016.jpg

You guys may have seen my recent post of the fan art model I did. I wanted to test out sculptris with Hash and how well the

obj export from it would work in Hash's "Retopo/ snap to surface feature."

Since I'm new to sculptris and 3D sculpting in general I was hoping to get the basic shape of Dirk the Daring's head fairly close.

I knew that the spline modeling in A:M would work much lighter and smoother. However, I like the way sculptris allows me to

get the overall shape. Attached is a video of the progression both in sculptris and then on into hash for conversion to a spline

copy based on the obj.

The body was all done in Hash.

Model_Steps_Sculptris_to_Hash.mov

Cheers,

William

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.

William....Those zbrush tools are really cool. Sculptris seemed like a good place to start for me with

sculpting in 3D since it's a free app. Hopefully one of these days I can add ZB into my budget.

I have to admit that my first impression and experience with 3D sculpting has been really exciting.

It has a really good artistic feel to it. Since I'm not experienced in rigging on other Apps, I just wanted to

bring it back into A:M to see how that workflow felt.

William is also right......the retopo was not easy. But it actually works fairly well. I've found from using A:M's

"snap to surface" tool on this and several other projects that it is a good tool. We all have a wish list of things

that would make A:M import polygon models more conveniently, but this is a good backup process if a project

requires that you duplicate a model into Animation Master.

I've started on this path myself but use the sculpt tools in blender instead. Interestingly, the current 'fad' appears to be to sculpt the model first then retopology over the top. I must admit that sculpting models to reference images appears to be much easier and produce a better result that building the model in patches from scratch.... It's just a matter to getting used to the scultping tools :)

Cheers

Hey David,

I feel the same way as far as sculpting. From what some people told me,

the sculpting thing was a very odd and strange departure from the traditional

modeling techniques.

Because of this, I anticipated getting frustrated with Sculptris. But after a bit of

trying the tools out, it actually feels really fluent to me. I have to use the old "Undo"

a bunch through :)

Nicely Done! That retopo looks like it was a lot of work, but it turned out great!

Have you seen the new Zremesher in Zbrush 4.6? http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?178984

Hi Will,

impressive, IF it really works like that. There are many polygone-decrease-algorithms out there and most are not very helpful.

One of the good once seems to be the one from 3dCoat (AutoRetopology) and now maybe Zbrush has a good one too.

I'll look out for those... would be very helpful for some stuff.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin
I love Richard Williams's 'Dirk the Daring' from Dragons Lair!

Or Don Bluth as the case may be. :)

William, your Dirk model is about 100 times better than the one I attempted a year or two ago.

Very nice!

Hey Rodney,

You modeled Dirk? I must've missed that one. Wish I would have known that. I would have asked you

about it. I'd love to see your version. I'm sure it was awesome.

I have to keep myself in check because I tend to be a "Splineaholic." I always have more splines than

necessary.

One of these days, I'd like to recreate one of the Dragon's Lair scenes in 3D just for fun. Maybe one of the simple

ones that don't have a bunch of detail. That would be a fun project.

I Agree JB...... It isn't as intimidating as I was expecting. It's actually fun to work with.

It exports a really nice Obj that works well with Hash. I like that Sculptris keeps the toolset fairly

simple. It's a form of Z brush in a way but keeps the toolset condensed.

PLUS....it allows sculpting to work into A:M really well.

Animation Master is such good software....I was excited to be able to sculpt and bring it into Hash.

Part of the Pixologic plan with sculptris seems to be aimed at allowing people to test out 3D sculpting to see if it's a

good fit for their art.

Will,

That's really cool. I have a question about your A:M export to Sculptris. When you export an obj from Hash into

Sculptris, what settings do you use. My obj's into sculptris from Hash have gaps between the poly's. This becomes

apparent when I try to push/ pull on it within sculptris.

not sure...sounds like the vertices are not welded. I have Zbrush, so I would use that to modify an .obj from Hash, since you can use dynamesh to rebuild and it would fix that.

I'm going to have to set aside some time to learn these new tools and really get the most out of them

I've been using 3d coat for sculping, had some stability issues with Sculptris and that kept me from diving into Zbrush. Looks like the retopo tools in Zbrush are similar to 3d coat. I do have the latest version of Blender and have been quite adept at deleting the default cube, starting a project then quitting out without saving because the interface annoys me to the point of wanting bounce my computer off the wall.

You can decimate most high density models in simple programs like Ultimate Unwrap 3d so it might be easier to sculpt the model, export out an stl then decimate it and use it as a ref object in AM.

If by a long shot the retopo comes in clean and all quads it is possible to convert that to AM splines right off. Though I never had super success with that and by the time your done untangling the spaghetti of splines you might as well just retopo it in AM.

Nice work