Hash, Inc. Forums

Blockheads

• Hash Fellow
... Thanks too, for your kind offer of looking at the offending file. much appreciated. Rather than take up your time with it I'd like to find out how to do it if that was possible ?

I would make a video out of it so you and other people could see what to look for and what to fix.

If you could send me the problem version and the last version that didn't have the problem that would help make hunting easier.

Make it a PRJ with the models embedded.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Thanks too, for your kind offer of looking at the offending file. much appreciated. Rather than take up your time with it I'd like to find out how to do it if that was possible ?

I would make a video out of it so you and other people could see what to look for and what to fix.

If you could send me the problem version and the last version that didn't have the problem that would help make hunting easier.

Make it a PRJ with the models embedded.

Robert

Thank you for your help once more.

Here is the project file saved with all the relevant bits embedded, a bit embarrassing as it still in progress.

The version of the chor marked T2J is the most recent and was done after the version with the wayward bone relationship, "Seesaw Jump T2G".

Its on the RB 17 figure and the right foot controller has become a child of the right elbow FK.

There are other problems but they are down to operator error rather than a bug in the interface.

regards

simon

_Wayward.prj

T2G doesn't have a bone that is indented under another bone. It has no keys but i presume you deleted them.

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

Just had a quick look. The keys are all still there, they have been transferred to the Elbow FK ( channel ? ). I hadn't set any keys, that I can recall, for the Elbow FK. If you scroll through it in the chor, the right leg trails behind the rest of the figure. Slightly forlornly, I'd hoped it may just have done it from the point of 'contact' but, no, it corrupted it right from the start.

regards

simon

Wayward.png

Ps

Amusing to note 8 people downloaded the wonky project so far, none for the movie it made ...

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks brief, still in progress. Just spotted the framing error in top right corner for a start !

The detail on Winona's ( blue figure ) face is yet to arrive and the hands on the swing section of Ray ( red figure ) still need adjusting .This is mainly concerned with timing and movement.

Any critical feedback very welcome.

simon

swing.mov

• Hash Fellow

Hi Simon,

One thing about walks.... the hips (and the body above them) should not halt their forward motion at every new step. No one can walk like that for more than a step or two. It's a very strange and unnatural look to do that.

The hips sail forward through space as the person walks very close to constant forward velocity. Yes, there is up and down motion, but it has no effect on the forward motion.

Curve editing is the way to diagnose and fix that. It's not hard and it has to be done.

On the swing... they don't have the feeling of a pendulum swinging back and forth, every single peak needs to be slow-in and slow-out and every low point in the middle will be their fastest motion.

Curve editing again. Trying to do that with just keyframing will be exceedingly tedious.

The hop off the swing is successful but you've got him landing too far forward over his feet. He can't lean that far forward and then recover back to a stand from that.

Small point... When the blue character has stopped swinging and leans her torso forward her hips ought to move back a bit in reaction. If she were sitting on a solid chair the hips might stay put but on that freely moving swing seat there's no way all that torso mass can move without some reaction.

I'm not sure why she fell off the seat. What was she trying to do?

One thing about walks.... the hips (and the body above them) should not halt their forward motion at every new step. No one can walk like that for more than a step or two. It's a very strange and unnatural look to do that.

Curve editing again. Trying to do that with just keyframing will be exceedingly tedious.

I'm not sure why she fell off the seat. What was she trying to do?

Robert

Thank you again for your help.

I will try to address the curves over the next couple of days. I've been putting it off a bit to be honest because not sure which curve to edit and the effect it has. Have started to use linear interpolation on the foot controllers at strategic points to avoid slippage but, will have to bite the bullet now.

The idea was partly in response to Rodney's comment about two figures moving in opposition. He dumps her, she slows down as she reacts, then falls forward onto her hands in sadness, overbalances and slips off, as he walks away. Have added a couple of head turns towards each other since that render, but will try to sort that after having a bash at the curves later today.

regards

simon

Hi Simon just wanted to say;

"Be not afraid of the curve editor. The curve editor is your friend!"

I must say that I actually quite enjoy messing around in there tweaking things! And if an animation is to have any subtlety, that's where it needs to be done.

If Robert hasn't already pointed you to it he has a short intro to using the curve editor on his page called 'Channel Bias Editing' here: http://www.brilliantisland.com/am/amtutorials.htm

Also Barry Zundel has a series of vids on animating, all worth watching, one of which follows him adjusting his animation using the curve editor.

Hi Simon just wanted to say;

"Be not afraid of the curve editor. The curve editor is your friend!"

I must say that I actually quite enjoy messing around in there tweaking things! And if an animation is to have any subtlety, that's where it needs to be done.

If Robert hasn't already pointed you to it he has a short intro to using the curve editor on his page called 'Channel Bias Editing' here: http://www.brilliantisland.com/am/amtutorials.htm

Also Barry Zundel has a series of vids on animating, all worth watching, one of which follows him adjusting his animation using the curve editor.

Mark

Thank you for your suggestions. I shall follow them up this evening. I find the curve editor a bit daunting, in the same way I found using a text editor to look at at prj file daunting.There is so much information and its not clear what it all relates to. Robert made a tutorial on that which helped so I will have a go at the curves. too.

I have the Jeff Lew DVD and he deals with curves on that, its finding the time to watch and digest that's the problem. I've got to get the house sorted out before going on holiday next week, although that could just be me making excuses !

regards

Simon

• Admin
I find the curve editor a bit daunting,

Something that helped me (with the curve editor as well as many other things) is learning to setup and test simple projects first.

Isolation is the key to reducing complexity/variation; 'Eat that elephant one bite at a time, don't try to swallow it whole'.

It is considerably more difficult to analyze a curve editor full of lots of things moving than it is one solitary object.

Then through testing of each variable one at a time (or in simple combinations) it is easier to interpret the results.

I believe Robert hit upon this element of isolation in his video.

I find the curve editor a bit daunting,

Something that helped me (with the curve editor as well as many other things) is learning to setup and test simple projects first.

Isolation is the key to reducing complexity/variation; 'Eat that elephant one bite at a time, don't try to swallow it whole'.

It is considerably more difficult to analyze a curve editor full of lots of things moving than it is one solitary object.

Then through testing of each variable one at a time (or in simple combinations) it is easier to interpret the results.

I believe Robert hit upon this element of isolation in his video.

Rodney

Thank you for your reply. I haven't had a chance to look at it properly tonight as I'm trying to set up a new computer and co ordinate the cables so it doesn't look like a wrestling nest of vipers...

I thought what I might try is to just use the swing and start with the main pivot then work out to the other links in the bones chain ?

The vipers are a bit calmer now so, I'll get onto it tomorrow.

regards

simon

After encouragement from Robert, Mark and Rodney, and watching Robert's video, thought it best to have a go at editing curves.

This is the starting point, using the spacing suggestions in the Richard Williams book. No editing of the curves

swinging_001.mov

This is the second.

Same motion but with keyframes deleted and keys shifted in the graph for a smother curve shape. No editing of the bias handles.

swinging_002.mov

This is the third

Same motion and key positions as two but the curve shapes have been edited with the bias handles.

swinging_003.mov

This is the fourth

Only three key positions,. The two extremes and the mid position. The curves were edited with the bias handles

swinging_004.mov

This is the project if anyone wants to play with it ?

Swinging.prj

Its taken me a while to get used to the X,Y,Z coordinates but, what is the rotation around W that appears in the graph editor, white line ?

regards

simon

• Admin

Nicely done Simon.

Breaking things down to that level is going to layer in mastery that will pay off big dividends for you.

Aside: The one thing that would really help in these sequences would be a frame number posted on each frame as the animation runs through.

I will admit that A:M's current Frameburn Post Effect isn't quite what it could be. Perhaps we can develop an overlay that A:M users could use in lieu of that.

If you just want to add the frame numbers/timecode via Post Effect here would be the steps:

1. Right Click on Post Effect container in the Project Workspace

2. Select "New Post Effect"

3. Right Click on the newly created Post Effect and "Change Type" to Frame Burn.

4. Drag and Drop the Frame Burn Post Effect onto your Camera in the Choreography.

Now when the sequence is rendered each frame will have a time stamp.

A few variation can be made in the Properties of the Post Effect such as the size of the numbers.

I've been meaning to create some overlays for this purpose for years now...

what is the rotation around W that appears in the graph editor, white line ?

The W channel (white channel) is an element of Quaternion intropolation of object's moving in space.

Would you believe... surprise... surprise... Robert has a video (or two) on Quaternions too! :)

6G_BiSHXeFs

Rodney

Thank you for your reply and help.

I didn't know that Frame burn was an option that will be a big help.

However, I tried it on the project posted yesterday, ( done in V17g ) and it crashed the program three successive times.

Is this a known bug , Might it be a Mac OSX glitch ?

regards

simon

Ps

Just tried it with a different post effect, Tint, and it to crashed the program.

Will try some others later.

How strange?

I just tried your swing project you posted yesterday with Frame Burn applied and all went well. As it dose with my own projects.

I would note though that after Rodney's step 4 there is a step 5!

Where you set this next bit depends on your 'Render To File' preference settings.

If your 'Render To File' has been set to use the camera settings then do this;

After dragging the effect onto the camera in the Choreography you need to open the properties triangle for it (we'er still in the Choreography here) and go to; 'Output Options' > 'Buffers' > 'Apply camera's PostEffects to renderings'.

If they have been set to use the 'Render To File' dialog window itself, then you can do it under the 'Output' tab > 'Buffers' > 'Apply camera's PostEffects to renderings'.

If you look very closely at the attached you will see the frame number is put into the top right corner of the frame.

swingFRAMEBURNTEST_5.tga

• Admin

Thanks Mark for the additional Step 5.

There is more than one reason why I've wanted to create a simple frame counter overlay to bypass the Post Effect counter... ;)

I miss the days when we could just turn it on in the render panel.

Between being fairly complicated to implement and not very customizable the current implementation is lacking as a basic tool for animators.

When analyzing animation it is vitally important to know what frame you are on.

Mark and Rodney

Thank you for your help.

I think I must be misunderstanding because the problem is still occurring?

This is a composite of the settings used.

I wondered if it might be because Mark rendered to TGA files rather than mov ?

So tried that and it seemed to render the sequence but without the frame count in the top corner. It rendered the name of the sequence but did not change the count of the frames as they went through. Which is what I was expecting.

Its set to smtp in the tools might that be a factor ?

I will try that again .

regards

simon

Settings.png

Hi Simon,

Having just read your last post I tried rendering to .mov with a post effect and yes like your's A:M here crashes every time. So that's probably a bug!

However its easily avoided by rendering to an image sequence instead. I always, always render to an image sequence as its safer and can be more flexible later.

As for your sequence not showing the frame count but only the title when using Frame Burn, I can't explain that, sorry! Maybe restart the computer, it's maybe one of those strange temporary problems that a restart fixes...

If I may ask a question here as well, dose any one know if its possible to set different font sizes for Frame Burn? It is really tiny!

I've expanded all the property triangles I could see and right clicked on every thing they showed but see no parameters to change it.

If I may ask a question here as well, dose any one know if its possible to set different font sizes for Frame Burn? It is really tiny!

I've expanded all the property triangles I could see and right clicked on every thing they showed but see no parameters to change it.

There is a font scale property for the frame burn post effect (currently set to 100%)

changefontscale.jpg

Hi Simon,

Having just read your last post I tried rendering to .mov with a post effect and yes like your's A:M here crashes every time. So that's probably a bug!

However its easily avoided by rendering to an image sequence instead. I always, always render to an image sequence as its safer and can be more flexible later.

As for your sequence not showing the frame count but only the title when using Frame Burn, I can't explain that, sorry! Maybe restart the computer, it's maybe one of those strange temporary problems that a restart fixes...

Mark

Thank you for your help.

I tried your suggestion and it worked. Here is the file with the frame numbers on.

swinging4.mov

Normally I render to single frames myself, as it can be a bit aggravating if a power cut happens or something else intervenes on a log render. Because these were only taking 10 mins or less it seemed a worthy short cut...

regards

simon

There is a font scale property for the frame burn post effect (currently set to 100%)

Thanks for the screen shot Nancy but my Mac seems to be missing that option :(

Me thinks a bug report is in order!

Screen_Shot_2013_09_14_at_01.18.35.png

Hi Simon,

Mark

Thank you for your help.

I tried your suggestion and it worked. Here is the file with the frame numbers on.

swinging4.mov

Normally I render to single frames myself, as it can be a bit aggravating if a power cut happens or something else intervenes on a log render. Because these were only taking 10 mins or less it seemed a worthy short cut...

regards

simon

YAY :yay:

Well you know what they say, "short cuts can make for long delays!"

Yup this is a weird bug, & I could make it happen on my PC (17g/32)...but there is a work-around.

Uncheck "show property triangle" in tools/options/global for the scale to show up. But first delete the one you created when show property triangle was checked.

You will most likely have to recreate the frameburn post effect for it to show up (17g PC) -

Also- In my QT player I can change the time display to show the frame number (from standard), by clicking on it - perhaps that's not available in your QT player? and/or perhaps I have an old player?

EDIT: Forgot to say - the swinging looks good! Just a little stiff in the chains. Maybe some lag, or dynamic constraint could help loosen the chains up?

UNCHECKpropertytriangle.jpg

frameNumbersQTplayer.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Yup this is a weird bug, & I could make it happen on my PC (17g/32)...but there is a work-around.

Uncheck "show property triangle" in tools/options/global for the scale to show up. But first delete the one you created when show property triangle was checked.

You will most likely have to recreate the frameburn post effect for it to show up (17g PC) -

Also- In my QT player I can change the time display to show the frame number (from standard), by clicking on it - perhaps that's not available in your QT player? and/or perhaps I have an old player?

EDIT: Forgot to say - the swinging looks good! Just a little stiff in the chains. Maybe some lag, or dynamic constraint could help loosen the chains up?

How on earth did you figure that out Nancy :blink: !

I must confess I've never really needed to use Frame Burn myself and like you if I've needed to know a precise frame I've always used the frame counter in whatever editor/player I happen to be using. But its nice to know A:M has this function should anyone need it.

As for QT 7 Pro I think both Mac and Windows versions still have the same features as each other. I don't think Apple have updated it in a very long time or plan to.

[...

Nancy

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't know you could do that in QT? Will have a look later. the default gives the second and I used to count on from there using the curser keys.

The swinging files were only done adjusting the curves on the central pivot point, so I didn't get bogged down chasing all the other parameters. Having got a slightly better idea of whats involved I will try to adjust the curves in the original today then get onto the walking figure. There was some secondary movement in the chains on the original but it may not have been apparent from that camera angle.

This is a side view of that with a head turn added at the beginning.

Haven't recorded it yet but the dialogue may be,

"So. What ... '?

"It's over."

regards

simon

Swing_One.mov

How on earth did you figure that out Nancy :blink: !

uhhh...ummmm...uh...Nope. I don't think I really did figure it out (above) because I just noticed that the screen capture I posted above, was not showing the properties for the frameburn post effect...just for some unnamed post effect ....so I tried again to recreate the problem in 17g:

Seems like with 'show property triangle' checked: the font scale property does not immediately show up (in the property panel or PWS) for the frame burn post effect. It shows up only after I expand the property triangle in the PWS, then it appears in the property panel and in the PWS. I think it was a matter of screen refresh/redraw for my PC

The swinging files were only done adjusting the curves on the central pivot point, so I didn't get bogged down chasing all the other parameters. Having got a slightly better idea of whats involved I will try to adjust the curves in the original today then get onto the walking figure.

Good approach! Start simple.

Revised version of Winona swinging.

No curve changes on the figure, only on the swing. Not happy with the final chain movements but still working out how to do that.

Will have to redo the hand placements too as the curve changes have altered the positions they were pointing to.

Hey ho !

simon

Swing_One.mov

I like how that's looking Simon.

Looks like she really is putting in the energy to make the swing move.

The movement of the seat towards the end bothers me though. It jumps away from her with more energy than can be explained by her just slipping off. Maybe if it didn't move out so far before returning to hit her would look more natural?

I like how that's looking Simon.

Looks like she really is putting in the energy to make the swing move.

The movement of the seat towards the end bothers me though. It jumps away from her with more energy than can be explained by her just slipping off. Maybe if it didn't move out so far before returning to hit her would look more natural?

Mark

Thank you for your reply and feedback. I had wondered about that. Originally it was even bigger, as were the second and third 'hits' when it swung back. Will scale it back again later today.

regards

simon

Today's revisions.

This is a side view rather than the original camera angle because the movements are more apparent in it.

Following Mark's suggestions the last chain and seat movements have been modified. ( did spot some seat /mesh penetration, just as the render finished, and that has now been corrected - honest ! ).

Ray's walk away has been completely redone although there's not a lot of it in this camera view. I will render the original view so the differences are more apparent.

Any critical feedback welcome

regards

simon

Just noticed

Didn't frame burn this one.

Apologies.

View One.

Noticed hand misplacings, Damn !!!

View_One.mov

Swing_One.mov

• Hash Fellow

Sorry i haven't been keeping up with this. I'm looking at the most recent version...

-His walk away is still halting on every step. That doesn't' look right. Tell me why you are doing that.

-Some of the swings look just about right, but then there's a few interspersed in there that break the flow because they have some odd hitch to them.

-When she falls off the swing seat her butt should whack into the ground, BONK!, not ease into place. If you were doing sound some little sound element there that said butt-meeting-the-dirt might help.

-I'm looking at the way they start their swinging motion... It should be almost like a jumping motion. The legs push to accelerate them from the starting point and their fastest moment of speed is when their legs are fully extended at teh end of the push ... then they decelerate after their feet loose contact with the ground. They ease into the peak of the swing then accelerate down into the bottom of the swing... and so on. I don't get the feel of that mass in movement from watching them.

-One practical problem with his odd walk is that it is distracting me from the acting that she is doing at the same time. I didn't catch it on the first tow views. This is a "Staging " problem. In a movie where everything needs to be clear and nothing wasted i think they would find a way to not be showing him while she is doing her acting.

-This is a very complicated scene you are attempting here. Don't be discouraged that it is not perfect.

Robert

Thank you once again for your reply and helpful observations. Much appreciated.

I think the problem with the walk (?) is because I had used linear as the interpolation setting for the foot controllers ar regular point to try and avoid foot slippage.

I've redone the walk today ( anything to avoid housework ) and hope it has addressed that problem. I confess to not seeing it clearly at the moment and need to come back to it refreshed later.

I went back into her falling off the swing and made the bump down more sudden and will post that later.

This is a clearer version of the walk.

regards

simon

Ray_Walk.mov

Still avoiding the domestic duties,

here's a render of Winona's movements, with revised bump down,

Winona.mov

• 3 weeks later...

http://theatrium.org.uk/shorts/

This was posted on a Facebook group for film makers in East Anglia. May be of interest to others ?

It prompted me to find this.

This is a VGA conversion of a 1080HD original. It was the subject of a different thread but fits in with the briefs theme here, and is telling me to get on with the next brief.

simon

Boo.mov

First pass at this weeks brief.

Don't like the first hop so about to change that. Needs fingers and face work yet.

Any feedback welcome.

simon

Dance.mov

It wasn't roto'd ( as the timing was different ) but,

these were the reference moves.

Dance_reference.mov

Pass Two

Hand and face moves added.

Still to work on hop one.

Dance_2.mov

good start. animating a dance is one of the hardest things to do. i´ve tried it several times and always gave up at some point. maybe i will try again soon ;)

i´ve noticed that the reference footage has much broader movements than your animation, since your character is a cartoon character, i´d suggest to even go further, to exaggerate the movements beyond the reference footage. try to find significant key poses and see how far you can push it.

I agree with Sebastian.

Main observations: I notice that your characters shoulders aren't moving as much (as high) as the reference, and the angle of entire body line, leg line, arm lines (especially when he extends one leg) is also not as pronounced.

I would suggest you take each reference pose (that you choose) and try to fully recreate until mostly perfect, before working on the timing, spacing between them. That is the way Keith Lango would probably suggest. Perhaps taking the reference pose still and drawing the line of action on the body, legs, arms, etc before posing your character might help?

(BTW, I love the reference video, and would love to give it a try myself, but am leary that I might be stepping on your toes again, since I already stole your reference video of the hand spring to try with my character captn Crazy Pants)

Nancy and Sebastian

Thank you very much for your replies and help.

I will give it a go. Exaggeration is not a strength of mine but you can only find out how far by going too far...

Will start tomorrow.

Nancy. If you want to use the footage please do. The bit I posted earlier was only the part at the end. I looked at that, though not close enough, and it was mainly the explanation at the beginning that was used because of the different timing. This was the full piece. It was you that gave me the link to clip convertor so, I'm obliged to you for that. Theres a section in Napoleon Dynamite were the John Hayder (?) character does a dance routine. That would be a great reference piece, but I don't think it would be me doing it !

regards

simon

Easy_Break_Dancing_Moves.mov

Thanks Simon - that 2nd reference video (whole thing) is a gem!

It's great how he explains the moves, and then to see how his personal dance style sneaks in there when he puts it together. Wonderful!

Nancy

When you did your Ida and Lothario dance ( pardon me if I mis remember their names ). Did you use IK or FK for the figures or was it a combination of both?

I'm not at all familiar with changing between modes and tend to stick to one or the other.

regards

simon

• Admin

I agree with Sebastian on the need for exaggeration... there is serious exaggeration in that last video reference and that is from a real life flesh and blood human. An animated character will need even more exaggeration for their movement.

Note also that the camera is looking downward in the reference video (we can see that more from the angle of the walls than from the man himself).

If your final animation has a similar view (rather than a straight on shot) I'm sure more of the character's motion and personality will be in view.

I don't think we are getting a clear view of your animation from the currently rendered/straight ahead view.

I agree with Sebastian on the need for exaggeration... there is serious exaggeration in that last video reference and that is from a real life flesh and blood human. An animated character will need even more exaggeration for their movement.

Note also that the camera is looking downward in the reference video (we can see that more from the angle of the walls than from the man himself).

If your final animation has a similar view (rather than a straight on shot) I'm sure more of the character's motion and personality will be in view.

I don't think we are getting a clear view of your animation from the currently rendered/straight ahead view.

Rodney

Thank you for your reply and help. I've started another, longer, version but, in the meantime here is the camera view, rather than the front view.

regards

simon

Dance3.mov