Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Computer Shopping

Darkwing

So I've decided to go with a custom built computer (once I have the money of course). Where I've never done any custom building before (luckily I have a friend who has) I was hoping some of you kind folk would be willig to take a look at my shopping list and give me some pointers, alternative parts etc. I haven't yet chosen a power supply and the case I think may be unnecessarily large, but I am going for something that will be durable and hopefully expandable at later dates should I choose. Currently this is all from newegg and I haven't shopped around other places to see if certain parts are cheaper elsewhere (or even in a physical store like Futureshop that's nearby). Currently the machine is running at $1400 CAN.

post-9859-1371519426_thumb.png

post-9859-1371519438_thumb.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have built a number of rigs myself ---and see you are shopping the egg....always a good move. Have no big troubles with any of what you have included here -- i might try and go for slightly bigger sdd drive as by the time you load up either windows 7 or eight (which i do not see in your list yet .....I'm guessing your not doing linux (an if it was me I would get 7)) its not that big. and what you have will work fine but 3d folks like those things especially and well you know bigger is better.

Also without a doubt your case is super premuim. You do not need to spend that much ---that case would support like a couple of high end graphic cards and cpu's plus a bunch of drives ---its awesome but a little much for what you are currently putting in there. You have a medium power gpu, one cpu , 1 hd , 1 sdd ,1 blue ray and 16 gb memory---not going to cook up too much heat.

I am a big fan of antec cases and if it was me I would downgrade to the Antec 900 --- its awesome too and you save some $. On power supplies I have had much luck with Antec as well but have used corsairs too with much success. I would look for 600 -700 watts for what you are using here ----do not skimp on the power supply it really makes a difference in the long run.

Im excited man ---nothing like building a new rig. Enjoy!!

Haha thanks! In my little dream world I'd like to have 2 graphics cards, but it may be at a later date that I'd get the second. Even with that in mind, is a mid-ATX a better case or should I still go even lower?

EDIT: Updated parts list. Total is now $1498 (mainly because I added Windows in there)

post-9859-1371524220_thumb.png

post-9859-1371524226_thumb.png

to me ---size of case is inportant but fans are more important in my book. . So acase with more or bigger fans is the way I like to go as to a bigger box . It is easier however working with a bigger case too so that might be a consideration. Really the gpu you selected will be very nice for most games unless you are trying to play on maxed out settings all the time. I would go with one better card then two mediums anyhow if thats where you are headed. but I think you should be very happy with that 660 for most games --smiles

Well the Antec Nine Hundred has a top mounted 200mm fan along with 2 front 120mm fans and one rear 120mm fan. Is that adequate do you think? Also, this here is the motherboard I currently have selected: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16813131820

It says it is simply "ATX" so that fits into a Mid-ATX case, right? Cause I don't recall seeing any cases labelled as just "ATX"

• Hash Fellow

One caution... there are "half-height" cards that will not fit a case intended for full height cards and vice versa. "height" is the distance the graphics or PCI card extends above its socket.

A half-height card could fit in a full height slot if it had a full-height blade on the end of it but i don't know if they typically supply both with half-height cards.

• Hash Fellow
I don't see anything indicating that this is a half height card.

Physical Spec

Form Factor

ATX

Dimensions

12.0" x 9.6"

Power Pin

24 Pin

The mother board is flat and doesn't care how wide the case is. The expansion cards (graphics, other PCI cards) stick out from the motherboard. They do care how wide the case is.

Don't get a case made for half-height cards if you are buying full-height cards.

The cases are sometimes called "low profile" if they are made for half height cards. I think most micro-ATX cases are made for low-profile cards.

This is an issue that doesn't exist in laptops because they don't have expansion cards.

• Hash Fellow
I gotcha! This is the case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811129021

And this is what it says under motherboard:

Motherboard Compatibility ATX / m-ATX

So that should in theory match what I've selected for a motherboard I believe.

$109 for a case that doesn't even have a power supply? That's too much.

Well part of it is cause it has a window (which I guess makes cases more expensive) and it's made of steel vs plastic and it's Canada. Everything's more expensive here. I mean there are lower quality ones for like 80 dollars but I do want something that's decent (and a bit stylish ;) )

EDIT: There are cheaper steel ones I guess, like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811129042

However it lacks the window, the cool blue LED trims and is somewhat smaller

EDIT2: Here's a pic of the expensive case: Antec_900.jpg

-----Um......I have to disagree with the robert on the case ..... this case has 1 200mm fan and 3 120 mm fans included ---price out those alone and you will change your mind about the price. You will not find that kind of fan array in much lower price cases. An being Antec is going to be pretty nice in the fit and finish department.

darkwing ---just search all the comments for the antec 900 and I am sure someone has used your mobo. In fact I usually try and find someone who I can match compatibilty before I buy anything. So its good to search the mobo comments for your memory too etc . As long as someone has had success with the combo your good to go.

and just to be clear you can go lower on a case --as I said you are not putting in there too much to cause overheating. But try and find one at least with two 120 mm fans if you want to shop lower.

So I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy a couple of the components, probably the processor and motherboard. Nobody has any last minute qualms over my selection do they (that haven't been mentioned before that is)?

EDIT: Regarding the case, reviews are generally positive however there is a common trend in that they say cable management is difficult, a larger graphics card will run into the drive bays and you have to take pliers to bend the SATA cables at a near 90 degree angle to get them to fit.

EDIT 2: Hmmmm, now I'm not so sure about that motherboard as well. I feel like looking through mobos is like picking your poison in some sense :P

Believe it or not I've actually ran some of my computers without a case :)

I just slap the motherboard down on a desktop, hook it up, and then short the power prongs to boot it up LOL....the good old days.

At any rate, you seem to have a solid system there. If I recall you mentioned your laptop is dying? If this is the case save yourself some money and pull the harddrive out of it and use it. It should use a SATA plug which will hook straight to the new motherboard. Then it's simply a matter of your windows installation finding the drivers for the new board (which windows 7 does pretty well)

Just a suggestion....

Well I'm looking into other cases currently mainly because of the cable and GFX card situation. I guess my motherboard has a similar problem regarding the angle of the SATA cables.

Contenders for the case:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811119197

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811139008 <--strong contender

I would say not so many fans. My current case simply has one LARGE, and I mean LARGE, fan on the side. It pulls all the heat out. And I think it only ran me about 60 bucks on newegg. Its a Chakara brand. Kind of cheap but big enough that I've expanded 3 times and still have room still. So it a nut shell, you don't need a ton of fans.

This will be my next case : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811146067

And just to point out the obvious... a case is just a case. It has one function, hold all the crap that makes a computer a computer. At the end of the day if you can use your computer and it keeps things cool, who cares what it looks like or the name on the front.

Well I'm looking into other cases currently mainly because of the cable and GFX card situation. I guess my motherboard has a similar problem regarding the angle of the SATA cables.

Contenders for the case:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811119197

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811139008

That strong contender is the same case my uncle is using and he loves it. Its a pretty solid case with lots of options.

In the end Lloyd is kind of right about cases ----they hold stuff together safely and keep the stuff running cool. Or at least that's the goal. Cool means longer life for computer parts so nothing to be trivial about.

And isn't it just so much fun ordering parts and watching your future computer arrive in waves of seperate shipments of various parts. Smiles.

Here's a case that I've built a few times. Once for myself and a few other times for clients:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_inf...;item_id=032358

It's a great case for many reasons:

Cable Management +++

Cooling +++

Overall Option ++

Only has 1 USB 3.0 in the front, which is driven from the rear panel (Only thing I don't like about this case)

Honestly, it's probably one of the best cases I've worked with and I've built a lot of them (I'm a Computer Systems Technician)...