Hash, Inc. Forums

Hiking for Health in Rotoscopo Ville

NancyGormezano

I've joined a rabid bunch of hikers ... not just any rabid bunch ... but a rabid bunch of OLD hikers, who go every week to some park, preserve, etc usually within an hours drive of the San Francisco Bay area. We usually go 5-8 miles, with varying degrees of elevation change. The oldest member is 85, and finishes the fastest and goes the longest! He also has quite the harem of ladies trying to keep up with him. Cracks me up.

So, I've been getting into taking photos of these wonderful areas, and of course, ...uh...doing some major manipulation. Somehow, the colors are just never what I remember, nor want to have seen, so of course they needed tweaking!

These (last hike) were taken on a foggy day at the beach (we stayed cool, the rest of bay area fried). I decided to render some of my characters with A:M using some of the more uninteresting photos as backgrounds.

It was good to play some in A:M again.

The last photo (no A:M) shows the area (McNee Ranch State Park), south of Pacifica, viewing the town of Montara.

AND To be even more obnoxious, I've also purchased a GPS wrist device, so that I can record my every twist & turn, lunch & bathroom breaks, then upload the data to google earth. A data junkies work is never done.

01RuzzleFlowersPoisonOak0.jpg

02LotharioNummi.jpg

03TwoBenchesPigRaggy.jpg

04MousePathfence.jpg

05lionNummiRuzzleBalloonPaintedBeach0.jpg

06MontaraMustard.jpg

07googleearth.jpg

Thanks people !

(I've been away for last week, eastern side of Yosemite for more hiking in more fabulous places)

These aren't technically composites - I'm just using the background photos as camera rotoscopes (ground is front projected, flatshaded), with image based lighting, where the photo is used as a lat-long light source, 100% AI, 0% AO. Augmented with 1 klieg with z buff shadows (20% soft, maybe 50% dark shadows), and maybe sometimes some minor fill with sun light types (no shadows, varying percentages). And also some FakeAOCPU, for more shadows.

They all look good. I especially like how you were able to get a unified-color look in all the pictures.

Did you use the same image for the image based lighting in all of them or does each scene have its own

image based light photo?

Did you use the same image for the image based lighting in all of them or does each scene have its own

image based light photo?

I used a different image in each one: the same background image/photo that is used for the camera roto. That's what unifies the colors to fit the photo (to start with). And I like that the tones are more mottled with Image Based Lighting type than if one just used the average of the "photo" color (bluish, orangish, etc) for Global Ambiance Type = Global color.

For Global Ambiance Type (IBL), I start with 100% Ambiance Intensity (AI), lat-long mapping type, 0% Ambiant Occlusion (AO). The Key light, and Fill light are OFF. Only Klieg is On to start at default settings (20% intensity, color orange, with 6.25% soft shadows, 80% black color). Ground plane options: front projected, and flat shaded (so that the roto projection doesn't get illuminated or shaded by any of the lights)

Then for each render:

I play with Klieg aim direction to get the shadows sorta going in the right direction, and may up the intensity (up it to 100%). I might stay with the orange color, if I want the colors to "warm up" or else I change it to white, or some other tone. I play with the shadows settings (softness and darkness). I usually leave the color of shadows at black (since my images have black shadows, not blue). I may change the cone angle & falloff, for different shadow look.

I may or may not turn on the Fill light (45 % blue default, no shadows), and/or Key light (85% white default, no shadows) depending on what I want. I might change their angles, colors, intensity if the fill isn't what I want. I usually only need the klieg (Rim light) to supplement the IBL.

In general, however I usually end up with a more "blown out look" due to lighting, as I know I will be using FakeAOCPU post effect. FakeAO will add nice darkening in the detail of the characters to get rid of blown out highlights, and I will also play with the amount of FakeAO that gets added as well.

I will note that that there is a bug in A:M: if you want to play and change the image used for IBL (to see how it would look), you must do a toggle dance.

If you want the change to take effect then (progressive render or even final render), I have found you MUST toggle the Ambiance Occlusion (from 0% to 1% to back to 0%), for it to take effect. There is probably some other toggle one could do, but I know that one works.

Thanks for the very complete response to my post. I think I have experienced some of the issues you cited

when I tried to use IBL. It seemed the best way to make changes was just delete everything and start over.

It is hard to keep track of all the adjustments you are making yourself as you try to get the scene

to look right. But then, that is part of the charm I guess.

• 4 months later...

Here's what I just did yesterday (using A:M and rotoscope), for a MOOC (Massive Online Open Course), that I've recently started: Design 101 at iversity.com

The instructions are to not spend more than 1 hour on each homework/assignment. There is a new assignment every day (4-5/week - course ends Jan 28ish). There will be 101 assignments. We're in our 2nd week, so we'll see how many drop out, including me, as I don't know if I can keep this pace up? I think it's started with over 27000 people! But from what I understand (from wiki), usually the free MOOC's have a less than 10% completion rate.

The assignments are quite fun & inspiring, and get the creative juices, sparks going. You can use whatever tools you want usually, and most people are using natural media, materials in wonderfully creative ways. I've mostly so far been using Photoshop & Painter. But this last assignment, I used A:M and it has been getting the MOST attention yet (over 90 likes, lots of comments on the facebook design 101 forum group!) And people are interested in HOW I did it - so of course, I go-a-plugging A:M!

Remember - this was supposed to take only 1 hour, but it turned into 3 hours for me - as I used very old models I had done in 2001, and they required some fixing to work in 16b. And I took a crappy, grainy, bad color balance photo of my real desktop, which would have required retaking, and reworking in photoshop (was trying to stay in time limit, as an exercise - FAIL), and the rigs, cp assignments in these models was very primitive and WRONG.

But I had always wanted to return to my simple "paper dolls", and the assignment was to design/create a miniature 2D personal world using paper techniques (cut paper, origami, kirigami, etc) and to take a photo of it. (render time was in seconds)

010MyPaperworld.jpg

010paperworldsetup.jpg

Thanks all!

I am amazed how many people in design 101 class like my paper people...Many of them expressed interest in knowing how to do it, and then maybe trying for themselves. And of course, I will lead them down the path to here. Most of the people (1300+) who are posting on facebook in this course are from outside the US, so it makes it very, very interesting and inspiring for me to see all the cultural preferences and variety of styles. The main instructor is Italian (Stefano Mirti), but iversity is a German venture (from what I can tell).

But I missed Captain Crazy Pants out on the hike, though...:-)

Ah yes...I will get back to that, as my energy is being sparked once again (had a long dry spell). He will appear someday, along with some other characters I've been toying with...just not enough time at this point, until I design my schedule, and develop a smooth process. I've been hiking 20+ miles/week, and I only take photos on Friday hikes (and am also being distracted as I want to chat & keep up with the other hikers).

As you all know more than quite well, it takes a lot of time to 1) cull the photos- yikes - way tooooo many 2) manipulate in photoshop and then 3) add 3D A:M characters.

And now with this intense design course, I've added more diversion. However, despite what they may be trying to teach, I've made it my goal to try and integrate A:M (and Captain Crazy Pants et al) and other favorite media, with this course as much as possible, along with my own loosey-goosey, swoopy 2D style. I won't necessarily do all 101 exercises, nor do it how they suggest doing them. I suspect this course is aimed at presenting design concepts for those who are actually looking for clients/careers. AND that ain't me...I'm just PLAYING.

... perhaps you should pitch the idea! GREETING CARDS!

Thanks Matt...uhhh...b..bu...buh...that sounds like a ....gulp....JOB! Me no want no stinkin' job. I jes' do what I wanna do when I wanna do it.

This assignment for the design course was to make a shirt in 1 hour, from existing materials or start from scratch) And it is supposed to tell things about yourself because of the way it is made. Hooo hahhh.

So flashback to 1998: I had a gorgeous winter coat Vogue sewing pattern, made by designer Issey Miyake. But I didn't need a coat. So I made a kimono. With ugly, cheap, shiny fabric, painted with fabric paint, glitter glue, and stamping designs. Miyake would be horrified. I've always liked the design on the back, and so for 2013 (week 2 exercise #012) - Behold my repurposed material, transformed into suitable beach strolling attire for the lovely Miss Ida Ada Hickenlooper.

(background photo is from 9 mile hike from Mussel rock to Fort Funston along San Francisco bay area coastline)

012Isseymiyakeandme.jpg

012IdaAdaSeaside.jpg

Lovely work. She needs a sister named "Ima".

Robert: "Ima Gunna Steel" that idea, young man! Don't you know by now that you can't say those things to me?

I hadn't seen your paper figures before . They are FAB.

Have you animated them. I ask because, it might be like a job but, they would make an excellent TV idea possibly involving picture books ?

Simon: I sorta animated them. I did make animated gifs of them doing a walk cycle, which I will share if they are still on my harddrive. I might have uploaded them to the forum at one time? Ah yes, wait a minute.... they must be still on the innertubes - will hunt them down. EDIT: found 'em - As I said before, the rigs are very primitive and very wrong for animating easily.

These characters had been done in 2001 when I was volunteering at "Project Read" in San Francisco area. The project was aimed at teaching adults who had never learned to read. They would write stories and I volunteered to illustrate one of the stories for their news letter. The original story was done with a white background in B&W (for print) - but I put it on black with color for the web (jes' because I wanted to) seen here

Illustrating picture books would be fun, except when I tried that (one time only), I couldn't handle all the stupid revisions that were being suggested as a test, to see if I was worthy of the task. And I was not of course. I got the sense they were just looking for free ideas.

elewalk.gif

girafwalk.gif

hippowalk.gif

orangwalk.gif

tyronewalk2.gif

Edited by NancyGormezano

Illustrating picture books would be fun, except when I tried that (one time only), I couldn't handle all the stupid revisions that were being suggested as a test, to see if I was worthy of the task. And I was not of course. I got the sense they were just looking for free ideas.

Nancy

They are terrific. If you still have the stories it would be a fab project.

I understand your reservations re other peoples revisions. I wrote some live action and animated scripts a while back for part of a scheme and the requested changes contradicted what they originally asked for.. Hey ho.

On an slightly related subject. did you have a look at any of that guy's other dance video's on Youtube ? His other things are just as fluid and joyful.

regards

simon

On an slightly related subject. did you have a look at any of that guy's other dance video's on Youtube ? His other things are just as fluid and joyful.

I didn't get the chance to see more of his videos, and I haven't YET captured the one you did post to a QT mov. But I will at some point no doubt. Wonderful reference.

Alexander Calder did some sculptures using the same technique - not animated though!

Thanks Tore! and Ooooo - love the paper Calder image, I was not familiar with these, but have always loved his mobile sculptures of course (favorite when a little girl and would see them in MOMA in NY). Did not care so much for the video but maybe I did not give it enough time to get into it? As I am rushed right now. Thanks for the link.

I didn't get the chance to see more of his videos, and I haven't YET captured the one you did post to a QT mov. But I will at some point no doubt. Wonderful reference....

I did convert it using the clip convertor you told me about a few weeks back. I could send it if you'd like but it is 15.6 Mb so may not get through the mail?

regards

simon

I did convert it using the clip convertor you told me about a few weeks back. I could send it if you'd like but it is 15.6 Mb so may not get through the mail?

Thanks for the offer Simon. I'm not ready to do anything with it yet, and yes, the file would probably be too big for me as email attachment. I will convert the youtube later with clip converter, but if I run into problems I will come a-running! Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

I've been doodling & playing with my paper dolls. Rerigged the 2 legged man with TSM2, created new characters: woman and cat, retextured hippo, elephant, giraffe, man.

Not sure where this is going (Need some hiking backgrounds). It was good to get back into doing something with A:M

011PlayingPaperDolls.jpg

• ____ 1

Great fusion of your hobbies... 3D-hiking-photography... into something commercially viable!

Thanks...but....Mahtt...Mahtttt....Mahhhhtttttt....you should know by now...me...I have RETIREDitis ...for 19 years...I don't think there is a cure.