Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I need someone to sketch some rotos for me

fae_alba

The biggest probem I see is you seem to have translated the foot and hand. The second thing seems to be scaling problems in the hand or you did some manual translations in the fingers.

I would go over the instructions again and try another install. Before you start weighting, I can take a look at the bone positions again.

Good thing I saved multiple copies! Perhaps what I will do is post versions of the model at each major juncture of the rigging process for you to proof? Might not be tonight...first grandson is supposedly making an appearance today.... I DO NOT feel like a grandpa!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest probem I see is you seem to have translated the foot and hand. The second thing seems to be scaling problems in the hand or you did some manual translations in the fingers.

I would go over the instructions again and try another install. Before you start weighting, I can take a look at the bone positions again.

PappaBearRigged_V1.mdl

This is a backup copy of the model with the rig scaled, but perhaps not entirely positioned properly. Tried to follow the tut, but nothin sayin I didn't mess even that little bit up!

As I mentioned before, you need to start from scratch and reimport the rig and start over. It would be alot easier than trying to fix all the bones that are out of place.

I'm not sure how these bones got so far out of place. Did you by chance use the bone properties to adjust rotation?

Mack (Mechadelphia) posted a video tut on installing the rig located here.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so attempt number two. I had the whole right side so that it felt good to me. Weighting done, etc. Ran the mirror bones and it only sort of worked. It left some cp's unassigned (all of the left toes, cp rings around the left elbow) and it didn't add the left foot null. I've attached the version of the model just prior to running the mirror bones wizard. Any guidance would be appreciated.

mirrorBoneResult.jpg

PappaBearRigged_V3t11.mdl

I centered the center bones on the "X" axis, deleted the left half of the body, centered the center spline, CFA'd the right half of the body and ran the MirrorBones plugin with the tolerances set to .3 (I think it would have worked set lower). It appeared to work fine. I didn't go through and check any of the rest of the rig, so I don't know if everything is where it is supposed to be, but, I think I can safely say that the problem is probably either or both of the things I changed. I didn't fix the groups, so that needs to be done.

Hope that helps, Paul.

PappaBearRigged_V3t11_updated.mdl

• 3 weeks later...

Well then

It's been awhile since I updated this but low and behold I have, finally, something to show. There is still a lot of rigging work to do on the head, but PappaBear is nearing the point where I can move from the modeling phase and into story telling. I wanted to put a sim cloth shirt on him, and worked for a bit on that, but the sim went wacky, and honestly I came to the conclusion that simcloth posed more overhead in modeling and rendering than what I am intending to do with the character. So I modeled a shirt, and perhaps I'll add some dynamics to it with a rig, but for now, it is a simple mesh. I don't really like the decaling and how it stretches on the sides, and will need to do something about it, but for now, here it is...

tr_front0.jpg

tr_side.jpg

So I tried sim cloth, didn't like the results so much and the effort required. Since I plan on Pappa Bear being in a series of shorts I need to streamline the animation rendering process. So I went the dynamic constraint route and added a bone chain to each edge of the open shirt. Below is a first pass test using all default values. Looks passable, though I think I'll be damping it down a bit more, then I have to look into collisions with the body mesh.

shirt_test.mov