Hash, Inc. Forums

toon test

Looks great Sebastian!

If you have a group for the windows, set the density property to .001. Also there must be some kind of geometry behind the window. Exposed camera background will not render correctly.

works like a charm... thanks mark :)

• Hash Fellow
started animating... this is the first scene, just the bald guy eating alone, bored. i´m not sure about it yet. i want it to be slightly exaggerated, not sure if i should do more or less movement. any suggestions?

what do you think about the music?

There's something odd about the shadowing on his chin... it makes it look like his jaw is going down while his mouth goes up.

started animating... this is the first scene, just the bald guy eating alone, bored. i´m not sure about it yet. i want it to be slightly exaggerated, not sure if i should do more or less movement. any suggestions?

what do you think about the music?

There's something odd about the shadowing on his chin... it makes it look like his jaw is going down while his mouth goes up.

yeah, i need to work on the chewing, it doesn´t look right yet...

did a little more animation today. is it clear to the viewer that he´s surprised about the cat? and that the cat wants some food?

lol...YES it's clear. He also looks a bit worried as well as surprised...and yes the cat wants food.

This is such inspiring, fun work!

Edited by NancyGormezano

did a little more animation today. is it clear to the viewer that he´s surprised about the cat? and that the cat wants some food?

lol...YES it's clear. He also looks a bit worried as well as surprised...and yes the cat wants food.

This is such inspiring, fun work!

thanks... great, that´s what i was going for: surprised and a bit worried/suspicious.. :)

Cat looks great!

@rob: yeah, it´s because of the shading... not sure what to do about it...

Can you show a wireframe render of that same chewing animation?

there you go... actually the jaw doesn´t move that much at all... it only moves a bit down and to the right, then up and to the left. the rest of the movement is just the mouth wandering around, independent from the jaw.

wiretest.mov

• Hash Fellow
there you go... actually the jaw doesn´t move that much at all... it only moves a bit down and to the right, then up and to the left. the rest of the movement is just the mouth wandering around, independent from the jaw.

I think it works better in wireframe because we have a visible chin spline and no shadow line wandering around.

If you really want the chin to be so motionless maybe the simplest thing would be to move the light so that the shadow line is always below his chin and not on the front of it. As the mouth moves around that seems to be shifting the shadow and the moving shadow implies a contour that is moving when really there isn't one there.

Or... also... he could have a tiny hipster goatee on his chin to make it obvious that the chin isn't moving even though the mouth is.

I think it works better in wireframe because we have a visible chin spline and no shadow line wandering around.

If you really want the chin to be so motionless maybe the simplest thing would be to move the light so that the shadow line is always below his chin and not on the front of it. As the mouth moves around that seems to be shifting the shadow and the moving shadow implies a contour that is moving when really there isn't one there.

Or... also... he could have a tiny hipster goatee on his chin to make it obvious that the chin isn't moving even though the mouth is.

both worth a shot! thanks.

btw... the gig (the reason i initially started this thread) was confirmed on friday by the client. i have a meeting tomorrow where we´re going to make a rough storyboard... :) it will be more simplified, stylistic, with typographic elements as well... it´s not gonna make me rich or anything, in fact it isn´t paying nearly my hourly rate, but i´m still very happy about it, because the client is really pleasant to work with, and it´s going to be a lot of fun!

I always find it unsettling to hear modern English words in foreign movies. :D

in certain industries almost everything is in english, especially in advertising agencies. ;)

many people like me sometimes just don´t know the german word for certain things any more, a lot of english words even made it into the german dictionary.

for me it´s somehow natural, since i grew up with skateboarding, graffity and hiphop, and now i work with software that requires english, i mainly watch us-shows and movies, and i read english books... sometimes i even catch myself thinking in english and then i think "what the .... is wrong with me" :D

but i have the feeling it´s kinda hip to use german words for you guys, too... more and more often i start to hear german words in us shows and movies, like "schmutz" for instance. could be because of the many jewish writers...

• Hash Fellow

Maybe you need a language police like the French have.

but i have the feeling it´s kinda hip to use german words for you guys, too... more and more often i start to hear german words in us shows and movies, like "schmutz" for instance. could be because of the many jewish writers...

They would probably say they were using "Yiddish" although that seems to be pretty much slightly misspelled German.

It's hard to think of many German words that have made it straight, unaltered into standard non-comedy English even though most of English originates as German.

dachshund

Kindergarten

gesundheit

I'm sure there are a few more.

Maybe you need a language police like the French have.

They would probably say they were using "Yiddish" although that seems to be pretty much slightly misspelled German.

It's hard to think of many German words that have made it straight, unaltered into standard non-comedy English even though most of English originates as German.

dachshund

Kindergarten

gesundheit

I'm sure there are a few more.

There's also Doppelganger and more importantly for us story tellers; Schadenfreude ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Impressive work!

There is something about the eyes of both characters that I'm wishing would slightly change at optimum moments to keep the feeling of life in the characters.

I don't think I'd add blinks as this seems to be almost a staring contest but some minor drifting or shifting of the eyes as the man's attention moves from plate to cat and back again might do the trick. I'd say the same for the cat but perhaps only with a slight narrowing of the eye lids to continue the idea of that he thinks... he knows... he is above eating that sort of thing.

Edit: You've got lots of good eye movement and blink in the man up to the point of seeing the cat. It's after that the eyes freeze (purposefully no doubt). Just a subtle movement, even in only one eye/eyelid would IMO improve upon that. My thinking is that even if mostly unconscious underneath the frozen exterior of the face is a settling of the muscles that relaxes (or tightens) the jaw and eyelid(s) which helps to reveal (or anticipate) the emotion within.

Impressive work!

There is something about the eyes of both characters that I'm wishing would slightly change at optimum moments to keep the feeling of life in the characters.

I don't think I'd add blinks as this seems to be almost a staring contest but some minor drifting or shifting of the eyes as the man's attention moves from plate to cat and back again might do the trick. I'd say the same for the cat but perhaps only with a slight narrowing of the eye lids to continue the idea of that he thinks... he knows... he is above eating that sort of thing.

Edit: You've got lots of good eye movement and blink in the man up to the point of seeing the cat. It's after that the eyes freeze (purposefully no doubt). Just a subtle movement, even in only one eye/eyelid would IMO improve upon that. My thinking is that even if mostly unconscious underneath the frozen exterior of the face is a settling of the muscles that relaxes (or tightens) the jaw and eyelid(s) which helps to reveal (or anticipate) the emotion within.

hmm.. i think i´ll try that. and you´re right, it´s supposed to be some sort of staring contest, but maybe it´s too frozen... thanks.

• Hash Fellow

Here's a more significant film-making problem... the "screen direction" is getting flipped from one shot to the next.

The master shots are from one side of the table....

shot01o.jpg

But the close-ups are from the other side...

closeups.jpg

If the master shot were from the other side, it would match the viewpoint off the close-ups....

shot01.jpg

Alternately, you could change the view point for the close-ups to match the original master shot view.

This is also known as the 180° rule. It is very important in keeping the cutting of the shots seamless to the viewer.

In live action movies they will actually flip the film if they don't notice this until after shooting is done, but in animation it's easy to fix.

thanks to all, very encouraging.. :)

Here's a more significant film-making problem... the "screen direction" is getting flipped from one shot to the next.

The master shots are from one side of the table....

shot01o.jpg

But the close-ups are from the other side...

closeups.jpg

If the master shot were from the other side, it would match the viewpoint off the close-ups....

shot01.jpg

Alternately, you could change the view point for the close-ups to match the original master shot view.

This is also known as the 180° rule. It is very important in keeping the cutting of the shots seamless to the viewer.

In live action movies they will actually flip the film if they don't notice this until after shooting is done, but in animation it's easy to fix.

rob, you´re right, but i´m not sure if this is that easy to fix for me. if i´d change the "master shot" angle, i wouldn´t have the cafe in the background anymore and it´s necessary to show the cafe in the background i think. if i´d change the camera angle of the other shots i´d have just the cafe in the back as well, which would be a little bit boring. of course, i just choose those angles because of the more cool backgrounds i could create viewing through those angles, showing the street, the city, mountains and sky in the background. i don´t know if it´s that bad in my case not following that rule. i don´t have any action going on where the change of direction would be confusing. at the moment i can´t think of any satisfying solution. i want to show the cafe, but i want to show the city as well, and the street, and definitely the car... i´ll have to think about that. i´m not too sure about rules in general, there´s a lot of design and typography rules which i break on purpose every day, but i´m more confident in design and typography as i am in filmmaking ;)