Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character Models - Franky

Ilidrake

Here you will find the latest updates on the model Franky for the project.

Hey Rodney just updated my svn and saw the spline layout you did for Franky. Love it :)

That's exactly how I envisioned him when I was writing the script.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the first go at Franky. I want a sort of hulking figure to him but do not think I have it going here. I could really use some pointers on the best method to achieve this. I thought about just modeling him and letting the skeleton do the rest, such as the stooped over look.

Any pointers?

Franky0.jpg

good start! try to reduce the hunchback, at the moment he looks more like igor than hulk ;)

maybe it would be a good solution to use a rotoscope, the web is packed with hulk-images for reference.

but if you´ll make him as beefy as hulk, you might want to think about making the face a little bit meaner, at the moment he´s looking very soft and boy-ish, that doesn´t fit exactly the bodystructure of a hulk.

• Admin

I agree with Sebastian...

The difference between the hunchback look and what might be ideal will be Franky's spine.

What I think you might be going for more is a giant character who is leaning forward which from the front might make him/her look hunchbacked but from the sides you'll be able to see a smooth flow from the head to the hips via the spine. The difference being that the spine will be noticeably more curved than an average human. This is different than the hunchback look in that the look you have appears to have a growth going out and up -in addition- to the spine.

I'm getting set to come out of my workweekend shedule so I should have some time to devote to drawing a possible side view.

at the moment he´s looking very soft and boy-ish, that doesn´t fit exactly the bodystructure of a hulk.

It probably should be noted that... spoilers on...

Franky is a bit confused. He/she/it doesn't quite know if it is (or wants to be) a girl or a boy.

It's not quite there but it's getting closer. I'm going to follow through with this shape for now. Of course this isn't the final look (they never are) but it's more inline with what I envisioned.

Quick update! Here's him with the legs and the start of one arm.

For those wondering, those legs are borrowed from another model. Guess which. I think they fit him nicely :)

Franky0.jpg

Franky0.jpg

• Admin

He looks considerably more geeky than I was moving toward. ;)

Here's what I came up with when the word 'hulk' was mentioned.

The image isn't what is important here... it's the spine that I was most interested in.

I started modding your current Franky but the head splineage was a bit too dense to move everything to the places I wanted them.

I do think the spine is the key here regardless of the final look of Franky.

Interestingly, you used Eddie's legs as a starting point... I grabbed Rabbit's. Hehe

Franky.png

Interesting. My main reason for hoping I could model the body was because I did not want to remodel the head. Well that has changed. Today while working I sketched out a new style for old franky. It's really out there but for some reason I really like it :)

I'm going to start on it tomorrow and should have some update pics within the following week. But, like Cleo, I am learning that characters will change in apperance alot! So the next carnation may work and it may not. Either way it's all good. Keep your eyes peeled for updates.

Rodney! Did you check out the map in my folder on the svn?

• Admin

I hardly ever 'like' anything.... but you've got me looking for the 'like' button. :)

Nice.

Suggestion: As you move forward consider building him modularly.

It might be something of a challenge but having Franky in separate parts might pay off.

(You might be able to bind the parts to a standard rig like the process used to connect to BVH motion files)

• 2 months later...

So here I am. Able to finally make an update.... Decided to take another approach to Franky and here is what I have so far. What say ye? Not sure how I'm going to do the stitch work yet so I am simply moving forward with the basic model for now.

Frank_Pass_00.jpg

• Admin

Looking good so far Lloyd! :)

Edit: I looked back up through this topic and that previous guy sure does have personality.

There are enough characters in your movie that hopefully you can use that guy too.

The earlier concept is immediately disarming (cute).

This new one is considerably more menacing (stern).

It'll be fun to see where you go with this.

The model continues. This is the first set of custom hands I have modeled in almost 5 years!!!!! Over all I like the look and feel.... but that could change. At any rate if this isn't the final Franky model I know I can use him just about anywhere else.

Frank_Pass_00.jpg