Wiki

Ilidrake

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lloyd, have you considered shooting day for night?

Here's an example:

dayfornight.jpg

The lighting setup on both images is exactly the same. However, to make it look like night, I set the global ambience to a dark blue and set it at 30%. Then I added a black fog to the camera. By controlling where the fog starts and becomes solid, you can control where your light falls off. Finally, I created a 1-patch model that was colored blue and the transparency set to 60% and place it in front of the camera.

You could adjust the transparency of the blue patch to allow more to show through.

In post, you could slightly desaturate the image and help control the darkness, as well.

I find this much easier and controllable than trying to simulate darkness in the choreography.

• Admin

Mark,

Since most of the entire movie will be dark, lighting will be something of a challenge but I think you are on to something here.

I like the way you think.

Edit: The problem with a gel or similar screen over the camera is that it will tint everything in front of the camera.

I have a feeling the lighting will have to be more dynamic than that. Now, if we are compositing characters over that tinted level/background that might work to some extent but then we still have the issue of lighting the foreground. It'll definitely take some testing to get the right look without making the film too dark. There will likely need to be considerable contrast to have important elements of each scene stand out.

• Admin
And I been trying to figure out how to add you to my Skype list but no dice...

As I'm going into my weekend... it'll be better to leave Skype connectivity until Tuesday.

It shouldn't take long to get connected but I've a feeling my desire for 'realtime' Skyping over the weekend is going to be minimal.

Day for night has been around for over a hundred years, Rodney. I didn't invent it.

Yes, but you reminded us of it here.

Solutions like that make you a bit awesome in the feedback category. :)