Hash, Inc. Forums

Patch modeling

Dpendleton77

• Admin
You mean at the start up of the A:M program?

The blue screen with the building.

At the bottom click the button that opens the menu in a web browser and then click on the modeling link.

It'll look like the attached.

If you've gotten rid of this menu you'd have to reset A:M to get it back (or simply navigate directly to the video menu which is at http://www.hash.com/startup/).

V17videomenu.png

There is a brand new patch modeling tutorial currently linked from the startup screen by the ever talented Fuchur.

If you have V17 (not sure of earlier versions) you can also go help->Introduction

r

Patch modeling hasn't changed very much, so any of the tutorials out there are still relevant.

The ones that changed my life were Barry Zundel's Animation Training Videos. They were available on DVD when I purchased them, but now you can get them as individual movies.

Some of the concepts that I believe are central to patch modeling in A:M I covered in my comic book tutorials here. I had a locked thread with just the tutorials, but Rodney seems to have tossed it into the haystack again. :-)

Largento I like the comic book style of your tutorials,do you have more of these around?

Thanks, Douglas. No, those are all of them. I had thought once or twice about doing more, but I did think I had covered all the key concepts I had wanted to. All of them were things that had been key to my understanding of modeling, but things I wasn't finding in the learning materials. I guess the old timers just assumed you understood them. Spline Continuity isn't obvious, but it's enormously important.

Barry's videos are great. He walks you through everything warts and all. The only really important change to modeling is that you can hold down the shift key to start a new spline with new continuity. He was either unaware of it, or it was a new feature.

Largento I like the comic book style of your tutorials,do you have more of these around?

Thanks, Douglas. No, those are all of them. I had thought once or twice about doing more, but I did think I had covered all the key concepts I had wanted to. All of them were things that had been key to my understanding of modeling, but things I wasn't finding in the learning materials. I guess the old timers just assumed you understood them. Spline Continuity isn't obvious, but it's enormously important.

Barry's videos are great. He walks you through everything warts and all. The only really important change to modeling is that you can hold down the shift key to start a new spline with new continuity. He was either unaware of it, or it was a new feature.

What about a tut to make them how can I say it puppets? I also bought stalled trek great stuff.

The blue screen with the building.

At the bottom click the button that opens the menu in a web browser and then click on the modeling link.

It'll look like the attached.

If you've gotten rid of this menu you'd have to reset A:M to get it back (or simply navigate directly to the video menu which is at http://www.hash.com/startup/).

No need to reset: It is available through the "Help"-menu too. Click on "Introduction".

See you

*Fuchur*

Douglas, Good first attempt to follow barry's videos----I cannot be much coach as my modeling skills are still pretty poor but something to keep in mind are just some simple lines ---like for instance our shoulders and arms are rather smooth transition --so one simple improvement is to level off the difference from the shoulder to arm making it more a straightline. But like I said I am not one to cast any judgements -----and bravo for posting your efforts ---a lot more courage than I have had.

So kudos and keep going.

• Hash Fellow

If it always looked great the first time you tried it, everyone would be doing it. B)

Remember to never have one spline end where two other splines are already crossing.

And what vertex said... that arm is too low on the torso.

Nice start, Douglas. I believe others have written to Barry and he's sent them the rotoscope he's using to help. You can also do a google image search for character model sheets and find suitable images to use.

Keep in mind that joints (elbows, knees, wrists, shoulders, etc.) usually need at least three splines. The outer two hold the shapes of the connecting parts and the center one handles the bending.

Avoid placing splines very close together. They don't like that. Best practice is to try to keep a spline in the center of the two surrounding splines, if possible.

Keep going, though! The more you do, the more this will start to make sense.

I was messing around flipping normals and I got this. I did another torso hopefully I got it. :)Front.jpg

In general the spline-flow is okay but you should have a look at the upper spline running from hand through body at the shoulder.

Is it intended to be that hard of and edge at the shoulder?

See you

*Fuchur*

I was messing around flipping normals and I got this. I did another torso hopefully I got it. :)Front.jpg

In general the spline-flow is okay but you should have a look at the upper spline running from hand through body at the shoulder.

Is it intended to be that hard of and edge at the shoulder?

See you

*Fuchur*

I was messing around with the "peak" function to see if I could get them sharp. I will take a look at these again.