Hash, Inc. Forums

(Comments on ) Looney Tunes DVD collection

robcat2075

• 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow
1 hour ago, fae_alba said:

Ok how about this....shadowing on the sign letters has the sun to the left, but the shadowing on the gate and pillars has the sun coming from the right.

Yeah, someone must have been copying letters off a sample font sheet without thinking how drop shadows worked. 🤔

There's another one in there.

• Hash Fellow
2 minutes ago, largento said:

The gate is attached on both sides, but there's no division between it. (It can't open.) Still, it could just be ornamentation above the actual entrance.

I've wondered about that. The attachments to the pillars are so slight to be hinges that I figure it really is just an ornamental span.

There is a more glaring problem remaining, however. 😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
4 minutes ago, itsjustme said:

It doesn't look like the palm tree has a shadow?

Hmmm. If the light is coming from the upper right (as lighting on the stone pillars suggests) you might not need a shadow from the tree.

What I'm looking at is a clear human mistake and awkward quick fix.

• Hash Fellow
2 hours ago, Wildsided said:

If it's a good picture isn't centered properly? 

Ding Ding Ding Ding!

ParallelGratefulDipper-max-1mb.gifParallelGratefulDipper-max-1mb.gifParallelGratefulDipper-max-1mb.gif

You are correct!

It looks like someone totally forgot the "IF" and then just tacked it on the side to shoot the scene. 😀

I guess with water colors, repainting the whole line would not work?

I remember just barely noticing it when I saw that cartoon on TV, back in the 80s maybe.

But I wasn't sure if i had seen it or not and I never saw it again until I got this DVD set.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

scenes from un-aired pilot for a TV series starring William Schallert and trouble-making cartoon character named "Philbert."

This was primarily a project of Friz Freleng.

Live action directed by Richard Donner, later of "The Omen," "Superman" and "Lethal Weapon" fame.

Schallert2.JPG   SchallertNet.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

"The Aristo-Cat" (1943) is famous for the backgrounds by John McGrew.  So flat that the stairs don't have steps except for the cat's feet telling you where they are.

AristocatA.jpg

AristocatB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

On one of the commentary tracks the difference between Sylvester's and Daffy Duck's voice is brought up.

It is not that "Daffy" is Mel Blanc's "Sylvester" voice sped up, although that much is true.

The real difference, according to Mel Blanc, is that Sylvester is Gentile and Daffy is Jewish. In Mel Blanc's mind, Daffy was a Jewish comedian, a vaudevillian.

daffy10.jpg?format=1500w

On 6/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, robcat2075 said:

On one of the commentary tracks the difference between Sylvester's and Daffy Duck's voice is brought up.

It is not that "Daffy" is Mel Blanc's "Sylvester" voice sped up, although that much is true.

The real difference, according to Mel Blanc, is that Sylvester is Gentile and Daffy is Jewish. In Mel Blanc's mind, Daffy was a Jewish comedian, a vaudevillian.

daffy10.jpg?format=1500w

When learning about layout I remember my teachers saying to be cautious about how background objects lineup with characters heads,
here it looks like the animators lined up Daffy intentionally under that tree... it adds to the humour.

• 2 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

"Super Snooper" (1951)

Booze, guns and cigarettes. Just what you need to make sure this cartoon is never seen on Saturday morning.

DaffyCigD.jpg

DaffyCigC.jpg

DaffyCigB.jpg

The skylight in the back is a classic device of the film noir style. It's not easy doing film noir... in Technicolor!

DaffyCig.jpg

• Hash Fellow

"One More Time" (1931) is a Mickey Mouse cartoon after a transporter mishap. It looks like Mickey, it moves like Mickey but... something is not quite right in this universe.

Machine guns, rap battles, and lots of toe-tapping big-city jazz.

Also... "One More Time" sure sounds a lot like "42nd Street".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

In "Satan's Waitin'" (1953,) Hell for cats is like one of the visions of Fatima, a fiery pit of snarling, snapping, bulldog demons.

I don't think this one ever made it to the Bugs Bunny-Road Runner Funtime Hour on Saturday morning.

SatansWaitinA.jpg

SatansWaitinB.jpg

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

This cartoon must have been filmed in my house.

It has the mice, it has the obsolete "post and tube" wiring, and it has the boards just barely held together by a nail driven through a corner.

"Yankee Dood It" (1956)
PostAndTubeYankeeDoodIt1956.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

There must have been a fear in the 1950s that Americans weren't understanding the blessings of capitalism.

"Yankee Dood It" (1956) is one-half cat-and-mouse cartoon, one-half shoemaker-and-elves, and one-half lecture on productivity and market competition.

YankeeDoodIt_Easel.jpg

YankeeDoodIt_Profit.jpg

YankeeDoodIt_Dividends.jpg

This and two other like-minded WB cartoons were financed by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.