Hash, Inc. Forums

(Comments on ) Looney Tunes DVD collection

robcat2075

Just bought. Been waiting for years to snag a good deal like this for Looney Tunes. Thanks :)

EDIT: I notice that The Twilight Zone complete Blu-Ray collection is 170 dollars compared to the nearly 400 dollar regular price

• 4 weeks later...

Since the set arrived, the family and I have been usually watching a bunch before having supper. It is nice to finally have these on DVD. So I must say, thanks for letting us all know that they had gone on sale!

I don't have the patience you guys have. I watched them cover to cover every time a volume was released. :-)

What was great about having them (and the other cartoon DVDs I amassed when I was gainfully employed) was that I was able to introduce them to my nephews and give them a sort of animation education to try to counter the low quality TV animation they take in on a daily basis.

• Hash Fellow

I guess these Warner Brothers cartoons aren't really ON TV anymore, are they? I thought they would be a perpetual Saturday morning program but there isn't really a Saturday Morning block of cartoons now.

It's hard to believe kids are growing up unaware of these. It's ... un-American!

I think they do show butchered versions of some of them, but they are more or less comic asides between other programming. There's also a looney tunes show which is some kind of situational comedy with bugs & daffy living in suburbia.

Bland & cutesy.

My nephews watch some pretty terrible stuff on Netflix, but they are too young and unsophisticated to know there's a difference.

• Hash Fellow

Stan Freburg's commentary track where he just repeats the lines his character said is almost as informative as Arnold Schwarzenegger's "Hey I remember doing this scene" commentaries. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

This is an interesting technique. The camera is "following" Daffy as he runs to the left but the background isn't just moved to the right, it's slanted to the right also.

(from "Drip-Along Daffy")

slanted.jpg

• *A:M User*

Probably should have bought these when I had the chance.

As far as Saturday morning cartoons go, I don't think those have been on for a while. At least, I can't remember the last time I went looking for them that they were on. Late '90s maybe? I think most stuff is just on Cartoon Network these days.

• Hash Fellow

the overhead luggage compartment on this old plane looks unsafe to me. I wonder if there was really a plane like this or if the artists just figured it must be like on a train.

("Yankee Doodle Daffy" 1943)

luggage.JPG

• Hash Fellow
No they really were like that, more or less! This photos from British Airways circa 1940's;

I wonder how many times someone had to get bonked on the head before they fixed that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Is "Sahara Hare" in this collection? (I assume it is)

I see that a nice breakdown of the storyboards has been posted over at "What about Thad" blog:

http://www.whataboutthad.com/2013/06/04/an...of-sahara-hare/

It's the one where Bugs goes head to head with Sam firing cannons back and forth.

We were always entertained when this one showed.

The storyboards (and deleted scene) are most definitely worth reviewing.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

This reminds me of the old "Mission:Impossible" series where they'd show you all the gadgets they were going to use at the start but you didn't know how they all fit into the plan until the end.

So basically, "Mission:Impossible" was 15 seconds of a Road Runner Cartoon stretched out over an hour.

CoyoteTools.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...