Hash, Inc. Forums

I'm losing chor constraints between models when I close...

rusty

Every time I open that project and move that bone and the head doesn't move a dizzy wave of unreality washes over me! How can it work for everyone but me? This is not POSSIBLE!

I recall vaguely that you said the files are on a shared network drive? We don't have that setup. Perhaps something is going screwy with that in that you think you are accessing the new file and you're not really, or there is something in that embedded gawdawful mess of a project with a zillion constraints that the file paths are messed up, and you can't really tell what anything is accessing because it's all embedded?

But the really screwy thing is for you to keep doing the same old same thing you've been doing and expecting a different result.

You must start simplifying your project by eliminating things until it starts to work for you to track it down, or else change your work flow. It may be a bug, or it may be your work flow, system configuration. Since it doesn't fail for me (or Robcat, or Rodney), we can't eliminate anything.

Perhaps, start with getting rid of that hair constraint action, and those odd looking empty folders. Eliminate the geometry. Then look at getting rid of all those shirt pocket path constraint relationships, smart skins, etc...get it down to bare minimum where its still consistently failing.

AND another thing I am dimly remembering: there was some very weird, esoteric bug in A:M with file naming? bone naming? that no underscores or dashes or something like that are allowed. It caused A:M to break, but it wasn't obvious...and it's not clear why, nor if the bug still remains.

Here's another thing to look at - when I examine your project in notepad - I see constraint references to HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform1011...where in A:M PWS I only see the name HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform101

Suspicious?

Do you have another model named HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform1011 (or at one time were working with it) and exchanged that model?

I now have no idea why it works for anyone.

Different_names.jpg

I recall vaguely that you said the files are on a shared network drive? We don't have that setup. Perhaps something is going screwy with that in that you think you are accessing the new file and you're not really, or there is something in that embedded gawdawful mess of a project with a zillion constraints that the file paths are messed up, and you can't really tell what anything is accessing because it's all embedded?

Oh no...but point taken though I fought that demon long ago. No file within the pool is ever linked or even embedded in a wip file. I have simple ways of checking this (I just disconnect the pool).

But the really screwy thing is for you to keep doing the same old same thing you've been doing and expecting a different result.

LOL...its not screwy if I'm getting what I want! I love my setup!

You must start simplifying your project by eliminating things until it starts to work for you to track it down, or else change your work flow. It may be a bug, or it may be your work flow, system configuration. Since it doesn't fail for me (or Robcat, or Rodney), we can't eliminate anything.

Yes...but no. I have a work around (I make copies of the models and don't embed them and it works) and no time to break it down if I don't have to. I regret posting the 'ultra' version of the uniform I did--it has some extra stuff built in to control parts of the shirt for 2 close up shots I need. I've tested the simpler hi-res and low-res models and I get the same thing (so weird).

Perhaps, start with getting rid of that hair constraint action, and those odd looking empty folders. Eliminate the geometry. Then look at getting rid of all those shirt pocket path constraint relationships, smart skins, etc...get it down to bare minimum where its still consistently failing.

Never on the hair constraint action! That's what gives me snap on hair-dos and snap on hair colors (intermixable dos and color across all my virtual actors)! The folders, for the moment are irrelevant as I'm going to totally redo the head except for the mesh.

eAND another thing I am dimly remembering: there was some very weird, esoteric bug in A:M with file naming? bone naming? that no underscores or dashes or something like that are allowed. It caused A:M to break, but it wasn't obvious...and it's not clear why, nor if the bug still remains.

Thanks. I'll watch out for that.

r

Here's another thing to look at - when I examine your project in notepad - I see constraint references to HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform1011...where in A:M PWS I only see the name HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform101

Suspicious?

Do you have another model named HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform1011 (or at one time were working with it) and exchanged that model?

Wow... yes the 101 is a version number. I'll take a look, fix it if needed. And depending on what it is, maybe it doesn't work. Thanks!

Suspicious?

HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform1011 is correct. The extra 1 tells A:M it's the first instance of that model in the chor. If you had 2 instances of that model, the second would be HiResWilliam_KhakiUniform1012.

At least that's how I see it.

• Hash Fellow

The first time you drop a model in the chor nothing should be appended to the model name. If it is dropped in a second time it will get a (2) after the model name.

Are you saying that extra 1 was automatic?

LOL...its not screwy if I'm getting what I want! I love my setup!

I have a work around (I make copies of the models and don't embed them and it works) and no time to break it down if I don't have to.

Uh...so let me get this straight...You don't have a problem? Then why did you start this topic if your setup is working ?

Or is it that your problem is solved by not embedding?

Gee. Sorry you don't have the time to figure this out. I'm done.

Hi!

There seems there maybe some confusion. The problem is still there and the same. It was a show stopper on my end. As someone actually asked(?!), this is why I started this topic.

That the issue works for others but not for me is far too strange. In a way this makes the issue not a problem (it's no problem to anyone else) but rather a quirk unique to me. Fortunately I have found a work around. I have a lot of work to do and no time to chase down quirks if I don't need to. For myself, if it works, it's good enough.

* The issue is closed--I'll spend more time on it and don't expect anyone else to. I thank everyone who spent time and energy on it and value the suggestions and comments I received. I appreciate the help and inspiration I get from this this forum more than I can tell you--it's way cool. If, in the run of this topic, I've upset anyone, it was certainly unintended--I am truly sorry and I apologize but beyond that, well, I don't have time to chase down quirks.

On a personal note, I helped others on this forum for many years but not done so lately which is not fair. I realize this and will try to 'give back' more.

r