Hash, Inc. Forums

2008 Rig Installing Problems

markw

Well once again I find myself in the dread valley of "Rigging" and as always for me its not going so well. So any help would be most gratefully received!

Every time I run the MirrorBones plugin installing the 2008 Rig, it duplicates the 'Neck_Geom' and 'Back2_Geom' bones in the spine. Effectively making the upper left half of the body controlled by a separate rig to the right side.

The other problem I had earlier on when CP weighting, was that there seems to be no controls for curling the thumb?

Shown here are the settings I used for the MirrorBones plugin and the bone hierarchy after running the plugin.

Screen_shot_2013_03_24_at_16.39.37.png

Screen_shot_2013_03_24_at_16.40.33.png

Hi markw,

The photo that show of your mirror bone settings show values of .01 .

The instructions for the for the 2008 rig say to use .1 .

I don't know if changing those values will fix your issue though. If it does not, check to see if the bones representing the spinal column (back, pelvis, head, etc...) all line up along 0 of the x axis.

Please update us here if that works for you or not.

Take care.

Every time I run the MirrorBones plugin installing the 2008 Rig, it duplicates the 'Neck_Geom' and 'Back2_Geom' bones in the spine.

If those bones are centered on "0", they shouldn't duplicate...are they on "0" on the 'X' axis?

Hope that helps.

Thank you Mechadelphia, Bull's eye!!!

So it was staring me in the face all the time. How embarrassing :blush:

@ itsjustme;

Yes the bones were/are dead on "0" for the X axis. It was just that extra 0 I had in the Mirror settings.

That just leaves the lack of curly thumbs.

Any insight as to why I'm unable to curl the thumbs? The fingers work just fine. No doubt I've done something wrong there too, but what…?

There is a small bone at the base of the thumb, when rotated on the Z axis, will curl the thumb. There are also 2 nulls that will also curl the thumb. They will curl the thumb at the different knuckle locations. These nulls can be translated and rotated on the Z axis.

thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark for setting me in the right direction there with the thumb controls.

I also hadn't realized that the 2 nulls work differently when you translate them, than when you rotate them. And unlike rotating one of the thumb bones, the coloured axis rings aren't important.

Very clever!

All is well now, thanks everyone ;)