Hash, Inc. Forums

Pixar patents... interpolating between IK poses?

robcat2075

Sounds right, Robert.

My impression of it all was that it looks at Pose A and Pose B and adjusts the interpolation between the two to have realistic movement, removing the need to go back and key in-betweens to fix the straight-line movement of the joints.

I'd think the patent would have to be for their process of accomplishing this, not the actual doing of that ...since the end goal is to mimic real world anatomical movement, but the document was so dense, I gave up on reading any more of it. :-)

• Hash Fellow

Although we rarely do it anymore, in A:M you can set up a chain of bones, pose them as if they were IK and they will interpolate as if they have been keyed in FK.

So I wonder if this Pixar thing is a similar result.

That's impressive!

I got the impression that Pixar's patent claim analyzed this after (?) the posing and somehow made the compensation based on analyzing the two poses, which would be different than this, but it seems like A:M's solution is much more practical and easier to implement.